Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 98 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #196
Scale Damage

Re: 100 Ways for a Rig Diver to Die

Raleigh, here's my opinion for some of your questions.

#1. Floater rigs in my experience dont hold many shooter fish on the structure itself, but they do on occasion have pelagic species feeding on bait around them. Use your electronics and chum to get the fish to where you want them.

#2. I never use more than two wraps of line. SS cable on my rig guns and 400lb. mono on my open water guns. The most important thing is to have something on hand to cut whatever line you get tangled in(cable cutters/sharp knife).

#3. There are normally plenty of fish on the rip. We normally put out baits and troll till we found a good mess of fish then we go for them with the spears. If you want to kill dolphin the rip is the place to do it.

#4. Try to put an imaginary bullseye on the fish's brain and try for it every time. Try to stay away from those head on shots and wait for a good broadside shot. It's best to start with smaller fish and try shoot out their eyes every shot to get your acuracy down. Then go after the AJ's and brain shots should be no problem.

#5. I dont know about you but if i black out under water the last place I want to go is to the bottom. I weight myself to have a slow rise when im down about 30 feet.

#6. As for the sharks, diving with that many is never a good thing. At the least your going to lose some fish if not a hand or foot if they get into a frenzy. If you shoot one first make sure it's shark season, then i would use a float and breakaway if freediving.
Scale Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:42 AM   #197
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

Quote:
If its not too much of a bother, I'd like to ask you seasoned fish stabbers to answer a few questions.

1. Okay, so whats the deal with floaters (rigs)? Can we dive them if we stay out the structure or not?

2. How many cable wraps should you use on your gun to be safe if you're attaching the spear to a float?

3. I hit an awsome looking rip coming in from an overnighter last weekend. I decided to jump in but did not see snot. I have not seen anybody talk about spearing fish at a rip. Is it stupid to dive grass lines?

4. You say the best place to shoot a fish above the gill plates. Are you aming for the spine?

5. I've read that you should weight yourself heavy so you don't have to waste energy going down. So if you run out of breath, or black out, some people want to go to the bottom???

6. When i first dove in there were about 20 4'-5' black tips under me. What happens next time I see them and decide to brick one of those? What do you shoot for on shark to stone them?

Thanks for reading my speal. I get all fired up every time i think of that AJ in front of my spear. I can't wait to go get it back, and then fire off his whole family for jacking my riding rig.
You gotta slow down there young Grasshopper. But I'm ready for that drink.

Ok,
1. Floaters, I've never dove one, but I'm told they have large pumps, to keep the rig level. I'm told the pumps suck water through steel grating. I'm told if you are under one and the pump comes on, you will come out the other side like spaghetti.

2. Cable wraps are personal preference, on scuba we use 1 wrap of 3/32" stainless aircraft cable. On my Wong however since it is a shorter gun and a skinnier shaft, I use 2 wraps.

3. Diving grass lines is not stupid, and under large mats of grass are some of the biggest cobias. I did however hang on to a rope, getting pulled behind a boat for about a mile, along a rip. I never shot anything, but I got these tar balls in my hair. I had to wash my hair with mineral spirits that night.

4. The shot is not above the gill plates, it's where the top of the gill plate meets the head. It's also a feeling, poke your finger into your neck right under your ear lobe. Hurts, doesn't it, now imagine a 3/8" shaft hitting you right there, that's what you want the fish to feel.

5. Your weight should be neutrally boyant at like 30', this will make you negative at 100'+. The differences will be much greater in the winter when you wear thick wetsuits. You will find yourself dropping like a rock past 100' once a thick wetsuit compresses.

6. When I see a bunch of little sharks, I usually try to ignore them. If you want to shoot one, shoot him anywhere, enjoy the fight, the idea is not to stone everything you shoot. It's to enjoy what you're doing. Ya know what I've seen run those little sharks off, other than big sharks, if you take one and cut him up, like cut his tail off and cut chunks off of him and throw them over the side of the boat. The ammonia he releases seems to chase the other ones away, usually.

DISCLAIMER: "My spearfishing is entirely legal in the geographic area within which I dive. If you don't like my pictures, posts or website then don't look. I will NOT waste any more bandwidth on this board (or my valuable drinking time) to argue with you ass clowns about it".

http://www.TheRokZone.com/

http://www.HellDivers.org/
Louis Rossignol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:17 PM   #198
FishMasterT
Fish On! Fish On!

Send a message via AIM to FishMasterT

hey rok i found this video for you. It's pretty painful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GrBFCIZN_s 101: "Death by Recoil"
FishMasterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #199
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

Been there done that. At least when I did, I was a testosterone junkie little kid with enough resiliance to come back.

