Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 05-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
sdeisen88

East to West

Howdy all.
Suppose someone wanted to move from Florida to California for the sole purpose of spearfishing. That person would find work and a place to stay wherever they chose to move based on spearing alone (pretty much).

Basically I've only visited Cali a few times when I was young and before I dove and I'd like to get it right the first time coming out there. A place with the best possibility for decent viz, fish and a cool diving community.

Yes leaving behind warm tropical waters
Yes Cali is really expensive
Yes traffic is bad
Yes environmental wackos
I'll sign the waiver

From all the forum browsing and video watching I get the idea it would be nice to be in the middle of southern California (long beach area) to have the ability to drive north for cencal and south for san diego area.

Anyways I don't want anyone's spots, I don't want to bring my friends and family to your beach, I probably wont shoot a WSB out from under you.

Thanks for any input
sdeisen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:14 AM   #2
Bob Ballew

Re: East to West

For what it is worth: Long Beach is central to many activities besides divng...a highly rated state university, two junior colleges, good launch ramps nearby, hundreds of ethnic restaurants to try for the next 10 years, cute chicks along the 2nd street bar areas for singles; lower property costs than surrounding seaside towns; only 24 miles over to Catalina and a shorter run to the outlying islands than other locations.....redwoods to the north, San Diego, Mexico and the Coronado islands 90 miles south, Las Vegas due east, etc, etc....we looked at numereous places to retire and finally decided east Long Beach offers the best retirement location for people with multiple interests and no interest in cyclones, bugs, sweaty weather, floods, hurricanes, snowstorms, etc.....so, pack your bags and join the other one million expatriates headed this way....
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
SPGuy

For what it's worth if we are talking clarity and life I would say Catalina or Monterey
SPGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
Danyanimal

Bob, I'm not trying to undermine you here, just offering my opinion - but after living in LB for several years, I'm gonna have to say that it kinda sucks there. I've lived on campus, on Ocean, near the traffic circle, on PCH, and other places. None of them were all that great. No matter where you move, you're no further than 3 blocks from the hood and parking is always a nightmare.

While it is slightly cheaper than other places in SoCal, I'm gonna have to say that I don't recommend living in Long Beach. There are others places nearby with cleaner water and much better neighborhoods. However, if you do decide on LB, the apartments on Ocean Blvd are pretty cheap and generally decent.
Danyanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #5
aus
squid

I wouldn't move to LB. No offense to long beach, but there are much better places to live in California, much better.
aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #6
HEX
Hector F.

Ventura County specifically Oxnard or Ventura. You'd be smack dab in the middle of everything. Your backyard would be the Channel Islands and would be able to access them if you had a boat. Not much shore diving here though besides a few spots so you need to drive 25 minutes south for Malibu or 35 minutes north to Santa Barbara.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #7
sdeisen88

Good to hear two sides about long beach ,, Catalina would obviously be great but it seems tough to find an in there. Had not considered Monterey but I guess that's worth looking into. Ventura seems like the best bet being sort of in between to very diff type of areas.
I'll be bringing a kayak and I love to dive that way, so that's a factor.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:03 PM   #8
Cameronv
Ando26

I'll probably get shit for this, but here's my honest opinion. I'm boatless so all my dives are from shore. If I was moving somewhere in CA solely for spearfishing I would have no second thoughts about moving to places near Palos Verdes, san pedro, and malibu. You're still close to harbors for santa cruz, catalina, anacapa, etc. BEST part is you can drive south of the border and get the best spearing in the world.

Santa Barbra just had an oil spill so thats out. Ventura doesn't have the best spearing imo usually a little dirty water.

Some of the best spearing is in socal and mexico.
Cameronv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #9
VangysWay

You want to move from Florida to California for the sole purpose of spearfishing... but what I'm trying to figure out is why?! I've been to Florida once and if I was going to move anywhere in the continental US to solely dive, it would be to Florida in a heartbeat...
Old 05-20-2015, 09:11 PM   #10
sdeisen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by VangysWay View Post
You want to move from Florida to California for the sole purpose of spearfishing... but what I'm trying to figure out is why?! I've been to Florida once and if I was going to move anywhere in the continental US to solely dive, it would be to Florida in a heartbeat...
Well I have been diving in Florida for a lot of years and I'd like a change of pace for a while. Also my best friend & dive partner who I speared with about 3 times a week every week for the last couple years passed away while spearfishing last year and diving our areas doesn't really feel the same since then. Him and I had been planning a trip to Catalina prior to his accident and done a lot of looking into Cali so it has been kind of in the back of my mind and now more like the front of my mind.

