Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Recipe Corner > Recipes Here!

Recipes Here! Here's your little corner to demonstrate your culinary skills.

Old 02-09-2003, 10:15 PM   #1
Steel Shootin'

What is you best Beer Batter recipe?

Does anyone have a good beer batter recipe that is not too heavy? Kind of like a tempura batter is what I'm looking for. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:36 PM   #2
kitefisherman
Spearboard Historian

Scott

Golden Dipt (available at Publix) makes both a beer batter and a tempura batter mix. They are both very simple (add beer & stir), good, crisp and light.

I don't have a "from scratch" recipe, but I think you'll be very pleased with these mixes.
kitefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:56 AM   #3
Nxs Diver

Scott, I use Drake's Crispy Frymix you can get it at publix. I mix 3 or 4 eggs up and then put your grouper chunks in the eggs to coat.Mix the drakes directions on box but the trick is to keep the drakes ice cold.I set mine in a bowl of ice the fish come out golden brown and it's excellent.
Nxs Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:00 AM   #4
Steel Shootin'

Thanks. I'll give both of those a shot. Simple sounds good.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:47 PM   #5
Divin' fool
EC Reformed FREEshafter

Ditto Kite...Golden dipt makes a great tempura. IMHO frying in fresh peanut oil makes ALL the difference.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:01 AM   #6
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Looks like a good place to interject my favorite fried fish recipe. It's real simple. Go to an Asian food store and buy several bags (trust me, you'll use them) of this breading called "Panko". Just ask the store clerk and they'll find it for you. Follow the battering technique on the instructions, or tempura batter the fish then roll it in Panko. A search for Panko recipe on the web will give a lot of good recipes as well. It comes out crispy and brown and KICK ASS! Another simple, crispy, good batter I use is instant dry pancake mix. You need to have the fish slightly wet for this.

Enjoy!
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 10:59 PM   #7
junior

I usually drink all the beer we have left, so beer batter does not usually happen. One tip though, when using a dry coating on fish after dipping into anything, cover a plate with wax paper, lay the fish out and pop it into the freezer for about a half hour or so. This makes the bread crumbs, panko, crisp crispys crisps or whatever else you put on there adhere to the fish much better and you don't end up with a fryer full of burnt breading.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote