Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:28 AM   #1
grey2112

Well said, Dano of Mako

Hunting on Scuba vs. Freediving

Hey Guys,
I too only hunt while freediving, and I understand your passion.

Earlier I posted a video showing a guy on scuba shooting some AJ with a pole spear. It was perfectly legal in Federal Atlantic Waters.

The video got some very negative feedback so I took it down.

While I respect everybody’s view point, please allow me to express mine.

Not everybody is blessed with the physical ability to hunt fish while freediving.

And while we feel passionate about this subject, we should also feel fortunate that we can do things that others only dream of.

When I am not diving, I am an avid bow hunter. I shoot a Mathews compound bow. My buddy shoots a crossbow. A few years ago, while at a check in station, some guys were giving my buddy crap for legally hunting deer with a crossbow.

My buddy is a disabled Vet. He was injured in the first gulf war. He is so screwed up, he can barely f*ing walk. He cannot pull back a bow. He would love to hunt with a bow. But he can’t.

Guys, please remember, there are those who wish to end spearfishing all together. They thrive on this sort of division among freedivers and scuba divers. Trust me.

They don’t care if you have tanks are not. They are coming for your spearguns. And they will use this subject to first drive a wedge between us. I promise you, divide and conquer is the way they will do it.

One of my customers was an avid freediver and got ciguatera poisoning so bad that it changed his life forever. He still loves to shoot fish but the only way he can do it now is with a tank. I wouldn’t give him crap for that.

I am sure there are guys that would give me crap about hunting with a compound bow instead of a more primitive long bow or recurve. Do you think the tree huggers who want to end deer hunting will use this division to try to outlaw deer hunting?

I am not trying to change your opinion. I am just trying share with you another point of view.

In my opinion, we are totally blessed to be able to hold our breaths for a very long time and dive very deep to shoot fish. And if a guy wants to shoot fish but can’t do it in the same way that we are able to do it, who am I to say. Just buy your fishing license, obey the laws and have fun.

Thanks guys for taking part in the discussion.

Dive safe,
dano
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:02 AM   #2
jersymudsniper

Re: Well said, Dano of Mako

Its all personal prefference. I dont hunt anything to survive. Its all for sport/thrill of chase.I wouldnt want to shoot fish on scooba for the fact it isnt enough challenge for me. Same as bowhunting i sold all my compounds years ago and only hunt with a stickbow, no sights, no rest, instinct. It doesnt thrill me to hunt with a compound or a gun anymore. Its to easy. Everyone has different things that excite them. Btw crossguns should have a seperate season other then for disabled.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:26 AM   #3
CuzzA

Take the line off your speargun and a whole new set of challenges are presented.

One could argue using a line on a speargun is cheating. Could you imagine the outrage if land hunters used lines on bows and crossbows.

Dano shouldn't even have to defend Jim's video. Which is great, BTW. Pole spearing AJs and securing them at depth without getting his ass kicked. No float to tire the fish before landing and the funny thing is Jim snorkels too. A lot of people do both. The purpose of the video was to illustrate how great of a product it is.

Ultimately the issue is people have a big mouth on the internet and don't know how to mind their business. They need to STFU.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:16 PM   #4
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Thanks very much for the positive feedback guys!

I know this same discussion has gone many rounds on this forum in the past. There is a lot of passion for this sport, so I am not at all surprised by how strongly people have expressed themselves.

dive safe!

dano

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:38 PM   #5
grey2112

BTW - Dano, you may be getting another order from me soon - lost my Freedive Hunter fins today Equipment/storage failure on my boat dumped my fins, a buddie's fins, and a metal fish ruler in the ocean - loved those fins.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:00 PM   #6
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
BTW - Dano, you may be getting another order from me soon - lost my Freedive Hunter fins today Equipment/storage failure on my boat dumped my fins, a buddie's fins, and a metal fish ruler in the ocean - loved those fins.
Sorry to hear about the loss. We've got more

Old 04-30-2019, 04:34 AM   #7
grey2112

Sent a email - do you all sell singles?
Old 04-30-2019, 06:25 AM   #8
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Everyone sells single fins, it is just that most people charge for two!

MAKO has taken the customer friendly policy that we sell single fins for half the price of a pair quite a long time ago; THANKS for asking!

You will need to place the special order over the phone however.

Dano