Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:33 AM   #1
grey2112

I give you the endangered Goliath Grouper(s) !!

https://youtu.be/ZNvTInhH8M4

They really made things difficult for me as I was trying to hunt.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #2
Eibwen

Re: I give you the endangered Goliath Grouper(s) !!

Holy toledo! I counted six but it looked like there def coulda been more than that. I wonder if it is their mating season b/c seems strange to have so many together like that.

How was the weather? Looks like you prob got your AJ.
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:44 AM   #3
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
https://youtu.be/ZNvTInhH8M4

They really made things difficult for me as I was trying to hunt.
What a magical wonderful experience to see these beautiful endangered creatures up so close. /s
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #4
SEATUX

I shot an AJ that a big jew fish went after, I got the AJ away from the jew and up against my chest and drove my knife into the top of it's head to stop it from beating me to death. With that the jew came around and grabbed me at the left shoulder, pinning my left arm to my chest and started shaking me violently. I pulled the knife out of the AJ ( which started bucking again) and repeatedly stabbed it into the top of the jew fish's head. During that struggle another jew fish swam up from below me and grabbed the fish on my stringer and started shaking and dragging me down backwards, till the stringer opened and it got all my fish. About that time the one on my shoulder got tired of me stabbing him and he let go of me. I surfaced with my AJ, complete with teeth marks from the jew. I have the picture of the AJ someplace. I was lucky, it could have ended bad.
I have no love for jew fish.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
Eibwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
I shot an AJ that a big jew fish went after, I got the AJ away from the jew and up against my chest and drove my knife into the top of it's head to stop it from beating me to death. With that the jew came around and grabbed me at the left shoulder, pinning my left arm to my chest and started shaking me violently. I pulled the knife out of the AJ ( which started bucking again) and repeatedly stabbed it into the top of the jew fish's head. During that struggle another jew fish swam up from below me and grabbed the fish on my stringer and started shaking and dragging me down backwards, till the stringer opened and it got all my fish. About that time the one on my shoulder got tired of me stabbing him and he let go of me. I surfaced with my AJ, complete with teeth marks from the jew. I have the picture of the AJ someplace. I was lucky, it could have ended bad.
I have no love for jew fish.
Yeah no kidding. Would have had to clean out the wetsuit after that! Good example of why to only hand carry stringer once fish is on it
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
kmoose
Team Headhunter

How well known was the wreck. All of them hanging high in the water column like that usually indicates regular feeding from ham and eggers. Likely a spawning related but if they are getting easy meals regularly they get can get very competitive and aggressive.

For me, I avoid the popular spots and let the JF have it. That said the bulls are so thick now I would gladly shoot with 20 GGs at a time over the bulls. If anyone wants to start thinning the heard you are free to harvest all the bulls you want. I'm sure you have rose bushes to fertilize.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #7
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
How well known was the wreck. All of them hanging high in the water column like that usually indicates regular feeding from ham and eggers. Likely a spawning related but if they are getting easy meals regularly they get can get very competitive and aggressive.

For me, I avoid the popular spots and let the JF have it. That said the bulls are so thick now I would gladly shoot with 20 GGs at a time over the bulls. If anyone wants to start thinning the heard you are free to harvest all the bulls you want. I'm sure you have rose bushes to fertilize.
Supposedly this is NOT a well-known wreck, though I will confirm that when I compare it to my numbers. I've only been out this far a few times and have little to compare it to. Seems like a relatively newer shrimp boat that sank.

I found very little evidence of tackle, anchors, etc. down there - though there is now a brand new spear shaft sticking straight up in the wreck
Old 08-15-2018, 07:11 PM   #8
captadam123

Thats the shrimp boat wreck out of dunedin. Shit tons of jews on it.
captadam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:16 PM   #9
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by captadam123 View Post
Thats the shrimp boat wreck out of dunedin. Shit tons of jews on it.
I figured at least a few people must know about it - damn was it LOADED with goliaths, and had a decent number of lionfish (thought a lot fewer now!)
Old 08-15-2018, 07:23 PM   #10
captadam123

There are some big gags in the structure but we mainly hit it for cobia
captadam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #11
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by captadam123 View Post
There are some big gags in the structure but we mainly hit it for cobia
Didn't see a single cobia Still, those damn jewfish had me nervous while I was spearing.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:42 PM   #12
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

I dove that on the first dive for one of the tournaments. It was a memorable dive. The targets weren't there but coming up and watching the bait flick and shimmer in the morning Sun was surreal. I paused for a while...didn't care about the air deprivation. It wasn't a waste.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #13
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I dove that on the first dive for one of the tournaments. It was a memorable dive. The targets weren't there but coming up and watching the bait flick and shimmer in the morning Sun was surreal. I paused for a while...didn't care about the air deprivation. It wasn't a waste.
Agreed - I actually had more bottom time and saw/experienced more during the dive than I have ever at that depth. I was so relaxed, not working hard, just enjoying the dive - made me feel very good about my diving since I've been hesitant to dive deep. I also have so much damn fish in the freezer I didn't feel like I HAD to shoot anything. So cleaning up the lionfish was a bonus.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:12 AM   #14
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

That's a serious stack of thugs. Around 1:05 there were 11 clearly visible in one panning shot.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #15
sharpshooter

The thugs definitely own that place. Good luck bringing an AJ up to the boat. Years ago, on the Mexican Pride during the SPO. I got to the wreck first. I had to shoot 3 AJs. The first and second AJ got stolen by thugs the size of VWs. Had my gun rigged up with a line shaft. Both times. Bastards keep dragging me down and trying to pull me into the wreck. BC was fully inflated and I was kicking with all I had. Slowly descending and losing the tug of war. Kept thinking I was going to end up like ground beef. Had my knife in the other hand. In case I had to cut the line shaft. Luckily, they finally pulled the AJ right off the shaft. Had to dump my BC fast. My two other buddies thanked me for distracting the thugs while they got their AJs up to the boat.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote