Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Kayak Diving

All About Kayak Diving Here is a place to discuss the growing travel mode of kayak diving.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2016, 08:57 AM   #16
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

Re: Rough weather kayaking

Nice setup Big Jim!

Apneaaddict, you certainly do make a good case for the whistle. I've always kinda shrugged it off because most of the diving I do is in a channel where the wall is always available. We've never had confused seas in there. In open water, it's truly a different world.

Guess I need to figure out where the whistle can go.
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:30 AM   #17
Apneaddict

Fox40 makes a small / thin / flat one that COULD go up your wetsuit sleeve and also have a tether around your wrist?

A unique take on Freediving and Apnea:
http://apneaddict.blogspot.com/
Apneaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #18
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

I have tried the in-the-sleeve storage method for emt shears before and it didn't work for me. (cold water, heat transfer, etc...) Now I just have a line cutter mounted to a weight vest.

A whistle wouldn't be AS bad in the sleeve, but I still would prefer not to let any more water at my skin than possible. I'm thinking of sewing something up that's basically a ~1.5" wide strip of fabric that can Velcro around the wrist/forearm with a second layer that can Velcro over the entire whistle, with a short bungee leash stitched into the seam where the two layers are sewn together.

Do you have any opinion on those inflatable hi-vis tubes that they sell? like a carter float, but not necessarily with the auto-inflator? Neptonics calls them safety signals.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:17 PM   #19
hatterasfreedvr

the small flat USCG apprvd whistles are not noticeable around your wrist outside of your wetsuit, they're tiny. I use one of my wife's hairties to attach it. If you look close I have one on in my avatar photo... Simple, very cheap, and very effective safety device. You could also attach one to your paddle leash and/or float.
hatterasfreedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:45 AM   #20
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

But then how can I reinvent the wheel?!

(Time to scam a hair-tie from my wife).

Thanks Hatteras.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:29 PM   #21
Coos-spearo

If you go out alone and it is windy use a SUP or surfboard leash to make sure if you do go over, you are attached to the yak. This is especially important where there is a lot of current. Make sure your paddle is also attached and never let go of the paddle. Where ever your head goes the body follows. Keep your head over the center of gravity at all times. Sink your weight through your ass to lower your center of gravity. I live on the Oregon coast and fish the nearshore where a lot of commercial fisherman and sportfisherman die each year. Ultimately it is time in the boat. Just make sure you stay attached to the boat or it will sail off without you.
Coos-spearo is offline   Reply With Quote