I may have to have someone video me test firing guns in my swimming pool. I have perfected a method to handle all of the most savage guns recoils. I test them to check the trigger pulls.

Ok on a side note,

today, my stomach is churning. I haven't worked on my shit since March, my guns are in my boat and I don't have time to take them out because I'm always launching my shit and diving. And as far as washing my gear, NOT!!!

Again, I really need to get a Yob!!!

I roll into this beautiful rig today, 25 lb. snappers everywhere, other big fish above, amongst those other big fish is a cobia, 80+, my dream fish. If I'm gonna die, I want to be attached to this fish.

The fish is running but giving me the ONE oportunity I need. Broadside, middle of the body, center mass. I hit the mark, I hear crack and know that is his spine, he hits the end of my cable and due to not enough penetration, when he hits the end of the cable, bye bye big fish, ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solution

Work on your shit asshole, you'll win more rodeos!!!

I do hang my head today.

DISCLAIMER: "My spearfishing is entirely legal in the geographic area within which I dive. If you don't like my pictures, posts or website then don't look. I will NOT waste any more bandwidth on this board (or my valuable drinking time) to argue with you ass clowns about it".

Old 06-21-2009, 12:06 AM   #200
FishMasterT
Fish On! Fish On!

Send a message via AIM to FishMasterT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Rossignol View Post
Been there done that. At least when I did, I was a testosterone junkie little kid with enough resiliance to come back.

I may have to have someone video me test firing guns in my swimming pool. I have perfected a method to handle all of the most savage guns recoils. I test them to check the trigger pulls.

Ok on a side note,

today, my stomach is churning. I haven't worked on my shit since March, my guns are in my boat and I don't have time to take them out because I'm always launching my shit and diving. And as far as washing my gear, NOT!!!

Again, I really need to get a Yob!!!

I roll into this beautiful rig today, 25 lb. snappers everywhere, other big fish above, amongst those other big fish is a cobia, 80+, my dream fish. If I'm gonna die, I want to be attached to this fish.

The fish is running but giving me the ONE oportunity I need. Broadside, middle of the body, center mass. I hit the mark, I hear crack and know that is his spine, he hits the end of my cable and due to not enough penetration, when he hits the end of the cable, bye bye big fish, ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solution

Work on your shit asshole, you'll win more rodeos!!!

I do hang my head today.
dang that's tough louis. did get some 25 lbs snappa for supper on your way up from the big boy swimming away?
FishMasterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:34 AM   #201
kylo1597
Pro Snorkeler

Quote:
You ever catch yourself looking at your air guage, then after you do, you don't know what your reading was? You just look but it doesn't register in your brain.

I truly believe an Amberjacks soul goal in life is once he is shot, is to kill the diver. Back in the day, it was like they dared us to shoot them, I mean big ones. These fish know when you are losing the fight, they get more agressive when that happens. You have to command respect from these fish or they will Kill You!
Just found this thread and i'm glad i did! I'm right there with you Rok. I find myself looking at my air gauge 4 times and thinking wtf is my air pressure?? AJ's definitely were put here to hurt us. Every one i have shot kicked my ass, mostly because my inexpirence and "invincibility" thinking that hand to hand combat is the soultion boy was i wrong
kylo1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #202
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

I'm glad you found this thread Kyle, I have put alot of work into it. I've told stuff that I didn't want to repeat.

I must be slightly out of my funk this year as I really haven't had any "bad situations". The reason being is because I'm am travelling at warp speed this year.

Normally, my fat ass is around 185lbs. and this year I haven't gone over 170lbs. I haven't worked out since the Hell Divers Rodeo, but I'm diving so frequently that I can't gain any weight.

CURRENT
Last situation I had this year was for the Louisiana Council of Underwater Dive Clubs Rodeo, or the "SHOOTOUT". I had a plan, but we couldn't make it there the first day or we would have been paddling back to the dock. We suffered, I did by the way score 6pts. My crew 0.

I reamed their asses out on the way, the second day. And in the process, I got us to the big fish that I knew had to be in this spot. When we got there, you could just look into the water and say, "ain't know reasonably sane summbitch jumping into that water"!

We had chocolate milk, blowing through the rig. I told my crew, jump in and swim to the pipe. I threw the float line out, and attached my red sausage thingy, not that I have a f'n clue how to work it.

Lil' Davey and Paul (rookie) jump in, Robbie, our Prez, is busy chumming fish, I run to the front of the boat, while a rig worker watches me, and jump in.

