Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearboard Best Trip Report and/or Video Challenge > 2013 Best Trip Report and/or Video Challenge

2013 Best Trip Report and/or Video Challenge Show us your hottest stuff and win recognition and prizes!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #1
ANYH2O

Baja Rules

The more I dive and learn about Baja the more I enjoy it.
This last April we were there for a month and explored everything we could:
Touching Grey whale on the west coast, surfing Scorpion bay, riding whale sharks in the Bay of conception, and of course spearfishing.
We caught clams, squid, scalopes, and fish galore.
Here is a sample of one of our better days.
My 14 yo boy, a Hawaiian couple, and myself panga out to a local island and in less then 3 hr have 9 yellow tail on board all 25-35 pounds. Next we go and shoot some snapper and cabrilla. While in the snapper spot my boy swims down the island and gets a few hints from the panga driver and stones a 80 pound grouper in 40 ft of water. It is now been 4 hours or diving and we have done way more then we could ever dream. But on the way home the YT push the squid to the surface and the birds go crazy all right in front of us. So we pull our the nets and gaffs and throw 30 squid in the boat all about 20 inches.
What a great day and great dinner.
If your interested in making memories like this, try staying at this great Villa.
Comfortable for the family, lots to do for everyone, and central to great exploring and SPEARFISHING.
CHECK OUT this web site for details and watch the spearfishing video for a glimpse of some of the action: www.vrbo.com/339293
ANYH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
agbiv
Spear, cook, and eat fish

Re: Baja Rules

Really looking into this fascinating place! Can you give me any info on air carriers, taking of spearguns and auto rentals. Also what about safety?
Old 10-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
JakeinVegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbiv View Post
Really looking into this fascinating place! Can you give me any info on air carriers, taking of spearguns and auto rentals. Also what about safety?
I drove from Vegas to Mike's place in June with my wife and kids. We felt absolutely safe the entire time. See my review of the trip at the link below.

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=176421
JakeinVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
agbiv

Read your previous post--sounds great except for the heat--so no June or July! I'm going to have to check on air carriers to Loreto and car rental, as well how hard it is to fly there with speargns and gear.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
ANYH2O

So here are some recommendations for activities and weather.
The region is completely safe, that is as safe as the US, no cartel in Baja.
Best weather is Oct -May
June starts getting HOT, Sept can cool off but seems to be the Hurricane month, with rain.
Grey whale touching is Dec-April
Whale sharks are in front of the villa April-June +-
Fishing is good year round with the pelagic's coming in about April (March this yr) YT Dorado, AJ, Bill fish, roosters...
Winter can be windy Nov-March
Easter is a zoo there.
Best visibility they say is Oct-Nov, also winter seems be good for big grouper.
Clams, scalopes, octopus, squid, halibut, snapper, carbilla, shrimp, this area has it all, fresh.
Our Villa has its own private beach, kayaks, 7 islands to explore, privacy, great views....
It is centrally located for great family activities: kayaking and easy snorkeling-spearfishing-clams --or-- hard core blue water or reef spearo trips
www.vrbo.com/339293
Check out the videos my boy made and look over the calendar for open dates.
Mike anyh2o@hughes.net
Old 10-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
ANYH2O

If anyone wants more info on Baja, please just chime in and ask.
This regions is so much fun for the family and great unexplored spearfishing around every corner.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
Birdman

What is the best logistics from SLC,UT? When is your favorite time down there if you have been in all 12 months of the year? Is there local contacts for info if you are not there and people have questions,etc? Restaurants, or grocery stores near by? Thanks Mike. Never been to Baja but will someday and your place looks and sounds awesome.

Last edited by Birdman; 10-10-2014 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Can't spell. Raised in the South.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #8
ANYH2O

Drive to SD for a night and then to Mulege, both 12 hr drives.
Anytime is good ---just skip the summer June -Sept as they are hot, but great fishing.
Lots of boats for diving off , fun beach restaurants and bars, and plenty of groceries.
This Villa is build for perfect family reunions and lg groups--enjoy
www.vrbo.com/339293
Old 10-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #9
agbiv

Your locale and place looks just beautiful and exciting. However, getting there from San Antonio, Texas is prohibitive to fly and too much time to drive from San Diego (Southwest flys there very reasonably). However, this place is on my "bucket list".

Last edited by agbiv; 10-19-2014 at 07:14 PM.
agbiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #10
kephelos

I may book it for my honeymoon, thanks for the tip! We may have to wait a few weeks to go though as they are already booked for easter. Any comparable recommendations? Easy beach access is of the utmost naturally.
kephelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #11
Finbreaker
Thanks, but no tanks!

Is this villa in Mulege? How do you go about hiring a reliable pangero?
Old 03-09-2015, 07:37 AM   #12
ANYH2O

To answer a few of the last questions:
LA to Loreto and drive 1 hr north is fastest and best, however not always the cheapest and limited flight days makes for problems too.
So you can fly in cheap to Cabo almost any time or day and drive 7ish hr north. Sounds crazy but Fox did it and saved a lot of money.
Or
Fly in to la paz save a little $$ better flights and drive 5+ hr north.
There is one more option if you live in So Ca and that is to park, taxi to TJ air port and fly cheap to loreto, rent a car and drive the 1 hr north.

The villa is 15 south of Mulege, 1/4 mi south of Santicpac beach on the cliff with its own private beach, Store your boat right there on the beach or my mooring. there are stairs to the Villa and the beach -- good exercise see detailed map for location on web site

I love scouting and learning new areas and this last year I worked with 5 new baja divers I coached and really learn the area very well, new wrecks, bigger and better fish, lobster, great boats and drivers, new islands......it just keeps getting better and better.
Highlights from last spring included 50 lb YT, 80 lb grouper, 50 lb Aj, squid, halibut, and diving with our whale sharks, this place has it all for the family reunion (spearo trip) or with the buddies for a big fishing trip to bring home the meat.
www.vrbo.com/339293
try to plan a year out for holidays and 6 mo out for most of the rest of the year.
MM
Old 05-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #13
BajaPapi

Awesome photos brother!
I love Baja! My parents have a place in La Paz, so I try to make it out there a few times per year and hit dives off Isla Cerralvo or Isla Espiritu Santo.

Last edited by BajaPapi; 05-01-2015 at 05:40 PM.
BajaPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #14
Neptonic Systems
Official Sponsor

Sounds like a great trip!

Quality you can trust from North America's Largest Selection of Spearfishing Equipment.
Neptonic Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:48 AM   #15
ANYH2O

April update 2015
Water was a bit cool this April 70 degrees, YT and AJ were a little thin but the Cabrilla were big and a blast to shoot. Whale sharks have been in all month in the bay of conception.
I have a great panga and driver I use and I will hook anyone up with that stays here.
He has the best boat 26', newer OB Suzuki 115hp, T top for shade, padded seats, live bait tank, fish storage, he provides poles, he cleans your fish,he speaks English, he has a gps-depth sounder, he is a diver, we have worked on logging in dozens of great spots for the last 3 years and he has 20 more years worth of spots, he will stay out as long as you want to dive and he is always up. He can go live boat or anchor and is very safe.
Just a great perk on staying in the Bay of Conception.
www.vrbo.com/339293