Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 12:04 PM   #61
willembad
Spearo in training

Re: How deep on air?

Hey Dago,

If the bottom number is RT why 2/3 min over?

Willem
willembad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:08 PM   #62
dagodiver
Wreck Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by willembad View Post
Hey Dago,

If the bottom number is RT why 2/3 min over?

Willem
Rounding error, I have the software set to round up if not whole minutes.

Dago.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #63
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Edmonston View Post
That would be a viable option, but even better for your needs, would be your pony with enough gas to safely get you to your emergency bailout hanging on the line. ud,
Are you assuming that spearfisherman are generally coming back up an anchor line with this comment? I would think that spearfisherman are the most likely to be pulled off a wreck and have to do a drifting deco.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #64
Bulit7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Are you assuming that spearfisherman are generally coming back up an anchor line with this comment? I would think that spearfisherman are the most likely to be pulled off a wreck and have to do a drifting deco.
That is the rule rather than the exception...
Bulit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:37 PM   #65
Mike Edmonston

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Yes,

I was "assuming" that you would hang a bottle if conditions permitted. Also, remember that the hanging bottle is not part of the calculated gas plan, and is only there as a safety. So if the diver follows his run time, he should not need it.

Now, if there is a strong current, and hanging the bottle is not possible, you should either take it with you, or shorten your bottom time to give yourself the extra needed cushion in case something happens.

Sorry, I should have been more specific in my prior explanation, thank you for bringing it up.

Safe Diving,

Mike Edmonston
Oxycheq Experimental Dive Team Test Pilot
NAUI Technical Instructor
Technical Scuba Training Center, FL.
www.floridatechdive.com
***Ask me about Great Deals on Dive Gear and Classes for Spearboard Forum members ***
Mike Edmonston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #66
fishhunta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Edmonston View Post
Yes,

I was "assuming" that you would hang a bottle if conditions permitted. Also, remember that the hanging bottle is not part of the calculated gas plan, and is only there as a safety. So if the diver follows his run time, he should not need it.

Now, if there is a strong current, and hanging the bottle is not possible, you should either take it with you, or shorten your bottom time to give yourself the extra needed cushion in case something happens.

Safe Diving,
We shoot lift bags on reels for our ascents. Hanging a bottle is impossible 97% of the time. My team of divers know that if I should bounce the lift bag when I am drifting , to throw in a 30cuft bottle with a scrub mix in . We always have one rigged with 40ft of rope and a bouy, ready to deploy.
on the objects of benevolence,
the money of their constituents."
James Madison

www.variancharters.com
fishhunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #67
Mike Edmonston

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhunta View Post
We shoot lift bags on reels for our ascents. Hanging a bottle is impossible 97% of the time. My team of divers know that if I should bounce the lift bag when I am drifting , to throw in a 30cuft bottle with a scrub mix in . We always have one rigged with 40ft of rope and a bouy, ready to deploy.
That's a great idea. Good contingency planning is the way to go.

This is a great example of the different facets between spearfishing and Tech diving.

It's always nice to learn something new

Mike Edmonston
www.floridatechdive.com
***Ask me about Great Deals on Dive Gear and Classes for Spearboard Forum members ***
Old 08-19-2008, 01:29 PM   #68
willembad
Spearo in training

Quote:
Rounding error, I have the software set to round up if not whole minutes.
Got it, thanks. I'm shopping for some "deco" fins, Mike E. is giving me way to much crap over my splits

Later,

Willem
willembad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:37 PM   #69
Bulit7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhunta View Post
That is cool Paul! you are doing exactly what I thought about doing a while back and mentioned it in a thread. It is a good option to shorten deco.

My thought:

Dive with your bottom mix and a pony. Same mix in both.

Come up to your deco stop and proceed to do your dec. Boat pulls up and you do a gas switch on the computer to the deco mix. Result: shorter dec.

Let's say the boat does not show up: You continue to deco with the gas you have. A little longer deco but all is well.

Advantage of this setup:

1-No carrying deco bottles.
2-Fill one single large tank and use it many times.

Lets say an 80cf alluminum tank with 80-100% mix. Same price as filling a small tank. You would need a bunch of small tanks for a day of diving. With one 80cf, you could probably deco six to eight dives. Just put a reg on it with long hoses and a few regs.

Like I said before, I don't know much, but am allways trying to improve what I do and learn from others that know more than me!
Old 08-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #70
Bulit7

Quote:
Got it, thanks. I'm shopping for some "deco" fins, Mike E. is giving me way to much crap over my splits

Later,

Willem
I use freediving fins and neoprene socks. Very comfy and very powerfull.
They are also streamlined, no buckles, and line does not tangle on them.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:58 PM   #71
Mike Edmonston

Quote:
Mike E. is giving me way to much crap over my splits

Later,

Willem
I AM NOT!!! .. Ok, maybe just a little...

Mike Edmonston
www.floridatechdive.com
Old 07-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #72
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

Well, this thread went south real fast. There was some good advice somewhere back up there, though.
You all might remember when Divers Supply lost two instructors and one student on a deep dive out of palm Beach, about 10-12 yrs. back. The bodies were never found. The surviving diver said that they were in over 200 fsw., four tanks on each diver. The bladder blew out in one divers BCD and the two instructors tried to save him. The last they were seen, they going down together. The instructors never left his side. One of the instructors was ex-navy seal. Tragic loss but it predicated the importance of training, equipment AND buddies.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:28 AM   #73
mepps1

Quote:
Originally Posted by searaydiver View Post
Well, this thread went south real fast. There was some good advice somewhere back up there, though.
You all might remember when Divers Supply lost two instructors and one student on a deep dive out of palm Beach, about 10-12 yrs. back. The bodies were never found. The surviving diver said that they were in over 200 fsw., four tanks on each diver. The bladder blew out in one divers BCD and the two instructors tried to save him. The last they were seen, they going down together. The instructors never left his side. One of the instructors was ex-navy seal. Tragic loss but it predicated the importance of training, equipment AND buddies.

If your two well trained buddies die with you, was that really the lesson?
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:49 AM   #74
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by searaydiver View Post
Actually the instructor was later found floating on the surface with no scuba gear about 5 weeks? after the incident. Presumably, he got bloated and floated out of his very heavy steel tank rig. As far as I know, no gear or anything else was ever found.

I never read that the BC of the student blew out, just that the loan survivor of the accident reported that the student was "having trouble" controlling his bouyancy during the entire technical dive which was a drift dive at a depth of 250 to 300 as I recall.

I'm quite sure they were using trimix not air.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:25 PM   #75
IRONHEAD
Member of the Pain Train

rarely do i look at this part of the board but it was very entertaining lol.....