Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Old 04-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
MuddyRubberDuck
Neil

Need some real post capsize help guys.

I'm sorry in advance if this gets long and tedious, but I will give as much detail as i can.

Two years ago, my friends and I took a trip down to the keys for spring break. I have 2004 Sea Boss 19 bay with a Johnson 4 stroke 90. We went out to do a little diving and capsized the boat. Basically, we were out and had a diver down when we realized that we were taking on water and the bilge pump (since repaired) was not working. We then called a friend on the phone who came out and when he got there he swamped us with his wake when he went to pick up our diver who was clinging to a bouy. Anyway, it was upside down over night and we got it flipped back over the next day and pumped out. We sprayed everything we could down with WD40 to protect against runs. When we got home we flushed the oil until it stopped coming out milky, replaced some switches on the console and pumped the fuel tank. in the end, it ran and ran strong.

Now, it sat for a year and wasn't used. When we tried to fire it up, nothing, nada. We came to the realization that some wires were ordered and pulled out of their plugs. We took it to the shop and had a starter put on. We were told that the harness needs repairing and it needs a fuel pump. Fuel pump, no biggie, I can handle that.

My problem is the wiring, I dont know where to start checking them. Do I start at the throttle first or somewhere else? How do I figure out which spot to put them back in the plug when I put new connectors on them? Also, I can't seem to find a wiring diagram for the exact motor. I would take it to the shop but money doesn't permit right now and I would like to take a stab at it. Also, ironically the bilge pump works right now on the dash. Just no motor and no trim.

Thanks for hanging with me and thanks in advance for any knowledge you can offer.
Neil
MuddyRubberDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
Alexrom1207

Re: Need some real post capsize help guys.

The only thing I can tell you is that I know of only one boat that had a similar problem due to partially sinking....the owner never got the wiring properly fixed.

Obviously the best solution would be to just rip all the wiring out and replace everything. The last thing you want to do is be back out and lose all of your power because your wiring has fried.

My advice (for what it's worth, I'm certainly no expert) is to start from the battery and more your way back. Check battery to the dash/throttle controls or wherever it runs etc.... Get a voltage meter and just go wire by wire back from the battery until you can isolate the problem. But once again, wiring can be so tricky...and the last thing you want is an electrical issue when you're out at sea. Some things are worth having a professional do...boat wiring is one of them.

Best of luck to you though, and sorry I couldn't be more help.
Alex
Old 04-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
ShootnReel

I’m not good with 4 strokes so some of this might not apply. If you submerged the motor and it worked and then sat and now does not start I would suspect the boards (located in plastic housing that you cannot clean) in your charging and your ignition system are now all corroded and bad.

eBay is a good place to look for wiring harness, Power Packs, Rectifiers, and Stators, coils some of which I would be looking at on a 2 stroke but same idea on 4 stroke. If it’s a plastic box with weirs coming out of it it’s probably bad. Check all of the boot connectors for corrosion as well anywhere the water and moisture would not dry out will need help.
ShootnReel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
skiff

Unfortunately, and I know this is not what you want to hear, but all of the wiring in your boat is now worthless. Typically, in a post capsize situation, the wiring is considered toast and the boat has to be completley re-wired. For peace of mind, it is the prudent way to go, though I know it's a hassle. If you have insurance, the provider will most likely consider a capsize a 'total', and you can go that direction.
skiff is offline   Reply With Quote