Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Old 12-05-2003, 08:23 AM   #1
jfg

Talking Who said freshwater????

Way to go Scott, you have come through again. Now lets hear from the freshwater maggots, landlocked quarry humpin, drysuit, freezin our a*#@s off freshwater divers, like me

I think all of us are planning trips to Florida to get out of the cold damp weather.

I have made two separate plans for Florida trips so far, and both have been interupted so far. My next planned trip south is in March or April.

I don't know about anyone else, but I plan on hitting the clear lakes soon as water warms up around here. I hear some catfish callin my name. I also want to make a trip to Arkansas, them fellas can shoot more types of fish than we can here in Tenn. Did I say clear lakes? I meant the ones with 10' to 15' visibility on a good day. Not many of them around here.
jfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:46 AM   #2
one_lucky_shot

what part of Arkansas you going to?? i will be going up there this winter, my dry suit will not be in by then but if i can rent on up there... i will be under beaver lake
one_lucky_shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 02:01 PM   #3
jfg

OLS,
Not sure yet, kinda eye'n places out. Where is beaver lake?
I haven't done the drysuit thing yet. We can rent them here, don't know aout Arkansas area.

I hope ouachita is still reading the board, maybe he can help us out-a-towners.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:40 PM   #4
one_lucky_shot

beaver lake is in NWA (rogers, fayettvill, springdale area). infact just yesterday i got the "hot spots" map for beaver lake has gps, depths ect... hope it comes together...
Old 12-06-2003, 08:31 AM   #5
jfg

Good Gosh OLS, dang near Oklahoma, or Misery. You have family there? Are you doing any spearing or just diving?
Old 12-06-2003, 03:32 PM   #6
one_lucky_shot

well if i am going to freeze me nutz off you better bet i will have a gun in hand. i just have to see if i can get my hands on a dry suit and rental boat. looking at stripers, white bass, and whipers (hybrid).

yea i have family up that way used to live up there, pre- diving
Old 12-06-2003, 05:23 PM   #7
jfg

OLS,
Is that supposed to be a clear lake? I'd like to know more about the lakes around Ark. Where you are going would be about a 9 hour drive for me best I can figure. I like the idea of being able to spear other species besides cats, gar, and bugle mouthed bass like around here. Good luck on finding the boat and dry suit.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:30 AM   #8
one_lucky_shot

the north part of the lake is clear, the next third is 'cloudy' locals are saying about 20 foot or so and the far south end is murky.

you can shoot every thing but large mouth bass, small mouth, and spotted bass.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:50 AM   #9
ouachita
Catfish Aficionado

Damn! I've just been lurking these last few months and didn't realize we had our own section. THANK YOU!!!

JFG, when you get ready to come down just ket me know and i'll give you locations and conditions. I don't do any winter diving but try to keep up with temps and such.

I lean toward Lake Ouachita or Degray, both West/Central, about an hour apart. From what i've heard the Northern lakes are dingier. Last year in Ouachita around March(the end of spearing season) some spots had 50-60' vis. The worst vis is in August, 2-3'.

I haven't seen Jeffe on here in a while but he is a good source for info too. You might p.m. him.
ouachita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 02:17 PM   #10
FredT

Back in the dark ages in OK we would drift the rivers in the winter under a half inch or so of ice. The ice cap let the rivers clear. OTOH having a regulator freeze shut under ice is not a fun thing. After one bout of breaking ice with my tank frm underneath I decided the fish weren't worth the hazard.

Catfish were so cold noodling them out from under a log and into a bag involved grabbing the lower jaw and tossing them towards an open bag. The bag was shut before they noticed they had moved.

FT
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 02:32 PM   #11
jeffe
K-9 Rest Stop

Oh Crap !

Dang it FredT ! Ya' done let the cat outta' th' bag Now them pEtA fish huggin' fools will be on the homeboys about "RIVER ZOMBIES" !! Great shades of Florida Sportsman ! It's gona' be another "REEF ZOMBIE" episode !
()_)--()_)----)_)

[
jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote