Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 01-07-2017, 07:50 PM   #61
popgun pete

Re: The Infinite Engines Dreamair moves from dream to reality

Well it looks like the oval air tank, which is also the "Dreamair" barrel, has crescent shaped side tanks after all as here you can see the mounting studs for the muzzle nose piece sticking out on either side from some grey stuff that is filling the side tanks. Winter time now in Greece, so not much diving going on I would think as the snow comes down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15844542_1860850487494541_1002677047545249573_o.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	230897   Click image for larger version

Name:	15895528_1860850404161216_4664195427752651351_o.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	230898   Click image for larger version

Name:	15844253_1860849974161259_7680453836048689622_o.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	230899  
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #62
popgun pete

Original concept for the "Dreamair" shows that many details have since been changed in order to solve problems encountered during development of the hardware as the "real world" does not always follow modelling predictions. However advanced modelling shortens the development period and a gun of this type might otherwise have taken twice as long to bring to the market.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dreamair concept R.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	230952  
Old 01-22-2017, 05:22 AM   #63
popgun pete

The first video of the "Dreamair" in action.
(The production started on Friday)
https://l.facebook.com/l/ATOa0XVeH_v...nvsB0%26t%3D3s
Old 01-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #64
Behslayer

I saw that this morning and thought it was exciting. Ingenuity. Not every day someone invents, develops, and brings to proof of concept, a new form of speargun. Big respect for that guy.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #65
popgun pete

You can see the target in the distance being hit and moving with the shaft impacts. The shaft flies very quickly and there seems to be little recoil as the "Dreamair" gun shoots. I think that the multitude of shots shown indicates that the gun works reliably and consistently which is what you want in a speargun. Considering the technical challenges that had to be overcome, and I had my doubts earlier due to the attention to detail required to make everything work, I think the gun is a great achievement.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:45 AM   #66
skygear
          

want to shoot...
skygear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:18 PM   #67
popgun pete

Here is the version of the loading device with a pulley built into the hooks; the metal ring attaches to the shaft as a fixed anchor point that you can then pull against as you haul the wishbone(s) back. Doubling the line at the hook pulleys halves the pull effort, but you have to pull twice as far which is what you expect to do with a "block and tackle" device. A very ingenious design!

You could probably use this loading gadget on any band gun, particularly a eurogun as the draw there is much like the "Dreamair" with the shaft tab or wishbone notch much closer to your chest than it is with a cocking stock gun.

The loading device has just been named as the "Dreamloader" according to the "Infinitengines" website.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	loader with pulley.jpg
Views:	805
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	231383  

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-06-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:31 PM   #68
willstroo

Hrmm.. I wonder if the loading system can be overcome with a bit of brute force.

Dont get me wrong, the gun is awesome, but if it were easy to load i would probably be interested in getting one, but if its a PITA to load then wouldnt.
willstroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #69
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by willstroo View Post
Hrmm.. I wonder if the loading system can be overcome with a bit of brute force.

Dont get me wrong, the gun is awesome, but if it were easy to load i would probably be interested in getting one, but if its a PITA to load then wouldnt.
Depends on the "brute" that you have available. Check out the graph of the forces shown at post #21 with the gun at 10 bar.

In fact you must have seen it as checking back you were post #22!
Old 02-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #70
willstroo

Thats a lot of brute. Im imagining lifting 120kg off the floor in a rowing motion while lying flat above it. Thats pretty full on..
willstroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:22 AM   #71
richardp

I think that the real problem of the graph is that it's calculated by using of two arms, but almost nobody can reach the muzzle with two arms simultaneously, so they have thought the loading device with, if necessary for somebody, the help of the pulleys.

Last edited by richardp; 02-09-2017 at 02:42 PM.
richardp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #72
popgun pete

I have been told that more videos are currently being prepared, including one on the use of the loading device. Could be the "Dreamloader" will find a market outside of the gun, especially if it is easy to use and transport on a dive without losing it to the depths. Over the years I have donated many pneumatic speargun loaders to Davy Jones' Locker when as I reached for them I found that they were no longer there. Now tied off to my wrist on elastic ribbon I no longer have that problem, but where to stow a gadget with the cords wrapped around it in a bundle?

The answer that I have recently received is that a case will be provided for the loading device which then attaches to your belt. Personally I wear two quick release wire buckle belts with the buckles facing in opposite directions so that I know which is which. One is my weight belt, stacked full with lead, and the other is my knife (one of) and spare "popgun" belt and anything else that may be hanging or clipped onto it. Too many dangling items and you snag on every weed strand and frond as you squirm through the seaweed jungle and end up with quite a "following" in shallow water. Deeper water, less lead, one belt, thinner suit.

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-09-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:04 PM   #73
popgun pete

The "Dreamair" speargun should be more efficient than a band gun as its "pneumatic spring" energy storage will be more efficient than using stretched rubber bands as an energy storage medium. Also the effects of "band soak" mean that the longer a band gun is cocked then the force available for shooting decreases from that which was required to cock each band in the first place, however the loss is not great and we don't generally notice it.

The big bore pneumatic speargun has always been problematic as water around the spear has to be pushed out of the gun which slows down the shot. In a hydropneumatic speargun this water braking effect is used to push the spear out of the gun because in a sense it is an extended barrel pneumatic speargun where the speargun has a big diameter (annular) piston that shoots backwards and the moving water is driven in the opposite direction by doing a 180 degree turn down a narrower ID barrel extension that actually holds the spear. These guns gain their performance by using very high start pressures, up to 3 times that used in pneumatic spearguns. Efficiency is not their strong point!

The "Dreamair" has a very big sliding oval shaped piston, so has a lot of force to play with (Force equals Gun Pressure x Cross-Sectional Area) and thus can power other moving elements (drums and cables) besides the spear and still provide good shooting performance. Also, unlike all other pneumatic spearguns, it will not be affected by increased ambient pressure at depth as the pneumatic energy storage system is completely sealed off from the environment. Although the cable drive system seems incongruous at first, it is the only way to use a big diameter piston pneumatic speargun as the spinning winding drum axle is the only element that crosses the gun's pressure boundary. Like a balanced scuba regulator valve each end of the axle sees exactly the same pressure, which is ambient pressure.

Another approach would be to have the drive cable cross the pressure boundary, rather than an axle, in order to harvest the movement of the large piston to power the spear, but this raises problems with pressure sealing of the cable (refer fig.5b). This alternative concept has been patented by Mares, but no guns yet as far as I know,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cable pneumatic 2 R.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	231422  

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-09-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:58 PM   #74
popgun pete

Four cross-sectioned views of the "Dreamair" show its internal layout and the compact arrangement of the winding drums, axle, bearings and seals.

Note that these views are looking at the gun with it turned upside down as the inlet valve opening is underneath the muzzle. The shaft guide track is facing downwards and thus out of sight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dreamair sections 4R.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	231643  

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-26-2017 at 06:24 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-14-2017, 01:39 AM   #75
popgun pete

Here you can see the spiral cable tracks on the winding drums, the housings for the spinning axle roller bearings and seals are screwed into the gun body, hence the screw threads on their surfaces. The "window" in the inner drum is the inner cable attachment point. The varying leverage or CVT aspect is obtained from the ratio of the drum diameters at the various points on their surfaces where the cables are simultaneously pulling or being pulled.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	17310391_1894167530829503_4520687744093195678_o.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	231857   Click image for larger version

Name:	CVT action R.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	231893  

Last edited by popgun pete; 03-14-2017 at 05:38 PM. Reason: extra image showing how the inner and outer cables move