I swam like my arse was on fire but could never get further that the bow of the boat. I eventually let myself drift back to the ladder. My first instinct is to look behind the boat for the other guys, "it's calm and I don't see them. Good, I'm going to try again.

When I didn't see neither of them, I started the boat, motored up to the rig leg, got Robbie straight, the jumped off just before the boat hit the rig leg.

Wow, I made it in and also didn't look so stupid in front of the rig worker watching me.

Well, Robbie tried 2 more times, but sea sickness had the best of him, Lil' Davey and Paul, didn't listen to their captain, Rok, instead of swimming to the rig leg they went straight down. After 15' there was no current and nice pretty water (15' viz). But from the surface, you would have never known that.

Paul did manage 3rd Jack 42lbs., and I managed 3rd Mangrove 10-5lbs.

Also, Rok did win King. My crew did back me up on the boat award. I guess a little ass chewing is all they needed.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #203
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

STORMS

This was one bad mother you don't want to run into.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 AM   #204
mohalk

I'm diggin this thread. I had a few big sharks mess with us last wednesday in the ship shoal area. We had a lot of agressive sharks getting agitated on the outside of the rigs while we were hitting AJ around a 100'. A cuda ripped a snapper literally out of my hands and got caught up in all my cable somehow and jerked my ass around, and john swears we had makos darting around us on the outside, but I didnt notice them because I found a few lobster and watched another diver have his cobia ripped off the stringer by a silky shark...

I'm bringing a 12ga powerhead next time i hit those rigs I think
mohalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:14 AM   #205
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohalk View Post
I'm diggin this thread. I had a few big sharks mess with us last wednesday in the ship shoal area. We had a lot of agressive sharks getting agitated on the outside of the rigs while we were hitting AJ around a 100'. A cuda ripped a snapper literally out of my hands and got caught up in all my cable somehow and jerked my ass around, and john swears we had makos darting around us on the outside, but I didnt notice them because I found a few lobster and watched another diver have his cobia ripped off the stringer by a silky shark...

I'm bringing a 12ga powerhead next time i hit those rigs I think
I've never had any of that happen to me.

Barracuda ripping a fish out of your hands?
Silky taking a cobia?

I know the sharks are getting plentiful out that way especially further out but usually if you stay inside the rig you shouldn't have any problems. Besides, it doesn't look like the powerhead will do you any good accept for revenge.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #206
spearstudtx
Nathan

Quote:
I've never had any of that happen to me.

Barracuda ripping a fish out of your hands?
Silky taking a cobia?

I know the sharks are getting plentiful out that way especially further out but usually if you stay inside the rig you shouldn't have any problems. Besides, it doesn't look like the powerhead will do you any good accept for revenge.
Never had a barracuda rip a fish out of my hands but they sure did tear one off my floatline. Nice mangrove snapper and it all happened before I could turn around and get a shot off. Only ever heard of a shark doing that so my first thought was, "&$#$! not another bull!" They were nice enough to not puncture my floatline though.

I think in Texas I have noticed more sharks in the first 9 miles or so. Seems like the further you get out the less there are. That said, the further you get out, sometimes the bigger they are.

Last edited by spearstudtx; 10-05-2009 at 09:36 AM.
spearstudtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #207
offshoreslingin

Rok, What up man...I dove down there a couple of weeks ago with Al Walker and we just used 60" guns rigged with aircraft cable. I have seen you guys mention "riding rigs" which I unfamiliar with. Would you mind giving more details on these and how you use them? Can't wait to get down there and dive again, I'm hooked on the rigs!
offshoreslingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #208
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

Hooked on the Rigs, is that a pun???????

Just messin'.

Here's some pics and a link on how to make and use a riding rig. Lot's of people have different ideas about their configuration but too me, they are all wrong. I have the perfect configuration. Ok, I know.

I keep sending people to Tomentos to get their guns rigged, then they show up at my house and I cut the damn thing apart, and re-rig it. Then I've developed a way to shoot high powered spearguns in my swimming pool without even getting wet.

One day I need to make a video, but for now this is all you get.

If you've ever shot a fish under an oil platform without a riding rig, and then using one I think it's so obvious why you'd want it. It gives you the power to hold on to fish that want to take your shit away.

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread...ght=Riding+Rig

Old 10-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #209
kylo1597
Pro Snorkeler

im with you. i never would of thought that a rope in your hands vs a speargun would make it that much easier to fight a fish but it makes a world of difference. i'll never go back.
kylo1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:37 AM   #210
guesswork

A riding rig makes a huge difference.
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote