Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Kayak Diving

All About Kayak Diving Here is a place to discuss the growing travel mode of kayak diving.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:26 AM   #1
cougarprey

Scupper pro question

Hello,

Trying to identify the year of this scupper pro. I heard that some of them were much lighter than other models. The seller did not list the year so I don't have a way to look up the weight by year, if that info is even out there. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	scupper.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	235681
cougarprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
Ron S

Re: Scupper pro question

I have the newer, single hatch, "tank well" version of the Scupper Pro. It's listed at 55 pounds, which is about right. The yak you show, with the two hatches, might be slightly heavier, but certainly not much.
I couldn't find any specs online for the two hatch model either, but if I needed another boat and that one was available, I'd buy it...
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #3
cougarprey

Thanks Ron, the guy never got back to me, I would really like the TW though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2017, 09:37 PM   #4
Sanny

OK's boast that they put more material around the hull of the boat (thus making them heavier)- at least that's the claim in the literature from the Trident I bought a few years back. Anyways, to an extent, weight (if it equates to a thicker hull) is your friend- a little piece of mind when coming in riding a wave on to rocky beaches- like is the case most of the time in my area. Just my two cents.
Aaron
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:21 AM   #5
cougarprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanny View Post
OK's boast that they put more material around the hull of the boat (thus making them heavier)- at least that's the claim in the literature from the Trident I bought a few years back. Anyways, to an extent, weight (if it equates to a thicker hull) is your friend- a little piece of mind when coming in riding a wave on to rocky beaches- like is the case most of the time in my area. Just my two cents.

Aaron

I have heard of people with issues, mostly around the scupper holes where the hull surface turns 90 degrees it makes a point of rigidity that is more prone to cracking, even from tightening straps too tight on the car. This seems to be any brand though. I actually weighed my kayak with just a life preserver and the fishfinder, no battery, and its 86lbs. at 13 feet long. I think if I can trim 20 or 25 lbs off and gain a foot or two it will be well worth the risk of a potentially more fragile hull. My buddy has a WS 16’ that weighs about 75lbs. and he blows my kayak away.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:10 PM   #6
Ron S

Probably of no real help, but just some observations after owning and using my Scupper Pro for around 10 years now. First, it's noticeably lighter than my son's Prower 13's, and easier to shoulder carry. Second, it's also narrower and therefore initially feels more "tippy", but the seat well goes deeper into the hull so you sit lower, almost like in a slip sit inside yak. As a result, it's certainly faster than the little Prowlers and also faster than some bigger heavier boats.

As to being fragile, I don't intentionally abuse my boats, but this one has seen a lot of use, including being dropped off the top of my truck, crashed into rocks, surfed into gravel, etc. No cracks or damage at all. I think the worst thing that happened to it, and this was when it was almost new, was that I had it sitting in the driveway one night and my wife drove onto it with her 4-runner! Front wheel onto the hull then back off, and the temperature was near zero! That plastic had to be about as brittle as it can be, but no damage.

I've been told the fastest way to crack a plastic boat is to store it in the sun, as the UV rays destroy the plastic. I store my boats in the garage, and treat them with 303 protectant. I've got some 20+ year old plastic boats with no cracks or apparent brittle plastic.

OK, done rambling...
Ron.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:29 AM   #7
cougarprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
Probably of no real help, but just some observations after owning and using my Scupper Pro for around 10 years now. First, it's noticeably lighter than my son's Prower 13's, and easier to shoulder carry. Second, it's also narrower and therefore initially feels more "tippy", but the seat well goes deeper into the hull so you sit lower, almost like in a slip sit inside yak. As a result, it's certainly faster than the little Prowlers and also faster than some bigger heavier boats.

As to being fragile, I don't intentionally abuse my boats, but this one has seen a lot of use, including being dropped off the top of my truck, crashed into rocks, surfed into gravel, etc. No cracks or damage at all. I think the worst thing that happened to it, and this was when it was almost new, was that I had it sitting in the driveway one night and my wife drove onto it with her 4-runner! Front wheel onto the hull then back off, and the temperature was near zero! That plastic had to be about as brittle as it can be, but no damage.

I've been told the fastest way to crack a plastic boat is to store it in the sun, as the UV rays destroy the plastic. I store my boats in the garage, and treat them with 303 protectant. I've got some 20+ year old plastic boats with no cracks or apparent brittle plastic.

OK, done rambling...

Ron.

That is great feedback, I actually found one with the tank well in back for $200. Hoping to pick it up this week. I will post again if I get it.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:05 AM   #8
Ron S

That's a great deal! I think you'll enjoy it.
Ron.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:25 PM   #9
cougarprey

Scored! $200

Old 11-04-2017, 10:45 AM   #10
Ron S

Great deal! Pretty much the same as mine, except that mine came with some shock cord on the tank well to hold stuff in. Things like that are easy to add if you buy a pop rivet gun and get on one of the kayak angler websites. I've added four rod holders and a dive flag mount.
One nice thing about the scupper pro is that long blade fins, spearguns, etc., will go right into that front hatch.
Ron.