Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
i want flattys

introducing myself. LA diver.

I have been part of spearboard for half a year, and I still havent introduced myself. My names Matt, and im 21 yrs old and im from Los Angeles. I have been surfing since I was six , and spearing since I was 15 or so. Im a LA county lifegaurd. I surf competively on the WQS. I have been all around the world for surf contest. I surf when its good and spear when its not..I started out with a polespear, then moved on to a gun. Im scuba certified, but only freedive for fish. I use a Riffe. Im always on the hunt for Halibut. Thats my fav fish to shoot so far.The biggest fish I have shot is prob a 32" flatty. I have never shot a wsb or yellowtail but would like to try my luck this year. I feel confident in my swimming and fish stalking abilities, but feel I still have ALOT to learn, and would appreciate anyone willing to share some knowledge with me. I live in the middle of Malibu and PV, and im willing to make the drive to either to meet up for a dive. I usually dive around a couple local jettys and structures that hold some decent fish. You would not have to worry about me keeping up and I can hold my own.
Thanks.
i want flattys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
Don Paul

Re: introducing myself. LA diver.

Welcome, Matt. There are a number of great speros up in you area, I'm sure some will chime in soon. Thanks for guarding the beach's, I always hope I pro will be in the stand if some thing every happens to my kid and I'm not with him.
All the best, Don Paul
Don Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
i want flattys

Thanks Don.See you in the water.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
campbellc0321
Cortez Morning

Welcome to SB. Lots of good divers on here. Last season PV was the place to be for WSB And to all the PV locals
Old 02-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
fisherman.Ivan
100# Club

Wassup matt... I live back in south bay during the summer so maybe we can get a dive. In. I'm 22 so were close in age group. I hit PV a lot last year and my main dive buddy went to the marines so we should get a dive in.

LONG BEACH NEPTUNE
fisherman.Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
freeride
Joe

Welcome! I am an avid surfer also. I used to be at trestles every day I was not traveling. AS I am getting older and not working in the surf industry anymore I am spending much more time diving, and only surfing 3-4 days a week unless it is good or the vis sucks.
freeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:52 AM   #7
headshot

Welcome, Matt.
headshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:02 AM   #8
i want flattys

campbell- thanks for the welcome and wsb tip.
Ivan- Im down to get some dives in, ill be around all summer. Where do u usually go?I got a couple local spots that are pretty good.
joe- Whats up joe, ive probally seen you out at lowers in the summer months,Hows the spearing in san clemente? thnx for the welcome
thanks for the welcome headshot
Old 02-10-2010, 01:55 AM   #9
kev the sea dog
cold? wait you'll numb up

Welcome Matt,
I have been spearing/freediving for 15 years. I live in Alhambra and dive Malibu area as much as possible. I am a longboarder (skateboarder) so I appreciate the surf stoke. You are welcome to dive with me anytime. Just shoot me a PM when you're down.
Peace.
PS I don't care what season it is, if I don't get in the water I start to dry out.
"You can learn from an ordanary bamboo leaf what ought to happen. It bends lower and lower under the weight of snow. Suddenly the snow slips to the ground without the leaf having stirred. Stay like that at the point of highest tension until the shot falls from you. So, indeed, it is: when the tension is fullfilled, the shot must fall, it must fall from the archer like snow from a bamboo leaf, before he even thinks." The Master
kev the sea dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:02 AM   #10
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Big Dume in the summer is where the flatties stack up thick
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:17 AM   #11
fisherman.Ivan
100# Club

I usually go north pv area but if we start diving we'll explore. i know some good spots

LONG BEACH NEPTUNE
Old 02-10-2010, 02:24 AM   #12
i want flattys

Kyle Parker- thanks for the flatty tip! Ill be there.
Hey kev , thanks for the welcome and the invite to dive with ya. I am 100% down. Im home for the next month, and out of work right now, so I can spear everyday .Im willing to make the drive to pv or malibu area. If you are going anytime soon, just let me know.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:28 AM   #13
i want flattys

Ivan, just let me know when your in town and well make it happen. I can dive for the next month if your around, then ill be in aus and tasmania for a couple weeks, then ill be home all summer.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:45 AM   #14
fisherman.Ivan
100# Club

Alright, but until we get closer to summer i will be tied up a lil due to my last semester in college. Spearfishing and snowboarding is the only thing that keeps me sane and I cant even dive right now and snowboarding is hurting the pocket severely. I'l keep in touch.

LONG BEACH NEPTUNE