Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #31
Husker

Re: 2015 Fresh Water Nationals

I'm pretty sure Mike B has dove Alcova. Not sure about Pathfinder and Brownlow and I have dove Alcova also. I can get with Brownlow and ask about pathfinder. I'll also get with him and Jeremy about the other stuff!
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #32
Husker

Also, I don't know what G&F plan to do in 2015 but this year at Alcova they raised the spear limit on walleye to 12 instead of the normal 2 to help get some of the walleye out of the lake. Maybe it will carry over to '15.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #33
Birdman

Thanks everyone for comments and info. I really would like to be at it for 2015. The most notice possible and I might be able to help depending on schedule. Is finals always a two day event, and is it always teams?
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #34
bowhunter82633

We had a tournament 2 years ago at alcove. The viz wasn't too bad but it was tough finding fish. The walleye were large but low quantity. Some carp but mostly suckers. I haven't speared Pathfinder. I think early June would be great for Keyhole or Glendo when the viz is a lot better. My vote is Keyhole in early June. Chris Brownlow said it is just full of game fish and carp with 15 to 20 foot viz this June.
bowhunter82633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #35
ANYH2O

Keyhole÷÷
What can anyone tell us about Keyhole, size, camping, accommodations, fish???
Would we still have the same support team for a meet there in June?
MM
ANYH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #36
Husker

Keyhole is 9,240 surface acres so it's alittle smaller than Glendo. There's around 140 campsites with 31 of them having water and electrical hookups. Has 3 boat ramps, 1 on the west end of the lake, 1 on the east end and 1 at the marina which is also at the east end. There is also a limited number of motel like cabins on the lake that you can rent out. As far as fish, the lake has plentiful population of carp, freshwater drum, walleye which there's 8-10lb+ fish pulled out every year so the chance of pulling out some toads are pretty good. There's also nice northern pike which has a size limit of 30" smallmouth bass, yellow perch, channel cats and TONS of crappie. This year out viz average anywhere from 10-20ft. First weekend in June is usually best for viz and fish. Looked at schedule for walleye tournaments and there's one last weekend in June so best bet would be either the 1st weekend or second weekend in June. Fairly decent shore diving access. Only downside I could see is it is one of the smaller lakes in Wyoming but still it's not "small" by any means. As far as the support team I can speak for myself and Wyo_Spearo as a go. It's only about 30-45 min from where we live.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #37
Wyo_Spearo

As far as the lake goes I enjoy it every time i'm there decent vis and good fish, the only downsides that people might see is that the closest town of any size is Gillette which is about 45 miles away, but is mainly all interstate. Moorcroft is about 15 miles away but is in the low 1000's for pop and doesn't offer much. pine haven is on the lake but doesn't provide very many amenities, with only have a bar and grill and another bar and a small grocery store. I believe with the carp population and the chance at monster walleye and pike, that Keyhole could hold a great national, and there are plenty of good areas to have weigh ins and places to get together as a whole group and such.
Wyo_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #38
ANYH2O

I just spoke to MB and he likes this Keyhole idea too ---so lets follow up on it and see if we can get a few more divers to chime in, set up to help run it, help research a few logistic items:
-how many motels on the lake?
-nearest boat rentals? or do we make it shore based?
-Any dive shops in the region that might jump in and help run it?
-Permits
-Fish removal!! we really need a local that can find a place for the fish to go-pig farm-protien plant-organic garden, dumpster. This is always a pain and need to be addressed early. Even aguy with a dump trailer would work?
-Central staging area for wt in
-Food for a mini banquet after the meet for awards.
-1 or 2 day meet
-1 or 2 different lakes
RMSA can provide the prizes, trophy's and the promotions, insurance, waivers..
Old 10-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #39
Wyo_Spearo

There is one motel on the lake that is nothing special, and like Husker said some little rental cabins up a couple minutes from the lake, disposal wouldn't be an issue, I have access to a dump trailer and know plenty of friends and family that have large pieces of land close by that we could dispose of them on. There is a local scuba shop in Gillette, i'm not sure if they would want to help but can find out, after talks started with Wyoming on here I looked up permits and they don't seem like they would be any issue. There is a place that would work great for a central staging area by most central of the boat ramps, and has a fish cleaning station where you could set up by for weigh ins.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #40
Wyo_Spearo

The marina has boat rentals, food and such wouldn't be an issue, plenty of people who would cater to a tournament of such, if Keyhole gets the green light then we could work through more of the logistics then, but as far as I'm concerned it is more than capable of catering to a tournament of this caliber
Old 10-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #41
ANYH2O

This all sounds great
As you all do research please get contact names and ph# so we can be ready if we run with this.
boat rental
motels
camping reservations...
Old 10-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #42
wyomingguide
Down Yonder

Keyhole is loaded with game fish and lots of carp so it gets my vote. Ill help out where I can. Ive never seen as many crappie anywhere and theres some really good northerns and walleye. Bass too!!!
Brownlow

PADI Advanced Open Water and Nitrox certified

Http://www.makospearguns.com/
wyomingguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #43
Wyo_Spearo

Spent sometime in the water today out at Keyhole with Husker. It was 52 degrees out when we got in the water....water temp was about the same. We took sometime after to take some pictures of the lake a some of the amenities, there are around 40 pictures so if you go to this link you can view them all for any of you who were wondering what the lake is like. https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...7172CAEB%21127
Old 10-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #44
Birdman

Thanks for the pics, did you guys get in the water?
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #45
Husker

Yup and then got right back out lol. Son that was some cold water!!!