Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Kayak Diving

All About Kayak Diving Here is a place to discuss the growing travel mode of kayak diving.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
4thelove

Post Your Kayak Setups

I was interested in seeing some of the dive/fishing setups people have for their kayaks. I have been spearfishing for about 6 years and I live in south Florida. I have never really used a kayak to spearfish from so I would like some pointers as i normally dive from boats. Its become difficult to get out due to my work schedule so if figured i would just buy a kayak and deck it out with everything i need. I recently bought a sit on top perception sport destiny i believe its 12'. I'm mainly looking for suggestions on how to outfit it. If your familiar with kayak diving and have any suggestions or a picture of your current setup and any modifications you have made to it PLEASE SHARE!!
4thelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
hau
peskadot

Re: Post Your Kayak Setups

Diablo Loco here on Spearboard is your man for all your yak needs and intel. He is very good.
hope this helps

Last edited by hau; 04-02-2014 at 11:39 AM.
hau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
mc diver 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thelove View Post
I was interested in seeing some of the dive/fishing setups people have for their kayaks. I have been spearfishing for about 6 years and I live in south Florida. I have never really used a kayak to spearfish from so I would like some pointers as i normally dive from boats. Its become difficult to get out due to my work schedule so if figured i would just buy a kayak and deck it out with everything i need. I recently bought a sit on top perception sport destiny i believe its 12'. I'm mainly looking for suggestions on how to outfit it. If your familiar with kayak diving and have any suggestions or a picture of your current setup and any modifications you have made to it PLEASE SHARE!!
I spearfish off key west using a 14 ft perception prism,and really enjoy it.the kayak has two large hatches,fore and aft providing plenty of room for all my gear.I removed the aft hatch,and placed a 16x8x14deep coleman cooler sideways inside the hatch,and about half the cooler sticks up out.I put two bungees over the cooler in an x pattern.I use the bungees,along with the kayak straps to mount the dive flag to the back of the cooler .works very well,even in strong winds.the cooler holds 12-15 lbs ice&a couple drinks/waters.I also keep a soft fish bag aboard in case I shoot a nice black or something too big for the coleman.The forward hatch I stow cressi 3000's,two mask/snorkels,a 32 biller back up gun,and sometimes lobster gear.mymain gun,a58 in. homemade euro style ,I keep strapped on thetop/side of the kayak using a small piece of bungee mounted alongside th forward hatch.the muzzle slips into this,and the butt ican put beside the seat,using the seat straps to hold it.getting in and out is pretty easy.to exit, I place my right hand in the center,and just slide off left side.to get back aboard,i place right hand in the center ,left hand on left side,and push myself while kicking up onto kayak,while keeping weight balanced in center of kayak.I also have a delorme pn 60 gps that mounts to kayak.works very well.I will post pic when I can .hope this helps
mc diver 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
4thelove

Thank you so much. This helps a lot. I'm heading out of pompano Saturday morning if anyone wants to join.
4thelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
hau
peskadot

4thelove--please to remember that in Florida you are required to fly a boat regulation size (20x24in) dive flag WITH stiffener.
I might also suggest mounting the flag as high up above the yak as possible. My 20x24in flag was 5ft above the top of the yak and I still had many close calls with boaters. I've known many spearos who got their yaks hit and/or float lines cut by boaters.
I might also suggest using the "search" button here on SB as many before you have also had the same questions that we have helped before.

Last edited by hau; 04-02-2014 at 08:10 PM.
hau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
Diablo Loco

First off, which model do you have? second, are you scuba diving or freediving? Big difference in mods. The one with two tank-wells or the one with a rubber hatch up front and a tank-well in back? The first thing I would if I had the dual tank-well would be to get rid of those bungee cords on both tanks wells. I would replace them with motorcycle cargo nets (15 x 15). Get it in a contrasting color. Attach them with thicker black zip ties. If you have the Hatch version, get the motorcycle net on the tank-well.

In order to make additional attachments, you need to be willing to drill into your kayak, using either well-nuts or rivets. They are easy to seal. I use a lot of padeyes and j-hooks in my mods. You will especially need these extras if you plan on using this for scuba, as you will need to design a hardness to hold the extra weight on the dive equipment (i.e., tanks, BCD, etc....). This will mean taking nylon webbing (1.5"), cutting two pieces and making them 3' each. You will need a buckle on both pieces in the middle to tighten the strap down to hold the tank in place. The way you attach them to the kayak is by drilling holes inside the tank-well towards the top edge 9maybe 2" below lip. fold the end of the webbing on itself to make a 1.5" square. You will nee to burn a small hole through the middle of the 1.5" square. Take a stainless steel washer with a hole not bigger than the rivet and slide it onto the rivet. Then stick the rivet through the 1.5" section hole and then into the hole you drilled in the kayak. Then use the rivet tool and your done. if you are concerned about sealing it, put silicone on the end of the rivet before you stick it in the hole in the kayak. You will need to do this 4 times, one for each end of the webbing. The buckle can be plastic or SS.

Here are a couple of things I have done to my present kayak, which is a WS Tarpon 160.

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php...ighlight=kayak

Look through this second thread, as there are a couple of different mods.

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php...highlight=mods

I have a lot of ideas, but there are too many to post up on here for suggestions. Give me a better idea as to how you plan to use the kayak and which model. then I can answer your questions better.

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

"They don't call me 'Diablo Loco' for nothing."
Diablo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #7
Smash
Monterey Bay Triton

Just be careful how much stuff you put on your kayak. I know a guy that has so much crap stuck on and in his kayak that the thing weighs twenty pounds more than everyone else’s. Remember you are the engine and the more weight you put on the boat the harder it is to paddle. I like to keep things simple and light so that I can cover more ground and use less muscle. Bring only what you need and try to keep things as light as possible.

VP, Monterey Bay Tritons
Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
AndyzFshn

Check out NCKA.org
AndyzFshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #9
Diablo Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash View Post
I know a guy that has so much crap stuck on and in his kayak that the thing weighs twenty pounds more than everyone else’s. .
Funny guy!!!! lol

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

"They don't call me 'Diablo Loco' for nothing."
Diablo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:39 PM   #10
BobatSpears

If was was to use a kayak for blue water would i just attach myself to the kayak with a tag line to my belt or gun?
BobatSpears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:55 PM   #11
growingupninja
Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobatSpears View Post
If was was to use a kayak for blue water would i just attach myself to the kayak with a tag line to my belt or gun?
Getting yanked around by a tossing boat sucks. There's a thing, a lot of guys use one, it's called an anchor

If you are drifting you are in the same current as the yak, although it may be more sensitive to wind...

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:39 AM   #12
hatterasfreedvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash View Post
Just be careful how much stuff you put on your kayak. I know a guy that has so much crap stuck on and in his kayak that the thing weighs twenty pounds more than everyone else’s. Remember you are the engine and the more weight you put on the boat the harder it is to paddle. I like to keep things simple and light so that I can cover more ground and use less muscle. Bring only what you need and try to keep things as light as possible.

Some great advice.

Make sure you have a leash on your paddle and know how to tie a bowline knot.
Since you are in S. Florida I would also wear a whistle around my wrist while diving.
hatterasfreedvr is offline   Reply With Quote