Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
keithfernandez
SoFloSpearo till death

Arrow Tournaments?

Does anyone know any good tournaments in florida for someone my age range (15-18). Also either blue water or shallow reef (up to like 40ft) and no tanks just free diving. If so could you reply with info, dates, and a link if possible? Thanks so much.
keithfernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
morey_b
10" Member

Re: Tournaments?

TCSD Spearfishing club is working on putting together a tournament in mid June. The plan is to make it a "species" tournament where dive teams are given points for shooting as many different species as possible. Objective will be to go out and shoot snapper, grouper, hogs etc as well as different pelagics. This will show which team is the most versatile and able to land all different fish types in 1 day of spearing. We think it will make for a fun day of team work and strategy. It will be based out of ft pierce inlet.

Scoring is is still to be determined but will be something along the lines of the following. You weigh all your fish (a certain amount allowed ex. 4 grouper, 4 snapper, 2 kings) and then take that weight and multiply it by the number of species caught to give you your points.

We still working out the details and will release more info when we are ready. Respond below if you guys would be interested in entering such a tournament.
morey_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
H2O ADDICTION
I care about YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by morey_b View Post
TCSD Spearfishing club is working on putting together a tournament in mid June. The plan is to make it a "species" tournament where dive teams are given points for shooting as many different species as possible. Objective will be to go out and shoot snapper, grouper, hogs etc as well as different pelagics. This will show which team is the most versatile and able to land all different fish types in 1 day of spearing. We think it will make for a fun day of team work and strategy. It will be based out of ft pierce inlet.
I can't wait - we have a great team of people working on putting this event together this time - Nice to have the help of some people with "boat tourney" experience.

We're expecting to see some great competition coming from far and wide, and after the smoke clears they'll be bringing some fantastic fish to the weigh-in and celebrations!

What team will be going home with "Glass" and bragging rights remains to be seen - I hope it's the boat I'm on - I KNOW we got the spots!
H2O ADDICTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
keithfernandez
SoFloSpearo till death

Thank You
Old 04-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
Moondogie
One Breath, One Kill

You just missed the TBSC - one of the largest and best in the country. Definitely the friendliest tourney around.

PBFD Kingfish shootout is coming up soon, but most people dive deep (60-80) for that. Still, it's known that some of the biggest kings like to troll the shallow reefs, so you're still a competitor at 40ft. All you have to do is depart and return from Burt Reynolds Park in Jupiter on May 5th.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
Summertime
Team JBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondogie View Post
You just missed the TBSC - one of the largest and best in the country. Definitely the friendliest tourney around.

PBFD Kingfish shootout is coming up soon, but most people dive deep (60-80) for that. Still, it's known that some of the biggest kings like to troll the shallow reefs, so you're still a competitor at 40ft. All you have to do is depart and return from Burt Reynolds Park in Jupiter on May 5th.
I have never run into kings as deep as 60-80 I always seem they from 40-20

Summertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
AndrewG
snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summertime View Post
I have never run into kings as deep as 60-80 I always seem they from 40-20
I think that Steve hit his big king last year pretty deep...but the rest of us slackers were getting them shallow.

www.Palmbeachfreedivers.com
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
AndrewG
snorkeler

...had to add some obligatory photos for the thread derail. Steve's King won the 2011 Kingfish Tournament. He did take the "crown" from Wolf that year...will he repeat for 2012 or will a worthy challenger beat him this year....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3053_m.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	170799   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3051_m.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	170800  

www.Palmbeachfreedivers.com
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
Moondogie
One Breath, One Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I think that Steve hit his big king last year pretty deep...but the rest of us slackers were getting them shallow.
A downward shot at the edge of my RA 120 range while I was at 76ft. Since then I've seen bigger ones while I was at 30ft, so I think it's really anyones game.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
keithfernandez
SoFloSpearo till death

Thanks so much.