Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #31
NCsqrlkiller

Re: Wetsuit lube???

I used Cetaphil skin lotion this week when I was out of my normal stuff. It's made as a skin cleanser for sensitive skin. Mixed it half and half with water. My suit slipped right on and the stuff washed out leaving no residue behind. I might keep using cetaphil. Anybody have any ideas if the stuff may be a bad choice?
NCsqrlkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #32
Joes978

What about McNett Silicone spray? It is supposed to be made for neoprene and mentions that it eases suit entry, but doesn't really talk about being safe for open cell suits.
Joes978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:04 PM   #33
Captain Nemo
Joey P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo Loco View Post
McNett Wetsuit & Drysuit Shampoo.
I use the same stuff didn't even think to use it to lube up my suit. It does work really well in getting out that funky smell if I am too lazy to wash off my suit, gloves, and booties and let them sit for a day.
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #34
toptuna

if you run out of water use pee
Old 12-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #35
Tommy T

http://makospearguns.com/results.php?category=4
I'm just too damn lazy to do anything else but order bottle, open package, spray on & go diving. I brought Suit Slip on the last two boat dives I went on & I can tell you that everyone onboard grabbed & used my bottle of suit slip...& they all had bottles of their own home brew! They don't call us "Freedivers" for nothing!! T
Tommy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #36
Joes978

Tommy, Is that a silicone based spray?
Joes978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #37
Marco

Way too fancy here.... I use wathever leftover conditioner or skin moisturizer there is at home mixed 10-90% with water (just fill the bottle up with water). Both work fine, none hurts your skin nor your wetsuit. Since it's very dilluted it's almost fragance free.

Used shampoo in the past and it does irritate my skin.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #38
stoughs

I use a little "Joy" dish detergent mixed with allot of water, have had no problems for many years, working great. Just like the ear water fix,, just mix alcohol with vinegar 50/50 and it works great ,all good home remidies. Steve
Old 12-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #39
WESTBURY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy T View Post
http://makospearguns.com/results.php?category=4
I'm just too damn lazy to do anything else but order bottle, open package, spray on & go diving. I brought Suit Slip on the last two boat dives I went on & I can tell you that everyone onboard grabbed & used my bottle of suit slip...& they all had bottles of their own home brew! They don't call us "Freedivers" for nothing!! T
X2 on th SS
Suit Slip works great!

WESTBURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #40
SBH20Man
Brent

I use any cheap conditioner that I can tolerate the scent, mixed about 20:1 with fresh water and applied with a spray bottle. Works great, been using it for two seasons on the same suit several times a week and no problems whatsoever, but I wash my suit out well after EVERY outing, and there is usually a slight residue that washes off the suit into the wash bucket, which I assume comes from the lubricants in the conditioner. (Conditioner essentially lubricates hair shafts)

Now, if you are in the mood for something exciting, and are having a hard time with sluggishness on your next dive, I recommend using Dr. Bronners Peppermint oil and hemp Castille Soap (you can get it in 32 oz bottles for $8 at Trader Joes). I keep it on board because it will lather up for washing even in salt water, gets rid of fish stink, AND if you squirt it in your suit, you'll feel like you can swim a mile in record time....

PS, just kidding about the Dr Bronners use inside a wetsuit - I suspect it might cause damage to your sensitive body parts (if you have any, that is)
SBH20Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #41
Captain Nemo
Joey P

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBH20Man View Post
I recommend using Dr. Bronners Peppermint oil and hemp Castille Soap (you can get it in 32 oz bottles...you squirt it in your suit, you'll feel like you can swim a mile in record time....
I was waiting for the just kidding part, good thing you did or some poor SOB would have had a very memorable trip.

on the other hand that stuff does work great. Just not as suit lube.
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote