Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Video and Photo Gear

All About Video and Photo Gear This section is for your video and photography gear questions, comments, and experiences

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
campione

GoPro battery life and files saved

I have realized than when the battery dies the last video file is lost. It's there but it doesn't play, as if it was corrupted somehow. So I guess if you start recording continuously for 2 hrs and then the battery is out, you've probably lost everything.
Thus, nowdays I stop and save small video files, at every opportunity. Like when I rest at the surface, get my bearings, etc. This creates several smaller video files, around 5-10 minutes each. Of course at some point the battery dies and I lose the last file. But at least I have all the prior files saved.
campione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:40 AM   #2
hau
peskadot

Re: GoPro battery life and files saved

campione---thank you for the information
Now, can you tell me HOW you "save small video files, at every opportunity. Like when I rest at the surface, get my bearings, etc."?
(Please keep in mind that I am geek challenged). Thank you
Old 01-19-2014, 05:40 AM   #3
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Id make the clips smaller. A 5 minuet clip is sill a few gigs on a GP3. Those files are huge to move and take up a lot of computer space. I make 1-3 minuet vids to help with rendering and for easier editing.

Hau, he is talking about starting and stopping the video with the shutter button. Start to begin filming and stop to save the file.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
AlexbeeintheUK

Campione, I believe that if every file is getting corrupted what you could do is when you get home, plug the camera in to charge, then turn on the camera and you should see a symbol of a guy on a moto cross bike, that means its working to fix the files. I know its not ideal but i had it happen to me, i put the card back in the camera with it charging, turned it on and it fixed the files, it did take about an hour to do its thing but it worked.
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
Id make the clips smaller. A 5 minuet clip is sill a few gigs on a GP3. Those files are huge to move and take up a lot of computer space. I make 1-3 minuet vids to help with rendering and for easier editing.

Hau, he is talking about starting and stopping the video with the shutter button. Start to begin filming and stop to save the file.
I also try to keep my clips short. Maybe 5 minutes max.. much easier to go through them and you can also discard ones you don't like. 95% of your video will not be usable for anything..
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
laguna80
El Capitan

That's weird, I can't remember if I've ever lost a clip while filming. I don't know if I got out before the battery died or if I've ever noticed a clip missing.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:11 AM   #7
campione

AlexinUK, thanks, I'll give this a try next time. It may save me a priceless clip.
This corruption doesn't happen every time the battery dies. But has happened a couple of times. Luckily there wasn't any special footage lost.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant by saving small files. I push stop after a few dives, and it saves the last clip. It is easier to work with smaller video files.
campione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
Polespearo
Waterman

When i am taking my last or alms last breath i begin g=filming, when i come up if it was good i give myself on the camera a thumb up, bad a thumb down and then i review the videos starting from the last seconds, if i see a thumb down i delete no questions, if its a thumb up i watch the whole, saves so much time!
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #9
hau
peskadot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polespearo View Post
When i am taking my last or alms last breath i begin g=filming, when i come up if it was good i give myself on the camera a thumb up, bad a thumb down and then i review the videos starting from the last seconds, if i see a thumb down i delete no questions, if its a thumb up i watch the whole, saves so much time!
GREAT idea.

where is the "like" button ?
Old 01-30-2014, 12:52 AM   #10
spearVibes

Which version do you have? I have a 3+, and idk if the same applies to the 3, but when filming the camera breaks up larger video files into separate chapters; around the 20min mark. It should also close out the current file before powering down when the battery died. I've never had a problem with a corrupted or missing last file.

Have you updated it?

Last edited by spearVibes; 01-30-2014 at 12:53 AM. Reason: added content
spearVibes is offline   Reply With Quote