Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Tournaments > CMAS World Freedive Spearfishing Championship

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #46
415dvr

Re: 2014 World Spearfishing Championships

If some needy guy wants to piss away his money on some pipedream that shooting trash fish makes him a champion, whatever. The problem is that the public perception has grown up and away from competitions. With the general public's perception of some labeled wet suit wearing clown tossing a stringer of fish on the table being what it is, rightly or wrongly, comps do more harm than good.

Then there's the perception or even knowledge of the competitors antics,see also Silviera, on the road to being assigned a spot on some team, and this is where you and the other self absorbed, myopic wannabes come in. In small words so you can understand it- nobody here cares. This is a my balls are bigger fest between the same egos. It's old and the market around it has grown away from it and there's your reason that companies don't throw fistfuls of $50's at divers anymore and for you to even want to broach the subject after sucking off Jay for your gear and notoriety is further proof of your cluelessness.

When you get done pandering and searching for public acceptance, realize that the real good, as in REALLY good divers could give a shit about competitions and advertising there affiliations or what they want to have the rest of the world know about them from their avatar or signature. They're busy doing what they have to and want to so they can dive and then they're out there doing it without fanfare or "hey, look at me's!" And you're nowhere close to that list but the dwindling line of idiots sniffing around you keeps you from seeing it.

Feel free to quote this in your self centered reply about who you know and you, you, you. But also include the whole thing rather than cutting it up to bolster your side of an argument that again, most if not all of us here and the other place could give a shit about. I'm certain to get a message from Tony now saying this is too harsh but as I'm not in the line waiting to worship you and you get to add tool emoticons with impunity, the hand slap means shit.

Shooting trash for points for glory is done.

Last edited by 415dvr; 11-04-2014 at 03:03 PM.
415dvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #47
Smash
Monterey Bay Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415dvr View Post
If some needy guy wants to piss away his money on some pipedream that shooting trash fish makes him a champion, whatever. The problem is that the public perception has grown up and away from competitions. With the general public's perception of some labeled wet suit wearing clown tossing a stringer of fish on the table being what it is, rightly or wrongly, comps do more harm than good.

Then there's the perception or even knowledge of the competitors antics,see also Silviera, on the road to being assigned a spot on some team, and this is where you and the other self absorbed, myopic wannabes come in. In small words so you can understand it- nobody here cares. This is a my balls are bigger fest between the same egos. It's old and the market around it has grown away from it and there's your reason that companies don't throw fistfuls of $50's at divers anymore and for you to even want to broach the subject after sucking off Jay for your gear and notoriety is further proof of your cluelessness.

When you get done pandering and searching for public acceptance, realize that the real good, as in REALLY good divers could give a shit about competitions and advertising there affiliations or what they want to have the rest of the world know about them from their avatar or signature. They're busy doing what they have to and want to so they can dive and then they're out there doing it without fanfare or "hey, look at me's!" And you're nowhere close to that list but the dwindling line of idiots sniffing around you keeps you from seeing it.

Feel free to quote this in your self centered reply about who you know and you, you, you. But also include the whole thing rather than cutting it up to bolster your side of an argument that again, most if not all of us here and the other place could give a shit about. I'm certain to get a message from Tony now saying this is too harsh but as I'm not in the line waiting to worship you and you get to add tool emoticons with impunity, the hand slap means shit.

Shooting trash for points for glory is done.
Does it make a small man like you feel special because you can disrespect someone who has more talent than you? Do you walk a bit taller? Do you feel like you are just a bit more cool? You know, not every thought that pops into your head needs to be shared. Just shut up and do your own thing and let others do their's without the wisdom of your great mind.

VP, Monterey Bay Tritons
Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #48
Kelsea
judge of my domain

Sven Anderson / Spear Gear / Suit slip .... we all know its you, 415.

Its really sad how bitter and nasty you are.

The dive community helps people who hit hard times.... Im sorry you feel the need to be so hateful towards everyone.

Tony. Take out your trash please.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #49
Birdman

I agree with Smash and Kelsea.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #50
415dvr

Go right ahead.
415dvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #51
alrolex72
Monterey Triton

Our team is officially back from the 29th World Spearfishing Championship and it feels great to be home.

A special thank you to the Peruvian Federation for taking on this massive undertaking. This event was huge and I know that every diver appreciated how special they felt to be part of it.

Congratulations to Spain for putting together a game plan that outsmarted the conditions and then successfully executing it when it counted. Your divers and team were first class in many ways and there is little doubt that you are recognized as one of the most diverse winners in our sport right now.
Congratulations to Portugal for their 2nd place finish & Croatia for their 3rd place finish. An incredible effort and meeting all of you was a pleasure for our team.

Regardless of what the scoreboard says and our overall low performance, I couldn’t be more proud of the effort that our team made. We put in the time, did the work and made every available effort to perform at our best. We all were physically ready, mentally ready, had a game plan and executed to its best ability on the tournament day. During our scouting, we successfully put a plan together that gave us a great opportunity to perform well, with numerous key fish marked. All of our scouting was done during tough conditions and we felt good about being able to see each of these fish again on the tournament day. However an additional 1 meter on top of the 1.2 meter swell made a huge difference over the tournament weekend and the natural complexities of the area simply moved our fish around. Weather patterns are really hard to manage without a high level of experience in the area, which is just the bottom line. The top teams this year have excellent historical knowledge, South American tournament knowledge and other skills that the other nations don’t possess at an equal level.

Rene Rojas, Dan Silveira, Greg Fonts and I represented our team with class and a true love for the sport of spearfishing. We attended the press conferences and all meetings and met amazing people from all over the world that have such diverse and positive opinions of the sport and where it is going. Of course, every country has its challenges and marine management issues but overall the long term goal is to help species grow bigger and reduce overfishing. I know this may be hard to imagine, but it is just far more complex than what we deal with in the United States. I know that I sometimes forget how much ocean our country boarders and controls, in comparison to all the countries that touch the Mediterranean. Very hard to get everyone on the same page and governments to work in harmony for these countries when their focus is in such “different” areas of need.

It was interesting to learn how every country develops their World Team with different levels of funding and focus. But every team truly cares about the future of the sport and the proper management of its resources. Even Peru had high weight limits on specific “commercially valuable” fish and the catches showed it. The most prized catch was the Cabrilla (Calico) as they almost all had good size and weight. There were no eels (Moray, etc) allowed and we only saw 1 Congrio (Conger) weighed. The primary species for the tournament were: Cabrilla, Loro Negro, Chita, Babunco & Pintadilla.

Many of you have made the effort to support the US Team by purchasing shirts and making direct tax deductible donations. You have done this for many reasons and our team extends our deepest thanks. I hope that you continue to support future teams as the World Competition is an experience that is virtually indescribable and the effort is insane.

Our team would like to extend a special thank you to the following donors who believed in our effort and in us individually.

Amadeo Bachar – USOA – CenCal – In Sea – Spearing Magazine – SporTube – Freedive Shop – Sea Sniper – Reef Runner Gear – Omer – C4 – Monterey Bay Tritons – 20 Fathoms DiverR – Addiction Spears – Sturgill Spearfishing – Long Beach Neptunes – LA Fathomiers – Santa Barbara Freedivers – NorCal Underwater Hunters – Liquid Image – Sporasub – Rob Allen – Hawaiian Skin Diver
& to all the many individuals who supported us directly.

The World Competition was an amazing experience and something that is truly hard to describe in words. I believe that the US has equal talent to every top nation, however it takes time and resources to develop an athletic organization and tradition as strong as the European competitors we meet every two years at the Worlds. We were so impressed with the level of organization and size of the scouting teams of the top countries. They are simply playing at a level that the US isn’t at this time. But I don’t believe that defines US Spearfishing. We are a different country with different goals within our spearfishing community. It isn’t necessarily about winning a world competition in my opinion, but more importantly about representing our country properly and making the effort to the best of our available time and resources. The next level, if we as a community and organization choose to go there, is a huge jump . . . HUGE JUMP.

For me, I am truly looking forward to another opportunity to represent the US at a Worlds in South America. Having a chance to experience Peru and see the catches at the end of the day was very eye opening to areas of our diving weaknesses and areas of scouting focus that can be better for a future South American Worlds.

Thank you all again for your support of our team and the growth of US Spearfishing internationally,
CenCal Spearfishing
Monterey Bay Tritions
alrolex72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #52
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Why does everyone think 415 is some sven guy?
I shipped him a gun, his name is like Eric or something.

Alex next time I see you I gotta hear all about the worlds, I'm looking to go 10-20 years down the line if I can
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #53
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
Why does everyone think 415 is some sven guy?
I shipped him a gun, his name is like Eric or something.

Alex next time I see you I gotta hear all about the worlds, I'm looking to go 10-20 years down the line if I can
I could school you but, you'd have to listen to an older guy and you dont have enough money.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:15 AM   #54
diver pat

Some people are into competitions, some people aren't. Competitions without doubt make you an adaptable and thinking spearo, often able to fish in less than ideal conditions. There are some very good divers who have never competed, but the best spearos I know are also the best competition divers. Even a competition where you have to dive in bad conditions shooting fish you wouldn't normally shoot still offer a powerful challenge. The haters can hate all they want. Well done to all those who competed in Peru.
diver pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #55
Kelsea
judge of my domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrolex72 View Post

Rene Rojas, Dan Silveira, Greg Fonts and I represented our team with class and a true love for the sport of spearfishing.
Yes, You all did.

It is my dream to compete at worlds one day. As a woman on a men's team. There are many challenges I face as a woman just to be allowed to reach my dreams..... but it is my dream and I will achieve it someday. Divers like yourself keep that dream alive. Thank you!!
Old 11-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #56
Apneaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsea View Post
There are many challenges I face as a woman just to be allowed to reach my dreams..... but it is my dream and I will achieve it someday.
Really?

A unique take on Freediving and Apnea:
http://apneaddict.blogspot.com/
Apneaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:00 AM   #57
Kelsea
judge of my domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apneaddict View Post
Really?
CMAS rules say yes.

Other countries OPPOSE women on mens teams. And will complain. Seriously.

There is A LOT of gender discrimination in this sport internationally. Ive had this discussion with many many divers world wide... including women who have the same goal.

Its complicated. So, CHAA really. The politics of competition spearfishing is a deep rabbit hole...

Last edited by Kelsea; 11-06-2014 at 03:17 AM.
Kelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:39 AM   #58
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsea View Post
CMAS rules say yes.

Other countries OPPOSE women on mens teams. And will complain. Seriously.

There is A LOT of gender discrimination in this sport internationally. Ive had this discussion with many many divers world wide... including women who have the same goal.

Its complicated. So, CHAA really. The politics of competition spearfishing is a deep rabbit hole...
I know I would hate to spot a good looking woman all day diving
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #59
Marco

Here you can see the welcome of one of the world champions. As you can see, just family and close friends received him. Most people at the airport had no clue who was he.

Bienvenida a Alicante de Samuel Tomas Ramon - YouTube

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #60
Birdman

Question, Do the divers from other countries get paid full time to spearfish, dive,etc? Or do the usually have day jobs and just get to dive more than others or are just naturally better? Thanks for any positive response from anyone who knows.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote