Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:00 PM   #16
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

Re: EPIRB Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Whether you mount it or keep it in the ditch bag, everyone on the boat that day needs to know where it is and everyone on the boat needs to be able to show you how to operate it as well as the VHF radio.
Always something I do with new and regular divers. That big yellow bag is THE most important thing on the boat. We all know how quickly things can go from "perfect day out on the water" to "shit show".
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:04 PM   #17
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

Re: EPIRB Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Too many variables to say.

I would want my guys to drop the hook first. If the boat's dead in the water and your guy is on the bottom the boat could end up far down current before the diver surfaces. Wind could be blowing in the opposite or in a different direction. I think anchoring on the spot with expectation the diver is going to resurface near the spot will increase the probability diver and boat don't get separated. If diver comes up down current you can pull the hook to move toward them.
James brings up an excellent point here. Since most of us never anchor, keeping track of bubbles is important, but also drift. If the boat suddenly goes dead, and your initial attempts to fire the motors back up fails, you need to make sure your operators (not you, since you know what to do) immediately drop the anchor to stop any drift.

Knowing how to use a VHF and EPIRB is also very important.

Way too many spectators and not enough operators in this sport.

PS - Matt, hey! Let's talk and try to make some dives happen this year!
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote