Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
syrespect

Thumbs up GFT Carbonio Hatch Customs Fins

I thought I'd share this post taken from HSD forum. This new fin in the US is now being distributed by Hatch Customs originally out of Hawaii known for hand crafted wood spearguns. What really interest me, is that these blades are a 22 deg angle very similar to my DiveR carbons yet these look more durable!! I'm curious to try a pair out. I'd like to hear some feedback if any of you have tried them. I might have to get a pair from this introductory price being offered.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hatch Custom Spear Guns is pleased to announce a new partnership with Carbonio Gft. Hatch is now the exclusive distributor for Carbonio GFT products in the US. Hatch Carbon fins by Carbonio GFT are now available at http://www.hatchcustoms.com/fins

Receive a $50 introductory discount for complete fin and blade purchases made in the month of August. Use Discount Code: AUG - expires Midnight Aug 31, 2010.

Hatch Carbon blades have revolutionized fin development. Manufactured by the experienced team at Carbonio GFT, Hatch Carbons offer superior flexibility, durability, and responsiveness for unequaled performance. The primary goal of Hatch Carbon fins is to reduce energy consumption while providing safety at high depths. The 22° angle between the foot-pocket and blade provides maximum propulsion.

The carbon used by GFT reduces the weight of the blades while providing high elasticity and absorption of energy. Rather than the traditional 'lay-up' or infusion methods, GFT utilizes pre-preg carbon fiber. Pre-preg is a more sophisticated and advanced process for carbon fiber production used for operationally critical parts in aerospace. Because the mechanical properties of fibers are greater than those of resins, the greater the volume of fibers compared to resin, the greater the mechanical properties will be. Using fabrics and fibers that are pre-impregnated with resin maximizes the ratio of carbon fiber to resin retaining more of its renowned properties.

Using the typical 'lay-up' process carbon fiber maintains approximately 30-40% of its mechanical properties associated with. While more complex, the infusion process only brings this number up to 55%. With the more refined process of pre-preg the ratio reaches 70%. In addition to the mechanical properties associated with pre-preg, the material is placed in a vacuum bag and heated to temperatures of 150- 180° under pressure. This process maximizes the strength of each fin—having steel as its only comparison—but with the advantage of significantly lower weight and flexibility. This comparison is not possible utilizing manual impregnation and cold curing methods.

With the superior stability offered by the addition of side water rails, Hatch Carbon by Carbonio GFT is an evolutionary leap in fin production having a raw feeling of strength with more lightness, more thrust, and more reaction.
syrespect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Kingspear
Dive And Let Die

Re: GFT Carbonio Hatch Customs Fins

Price?

Ephraim

Kingspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:57 AM   #3
syrespect

The website has all the prices and models. I'm really interested in trying the shorter blades for shallow reef diving. Let's see some reviews!
syrespect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
nudiver

Does it have the warranty?
i am in the market for a new fins too
nudiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
jonesin

The fins come with a 2-year warranty!
jonesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
Boss1

ive got a pair comin in! i Cant wait to try them!
Boss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:43 AM   #7
TEJ
Tree Killer

Yep I have pair, got them a few months ago from Mike Hatch in Hawaii. I like them alot, a little on the stiff side. But they work great.

TEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Mattedhead
Matt Head

I have a pair of GFT's (also pre-preg) and they are the bomb! Without a doubt the most durable carbon fins I have ever seen. I'm experimenting with footpockets now. I haven't had a chance to try them next to my OMER rekord carbons, which to date have been my favorite carbon fins for spearing.
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
morey_b
10" Member

I also have a pair of these and can also say they are the best Ive used, hands down. I have the mediums and they are a little stiffer than Im used to, but they produce excellent power with only the slightest effort. Im trying to get a pair of the softs which are better suited for me.

If anyone wants to trade me a pair of softs, or buy these from me, pm me with an offer. They have about 3 dives on them.
morey_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
Boss1

Ugh i hate you! I just ordered my pair! I would have bought them from you!!
Boss1 is offline   Reply With Quote