Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 01-09-2004, 03:05 AM   #1
blueh2oboy
Professional Snorkeller

A day out at the Banks

Today is my birthday and i had a pretty excellent week to go with it. Some guys invited me out for a dive on a bank in NSW Australia that there are always big fish on, yellowtail Kingfish, Marlin, Wahoo and the occasional even bigger toothy fish that feed on all those. Out at the banks we were greeted with 75 ft vis and lots of bait so it was looking good. First drift the guy i was diving with dove down and shot a Kingie (same as a california yellowtail) about 15lbs as a school of 100+ fish came around him. I dove down and lined up the biggest ones but didin't see any over 30lbs and was waiting for a really big one so didin't take the shot. As he strings the fish i am watching all around us and this gigantic shape materializes under us. I'm thinking "Holy shit! this is it, a f#$!ing Great White and I've only been in the water 10 minutes." Instead it turns out to be the largest seal you have ever seen and he immediately grabs the fish and chews on it. Jason dives and jabs it in the neck only to have him look over, bare his teeth and then swim off with the whole rig. We recovered the rig but the big bastard(around 800lbs easily) harrassed us the rest of the morning. A while later the guys in teh boat start freaking that a marlin is on our floats but by the time i get over there he is gone and i'm left in the blue. Next couple of drifts things started getting hot and everyone but me saw Marlin from 130-400 lbs but either missed or screwed the shots. I knew my chance was coming but after another hour, with 2 guys seasick andt eh rest becoming disallusioned they wanted to go in to a shallow spot and shoot kingies. I stepped up and said, "no way you are thinking about leaving a spot on a day that we've already seen 6 marlin. there is no better time than now. This is it, this drift I'm putting one in teh boat lets go!" We ran up again and i had them stick us between two bait school in the deep water and 5 of us jumped in. Keeping about 30 feet from the flasher i was scanning and saw teh bill and head of an enormous marlin appear out of the blue. I was already breathed up and calm and dove to intercept him at 15 ft down. From 8 feet away i pulled the trigger on my Rabitech and watched as the shaft hit perfectly a foot behind and even with the top of the gill plate and exited a full foot out the other side. "I'm on!!! Marlin!!!!!!" To be honest i think i blacked out for a few seconds after the shaft went through him becasue i was so pumped and i only remember the float line going slowly out through my hands and tightening my grip to be led slowly though the water by the 10+ ft fish. He swam towards another guy who frantically tried to load and get a shot of but he saw him and returned to me then hauled ass. Hooting and hollering i quickly had my mask wrapped around the back of my head and left the boys chasing to give me another gun in the dust. after afew minutes the fish came to the surface and the damn gigantic seal came blazing past me after him. He must have thouyght twice about it because then he came back and sat right along side of me as i skied along the surface. All the guys were now in teh boat and it was on a full plane to catch up with me. I thought he was jumping but becasue the swell was a bout 8 ft i couldn't see anything except white water. We were crusing along same as before with me still on the float line(50 ft of float line then 25 ft of bungey to a single EXTREME float) when all of the sudden POP! F#!k F#!k F#!k!!!!!! Cursing and disbelief i watched as the marlin came back towards me at full speed straight for the center of my chest. Oh shit! about 5 feet from me he turned broadside and i realized it was a different and even bigger one!! i could have reached out and touched him he was so close. Heartbroken but still full of adrenaline i got in the boat and rerigged quickly to make a few more drifts with one fish seen but nothing else speared.
Anyone who has speared with me knows how meticulous i am about my gear and the rig was in perfect condition. Wrapping the line back o nthe gun we found that it had knicks from where his tail had been hitting it for a foot ahead of the break. It had broken about 5 feet from where it would have been crimped onto the shaft so the distance of 8 feet would been perfect for the tail theory. It was the first time the shaft and mono had been used so it was perfect. Another theory is that the seal could have hit it or the other marlin could have as well. And teh final theory is that he was eaten by the Great White that the boys failed to mention they had seen from the boat earlier and refused to tell us about until we had left the spot. No wonder they were sticking so close to us. Tehy said his fin was about 3 feet high. Shit happens. It just wasn't meant to be. I am confident that i will get one in teh next few weeks as i will be puitting a lot of time in the water and know that it can be done. Sorry i don't have any pics this time but just know that that was one of the most insane moments in my life when that fish came into sight and i realized i had just shot a 400lb fish. 2 bands and a single flopper shaft for you who don't believe in euro style guns. The rabitech did the job. Luck of the draw and i lost out this time. B ut it was still one of the most incredible days on teh water i have ever had. 8 marlin seen and a hell of a good memory. Wish you all were here to enjoy this place with me. Cameron

www.Spearblog.com Stories, videos, how-to, pictures, and all out spearfishing lies from Cameron Kirkconnell

Team Riffe
SaltLife

www.youtube.com/user/cameronkirkconnell
blueh2oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 06:25 AM   #2
keyspearfisher

Not enough prople get to take a ride like that. Sounds like you had fun.

Just happened to be in the right place at the right time.
keyspearfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 08:23 AM   #3
RabiSpear
Blake Gaylord

Awesome story, Cam. I have absolute faith in the APEX guns after that. Thanks for the call. I couldn't sleep last night because that was all I thought about. Good luck on Monday!
Old 01-09-2004, 08:51 AM   #4
Vandolin
Spear me the drama

Blue

Great post!!! I'm stuck inland and that has definately got the juices flowin. Hope you get one next time.
Vandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:50 PM   #5
olbone

Blueh02boy=Superhero?
olbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 02:01 PM   #6
rigdvr
Im a diver, not a thinker

one word about the shooting line...CABLE...
rigdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:35 AM   #7
RabiSpear
Blake Gaylord

Mike,
How has cable worked for you on railguns? I suggested either 1000 lb spectra spliced onto the spear or dyneema. I think Cam went with antline for the time being. Both of us would be interested in your feedback and experience in shooting big fish.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:26 AM   #8
Dive Ranger

Cam,

Sounds like a ball. I spent the weekend chasing Alabama ducks--great fun despite my limited personal success. Next time, I'm sure you'll be able to post pictures of the kill.

TH
Dive Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 04:27 PM   #9
rigdvr
Im a diver, not a thinker

My dive buddy shoots an RA with cable and has had no problems with it. He has shot aj's to 80# and wahoo to 80+ with it. I am not familiar with the specific rigging technique for the RA but will ask him. All I can tell you is he uses 500# non coated ss cable and he splices it to form the loop at the back of the shaft?

School started today so of course for the first time in almost a month it is calm enough to go out...slick calm! Makes me sick just thinking about it.
rigdvr is offline   Reply With Quote