Such a bummer about the oil spill, Sorry to everyone it effects. I can't imagine seeing a place I love endure a catastrophe like that.

I really appreciate everyone's input and would love to hear some more suggestions and experiences
Old 05-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #11
norcalsurfer

I'm in the bay area and travel down to socal to dive during lobster season. I've also lived in San Diego years ago. It's not for everyone which is why I moved back north. If it weren't for the diving I would never in a million years go back down there. Way too many people down there and it's ugly as sin.

If I HAD to live down there, gun to my head, San Diego gets my vote. Really close to Mexico and you can trunk it in the summer time surfing. People down there seem more down to earth to me than the LA area.

Again, I'm from the bay area and love the northern part of our coast -- Sonoma Coast to Mendocino. The most beautiful country and diving!
norcalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #12
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

You didn't mention if work is a factor. There are lot's of areas that I would love to live, but there are no jobs in my field. If work is not a factor, that opens up a lot of beautiful areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeisen88 View Post
Howdy all.
Suppose someone wanted to move from Florida to California for the sole purpose of spearfishing. That person would find work and a place to stay wherever they chose to move based on spearing alone (pretty much).

Basically I've only visited Cali a few times when I was young and before I dove and I'd like to get it right the first time coming out there. A place with the best possibility for decent viz, fish and a cool diving community.

Yes leaving behind warm tropical waters
Yes Cali is really expensive
Yes traffic is bad
Yes environmental wackos
I'll sign the waiver

From all the forum browsing and video watching I get the idea it would be nice to be in the middle of southern California (long beach area) to have the ability to drive north for cencal and south for san diego area.

Anyways I don't want anyone's spots, I don't want to bring my friends and family to your beach, I probably wont shoot a WSB out from under you.

Thanks for any input
Old 05-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #13
Exile
Exile

Having lived (and dived) in areas from San Luis Obispo on the Central Coast, to Ventura and Malibu, down to San Diego, I would highly recommend San Diego for the following reasons:

Diving Specific:
Many, many options for local diving that are stellar.
Warmer water
Next door to Baja, MX with easy access.
Better access to migrating Pelagics due to warmer waters.
(Also, less GWS due to warmer waters)

Lifestyle specific:
VERY friendly people, culture
Beautiful area
LOTS to do while dry, both activity-wise and social-wise
Lots of beautiful women

Additionally, it's an easy drive to LA locations as well, if necessary.

If you are considering NorCal, be sure you understand and are prepared for CHILLY water, especially in winter (Bug Season), from anywhere north of Pismo Beach. Being from Florida, the temp difference/extra rubber might be a real shock.

Best of Luck to you on your move. I hope you find what you are looking for.

-Exile

P.S. - If City living is not your favorite, try North Count SD; Carlsbad, Oceanside, Encinitas. Less crowded, but still has good kelp for Yakkin' to.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #14
jdeirmend

x2 for San Diego.

x2 for California isn't really a great place to move to for spearfishing per se, especially in comparison to Florida.

x2 for get ready for cold(er) water, high winds EVERY freakin' afternoon, a significantly lower variety of desirable pelagic and reef fish, as well as diveable viz almost exclusively at the asscrack of dawn or shortly thereafter 90% of the year. NOTE: if you live on Catalina, or have boat access, the crappy viz thing doesn't apply.

The only really novel thing you're getting is the kelp, as well as the different, if less varied types of fish. BUT, I will say that on really good days, the whole Southern California diving experience is incredible, and that the kelp is the bottom line reason. Our giant kelp forest ecosystems present a majestic, one of a kind habitat for a fascinating variety of marine life, and you will find nothing truly like them anywhere else in the world.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:36 PM   #15
Ontogeny

There is great diving in both. Pick the area you want to actually live in, because for diving you can't go wrong with either location. (Note: I mostly free dive recreationally except the occasional lingcod, and have yet to actually spearfish in SoCal, I just dive for fun down there).

It's also not *that* far to drive from one to the other so it's not a mutually exclusive decision. I live in NorCal but go to SoCal to dive pretty often.

Be aware that if you choose NorCal, the living is VERY expensive around the Bay Area. Live in a city with rent control or you will soon end up paying $3k for a studio!
Ontogeny is offline   Reply With Quote