Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 07-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #16
kwyoungspear

Re: May showers bring June flowers?

Sorry for constantly spamming this thread with post, but I enjoy using this forum as my own little spear fishing “diary”

A few weeks ago I was finally able to take first place in the “that’s what’s she shot” spearfishing tournament after years of falling short with 2nd or 3rd place.

This April my mother passed away from breast cancer. We thought she beat it after 16 rounds of chemo and her victory hike on the John Muir trail. However after I got back home from my 100 days on an oil tanker I was greeted with the news that her cancer had returned, and was spreading aggressively into her stomach, and eventually, bones. It was the hardest thing ever to see my mom struggle through it all and eventually lose her battle.

I told myself I would win the tournament for her and donate my prize back to the tournament since all of the proceeds went to Womankind inc. which provides affordable healthcare to women in the Keys.

Right before the tournament I got a call asking if I wanted to go way out into the gulf +100 miles to go dive some deep wrecks. It was very tempting but I wanted to win on my own.

I couldn’t find anyone who wanted to dive with me so I begged my buddy to take the day off and drive the boat for me, thankful he did. We ran out 30 miles on Saturday only to find green water and 5-10 ft viz. at that point I decided to put my ego aside and instead of running farther west to my best spots, I dove the reef line back to Key West with the intent of shooting lion fish which were worth one point a piece.

So I fought the heavy current all day with my face in the ledge shooting lion fish. Luckily , almost every ledge had a nice little black on it. I even saw a +40 pounder in 30 feet but didn’t see him until I shot a stupid lion fish and he darted up current never to be seen again, smart fish.

After diving 5 tanks I filled my back cooler and I had shot 200 pounds of black by myself and plenty of lion fish so I was actually pretty satisfied. Even if I lost it would be a good pay day.

That night I was forced to find another driver and was not having any luck. I had to call up my buddy who I recently had a short feud with. Luckily we both made up and he drove the boat for me while I finished up the second day shooting a few lion fish out front.

I got to the weigh in with about 30 seconds left and showed up with 10 lion fish in a bucket to everyone’s surprise. Then I pulled up my truck and dumped out the 175 lion fish and weighed in my fish.

I didn’t really see what anyone else weighed in because I was so late but I did win 1st place overall and 1st place lion fish. When I was called up for the second time I donated back the speargun I won to be raffled off and gave a quick little tid about my mother and left.

I knew I had an un fair advantage in the tournament since I’m commercial so I didn’t feel the need to profit anymore than I already had. The tournament is for a good cause and one that involves putting your ego away (which is a hard thing for me to do). It was a fun time as always and the tournament raised over $6,000 so I would say it was also successful. So shout out to all those who put in effort to make it such a great event.

For those that went out to go shoot big fish, sorry for trolling you and shooting so many lion fish in a spear fishing tournament

Picture 1: probably the smallest black you’ll ever see me in a picture with again
Picture 2: “the legends division”
The rest, well lion fish duh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7DB3E186-9DA1-4D37-B967-145D7F6C34AD.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	238800   Click image for larger version

Name:	44C56A02-FAAA-47AD-94C2-BFD334B52410.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	238801   Click image for larger version

Name:	0D148B3E-72ED-42C7-BB3C-0F964F386331.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	238802   Click image for larger version

Name:	A9220300-B9B3-4FFE-843A-DF9157438169.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	238803  

Last edited by kwyoungspear; 07-18-2018 at 08:57 AM.
kwyoungspear is offline   Reply With Quote