Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 10-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
Mantarrayo

What do you eat before spearfishing to keep energy level up?

So im going spearfishing tomorrow morning and was wondering what other spearos eat to keep their energy levels up on those long morning sessions in the water. Seems like an obvious question for anyone fairly active, but i allways get different answers when i bring this up and im curious about more and better options. Im sure i will learn something new on here.

Normally, i will drink extra water throughout the day before the dive, have some pasta for dinner to load up on carbs and in the morning, a couple of hours before the dive ill have a cup of oatmeal with dates and honey.. Sometimes with great difficulty i am able to skip the coffee!

Lots of water = 0 cramps

What do you eat before a morning dive??

Last edited by Mantarrayo; 10-26-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Mantarrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
Sea_Bass

Re: What do you eat before spearfishing to keep energy level up?

The body takes around 12 hours to fully digest all of the food from the last meal. Afterwards, the body will burn fat stores instead of food stores (because there is none). The body will always prefer to burn food stores if available. The body (and consequently the mind) behave very different when burning food stores vs. fat stores. Performance, efficiency, muscle use, muscle repair, senses, intuition, and intelligence are all enhanced when burning fat stores as opposed to food stores ... up to a point. If you have no food stores and run out of fat stores to burn the body will cannibalize itself until you die.

This is how the original human body used to work. It worked this way because before agriculture and domestication humans had to go hunt and gather the majority of their food energy. If humans become weaker and dumber instead of stronger and smarter while burning fat stores and hungry then they never would be able to achieve that next meal.

Considering the above, and if you want to be normal human, then the best timing of eating would be to begin burning fat stores as soon as you start hunting. If you get in the water at 7am, then your last meal should be eaten between 6:30-7:00pm. Nothing but drinking water or if you must black coffee/tea. Stay burning fat stores for another 4-6 hours while you dive and then you can eat. What you eat and drink influences your bodies ability to burn food stores or fat stores and which method it uses.

You have to eat what normal human's used to eat before modern agriculture and domestication. You have to not eat what human's didn't used to eat before modern times. When and how often you eat should mimic when and how often normal human's used to eat before we have fallen so far from what we are supposed to be.

This is not something you wake up and do tomorrow. If you want to perform like a normal human, then you have to eat like one and act like one. This is not advice. This is for entertainment and educational purposes only.
Sea_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:01 PM   #3
popgun pete

I just eat various cereals and canned fruit with milk in a bowl, plus maybe some light toast with butter and a drink for hydration. Not being a coffee person I would rather drink tea. You don’t want too much food in your stomach before a dive. Plus I need to leave room for burgers and flavoured milk after a dive. Milk is good for hydration as testing has shown, better than some hydration drinks.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:57 AM   #4
Sea_Bass

Milk is terrible for diving, as with most dairy, because it increases mucous formation and promotes congestion.
Sea_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:05 AM   #5
diverlen

Heck, I just eat a regular breakfast of cold cereal with milk, 1 cup of coffee and some fruit of some kind. Been doing this for about 40 years and so far, everything goes ok. Then between dives, I have a large sandwitch of some sort followed by a can of soda. I have to have this because I would not be able to make my second dive without it. This works for me and some of my friends but may not work for everyone. Safe diving!!!
diverlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
Alec

Freediving I generally won’t eat anything in the morning, just bring a big lunch after some fish are shot. Scuba diving I can usually get away with a sausage egg McMuffin or bacon/egg taquitos with a cup of coffee. Commercial multi day trips, 3 meals a day and several cups of joe in the morning.
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:48 AM   #7
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea_Bass View Post
Milk is terrible for diving, as with most dairy, because it increases mucous formation and promotes congestion.
Flavoured milk after the dive.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:29 PM   #8
hydroid

I usually don't eat anything in the mornings if I'm going out, usually a cup or two of coffee and I will have a couple of glasses of Gatorade that morning or day before.
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:48 PM   #9
virgili

Nada..
To be hungry stimulates hunting instinct... Lets think like a fish!

www.divefreeapp.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/spearfishingmotion
virgili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:48 PM   #10
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

I eat some fruit hours before diving. Digestion by the gut uses up lots of oxygen, lowering one's bottom time.
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:12 PM   #11
Marco

I have two hard boiled eggs, one banana, water and a large coffee.

While diving lots of water and some gatorade. Maybe an apple if it is a long day.

After diving, I can eat a whole cow!

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:22 PM   #12
Greg4339

I eat a big dinner and don't eat breakfast. I take electrolyte pills during my diving day and that's about it. I agree with the guy who talk about fat stores being energy for the body. The main reason I don't eat though is because my breath holds are so much better when I don't. If I naturally had really good CO2 tolerance and good breath holds, I'd eat breakfast. But, I'm not blessed with that unless my stomach is empty. From hour 6-8 in the water, I admittedly feel my "gas tank" running low...
Greg4339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:52 PM   #13
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea_Bass View Post
The body takes around 12 hours to fully digest all of the food from the last meal. Afterwards, the body will burn fat stores instead of food stores (because there is none). The body will always prefer to burn food stores if available. The body (and consequently the mind) behave very different when burning food stores vs. fat stores. Performance, efficiency, muscle use, muscle repair, senses, intuition, and intelligence are all enhanced when burning fat stores as opposed to food stores ... up to a point. If you have no food stores and run out of fat stores to burn the body will cannibalize itself until you die.

This is how the original human body used to work. It worked this way because before agriculture and domestication humans had to go hunt and gather the majority of their food energy. If humans become weaker and dumber instead of stronger and smarter while burning fat stores and hungry then they never would be able to achieve that next meal.

Considering the above, and if you want to be normal human, then the best timing of eating would be to begin burning fat stores as soon as you start hunting. If you get in the water at 7am, then your last meal should be eaten between 6:30-7:00pm. Nothing but drinking water or if you must black coffee/tea. Stay burning fat stores for another 4-6 hours while you dive and then you can eat. What you eat and drink influences your bodies ability to burn food stores or fat stores and which method it uses.

You have to eat what normal human's used to eat before modern agriculture and domestication. You have to not eat what human's didn't used to eat before modern times. When and how often you eat should mimic when and how often normal human's used to eat before we have fallen so far from what we are supposed to be.

This is not something you wake up and do tomorrow. If you want to perform like a normal human, then you have to eat like one and act like one. This is not advice. This is for entertainment and educational purposes only.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:52 AM   #14
kodama

What do you eat before spearfishing to keep energy level up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg4339 View Post
I eat a big dinner and don't eat breakfast. I take electrolyte pills during my diving day and that's about it. I agree with the guy who talk about fat stores being energy for the body. The main reason I don't eat though is because my breath holds are so much better when I don't. If I naturally had really good CO2 tolerance and good breath holds, I'd eat breakfast. But, I'm not blessed with that unless my stomach is empty. From hour 6-8 in the water, I admittedly feel my "gas tank" running low...

Usually I eat nothing before diving. I just make sure I am well hydrated and keep drinking during the hunting session. When they last long this is challenging since water is on the boat or at the buoy.
I second sport drinks and electrolytes.
If I do eat I stick to some toast and butter nothing more.

Teaching your body to go into ketosis and burn fat can be very helpful. I always run my trails and do my workouts on a empty stomach for that reason. Fasting for a day (or two perhaps) once in a while helps to remind the body how to burn fat efficiently.

Feeling a little hungry doesn’t hurt at all but because of our modern lifestyles we are not used to this feeling anymore and have a tendency to stuff ourselves with the least discomfort we experience.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:53 AM   #15
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

Thanks for contributing with your educated reply!
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote