Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
IamAquaMan
Spear Happy

Spearfishing wetsuit

looking for recommendations on a spearfishing/freediving wetsuit. I currently own a Mako reversible one piece. I just used this wetsuit for the first time in the keys last weekend. It seemed to be very warm and uncomfortable. I do not feel the suit is flexible enough. After an hour I stopped using it for the rest of the trip. I am now hoping to find a 2 piece open cell suit or something more flexible. Is 3mm to thick for Florida? I was hot the whole time. I want a suit that is flexible, comfortable, not too hot, and with camo. I was thinking of the Salvimar I have posted below but I do not believe that is open cell but I like the idea that it is only 1.5 mm. Any suggestions would help, thanks.

Mako wetsuit

https://www.makospearguns.com/Camo-S...mm-p/m1ybg.htm

Salvimar Wetsuit

http://www.houseofscuba.com/product/...HHwaAjEY8P8HAQ

IamAquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

Re: Spearfishing wetsuit

There is no wetsuit at 1.5mm that is open cell and if there is one do not buy because it will not last. Your best bet is a 3mm open cell. The Salvimar double lined does have some elasticity but no double lined suit will ever be as comfortable as an open cell suit.

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #3
jfjf

I have to suspect the MAKO 2 mm suit was too tight or too small for you. I find mine pretty comfortable.

However, with the back zipper, nylon on both sides and no hood, I find the suit comfortable for warm water.. maybe 76 to 85 degrees? I have not used mine for months now because the water is way too cold.

If you buy a two piece freedive suit with attached hood and smooth interior rubber (and no zippers) that type of suit is going to be a good bit warmer than the MAKO 2 mm back zip suit.

You must tolerate cool water extremely well. As the water warms, maybe a dive skin or lycra top and pants and possibly a shorty wetsuit over the top would not be too hot and should be very comfortable. A 1.5 mm suit with no lining on the inside will be very delicate.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:09 PM   #4
IamAquaMan
Spear Happy

I would like to wear full lycra camo top,bottom and hood instead of a wetsuit during spring and summer, maybe wear a wetsuit when water temp drops lower. Does wearing lycra instead of a wetsuit affect freediving. I am getting certified in July and they seem pretty persistent that I wear a wetsuit. I still want a wetsuit. I guess I
will just have to go with a 3mm 2 piece open cell. Just hoping it is no big deal to wear lycra when it is warmer

Old 04-06-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
jfjf

I THINK they want you to wear a wetsuit for the buoyancy characteristics as well as the warmth.

You will die in a 3 mm two piece in the summer - if the one piece 2 mm was too warm.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:13 PM   #6
hydroid

I buy the Henderson Microprene and glue the chest pad on myself and do my own camo painting. By far the best suit I've used, tougher than nails. They are usually under $100 with free shipping if you do a search.
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:23 PM   #7
Triton

Once you wear a good 1.5mm open cell you'll never go back to a lined version again! The Yazbeck 1.5mm wetsuits are awesome and hold up just as well as a 3mm does. Haven't found any others that are made well enough to have any longevity. I'm also having another run of our own Benthic suits made by Yazbeck in 1.5mm that hold up great and are amazingly comfortable. They also have good seals so my personal 1.5mm open cell has turned into a late spring through late fall suit!
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #8
Behslayer

Aquaman, check out the Lycra Hooded Shirt and Pant from Rob Allen or HexSkin. Those are good for when it's hot.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:38 AM   #9
Red Tide

The Yazback is good. I have owned several of those over the years. The best 1.5 m suit I have found is the SpearPro. It is expensive, but in this case you get what you pay for. I bought it last year and wore it for about 5 months. Very happy so far and will be bringing it out of the closet for season two in another month.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:53 AM   #10
IamAquaMan
Spear Happy

Red Tide, you said the spearpro was expensive. Is this the right one

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-spppcwlr...P-adType%5EPLA

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Glad to hear I'm not crazy for thinking Lycra or a 1.5 during warmer months. I'm liking the Rob Allen Lycra. I will probably get both a 1.5 suit and a Lycra suit. Now I just need to decide between Yazbeck and Spearpro they are pretty much the same price

http://yazbeck.com/shop/yazbeck-hamour-wetsuits/

Old 04-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #11
Cobalt06

I just picked up the Salvamar Atlantis 1.5mm Wetsuit from Leisure pro for around $200. I love it. Very Flexible and not to warm down here in the Caribbean. AND I don't need to use lotion to get it on and off.
Cobalt06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #12
getawayFK
Spearo-doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprus_Spearo View Post
There is no wetsuit at 1.5mm that is open cell and if there is one do not buy because it will not last. Your best bet is a 3mm open cell. The Salvimar double lined does have some elasticity but no double lined suit will ever be as comfortable as an open cell suit.

FYI I've been using a 1.5mm yazbeck hamour open cell, and this is my 2nd season in it. True that you will need extra care putting it or removing it, but short of that, durable as well and the softness of this suit is unbeatable. Perfect for temps 77-83F.

Hammerhead makes something similar. Those are perfect from the FL water during the late spring or fall season, as well as Carolinas water from June-October

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2017, 07:43 PM   #13
Onefasteuro

Heard quite a bit of Bad stuff from the Salvimar... Not familiar with the Mako.
If you go open cell i'd go with a 3mm, after a summer of diving it will be a 1.5mm due to the compression.
We have some Oceaner Open-cell 2mm and 3mm. in the low 200s if you're local to Pompano.

Cheers.
FII Freediving Course/Trips Schedule
Facebook @DriftFreediving
Instagram @drift_freediving
Onefasteuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #14
Red Tide

Sorry for the slow reply. I just now saw this thread again. Yes that is the SpearPro suit. I have owned several of the 1.5 Yazback suits over the years. They were the only game in town. This new s
SpearPro suit is excellent. I got mine from Benthic Ocean Sports. https://benthicoceansports.com
Cheers,
G.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAquaMan View Post
Red Tide, you said the spearpro was expensive. Is this the right one

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Glad to hear I'm not crazy for thinking Lycra or a 1.5 during warmer months. I'm liking the Rob Allen Lycra. I will probably get both a 1.5 suit and a Lycra suit. Now I just need to decide between Yazbeck and Spearpro they are pretty much the same price

http://yazbeck.com/shop/yazbeck-hamour-wetsuits/
Old 05-04-2017, 10:24 PM   #15
JohnAndrew
@spearingdestin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprus_Spearo View Post
?
Don't tell Yazbeck this.

The Benthic 1.5's made by Yazbeck are fantastic wetsuits. Looking forward to a 2nd season in mine.

Cheers
JohnAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote