Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:44 PM   #31
jfjf

Re: shark Shield in the Middle Grounds

Damn that was bad. Multiple sharks all excited and competing with each other.

I think I would have backed up into the reef to help cover my back. You were ridding a scooter, I think it is worse to be swimming with them and moving so slowly.

In a situation like that I wonder if blasting one shark would make a difference? I’ve never powerheaded a shark (yet).
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:00 PM   #32
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Hey Jim, I frequently use the reef to cover my back especially if I have a fish that I am preparing to send up. In this case that black had hidden there in the reef and later in the video several of the sharks had their noses down in the reef trying to get at him. Unfortunately I lost the fish that time because there were too many sharks and i felt like i needed to just move away. I dove that spot later in the day and couldnt find him.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:03 PM   #33
dkay

That's a crazy video! Can't say that I've ever had that many sharks on me on a dive in the GOM. Very appropriate for shark week.
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:36 PM   #34
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

I use a similar setup, but since i'm freediving i use 30lb mono that can be easily broken if needed. I'm worried that the setup would get stuck on the bottom or structure during a dive, or on the shooting line when fighting a fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Sure. It's actually closer to 7/8". Repurposed off an old bag.

TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:26 PM   #35
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMackDaddy View Post
I use a similar setup, but since i'm freediving i use 30lb mono that can be easily broken if needed. I'm worried that the setup would get stuck on the bottom or structure during a dive, or on the shooting line when fighting a fish.
Nah, these clips breakaway with about tens pounds of force. When I used a loose loop zip tie the leash kept falling out. I did not want it cinched down. Is that how you secured it with the mono?
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:13 PM   #36
Dbrown

Sea Archer.....
Holy hell. That video is horrible. You are one cool collected character under fire.
I don't know how you didn't get bit.

Terrible.

Glad you were ok.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:36 PM   #37
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Sea Archer.....
Holy hell. That video is horrible. You are one cool collected character under fire.

Terrible.

Glad you were ok.
Yeah unfortunately for the sharks, this is learned behavior and they now associate divers with a free meal. The irony is that these shark diving outfits are claiming to be proponents of shark conservation. I think in the end it will end up harming the sharks as many spearfisherman are forced to protect themselves.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:30 AM   #38
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Def learned behavior. Shark feeding should be banned...period. Glad you kept your act together. Good job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtUj...HOLnolbCo3PlDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGMIgPFBW1M
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:48 AM   #39
sharpshooter

I have had a shark shield for about 2 years. It's worked great with 1 or 2 sharks. Hopefully, I don't get to try it out in a crazy pack of sharks like in your video. At least the water wasn't murky. That's even worse when they're swarming around.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:05 AM   #40
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Sea Archer.....

Terrible.

Glad you were ok.
I agree. That was really bad. When I watched the video on my phone I thought the sharks got the fish right away. If they tore into it, it might have been worse, who knows.

The situation here is ridiculous, 25 yrs ago we hunted groupers all
Winter on scuba and could get 5 or so per day on commercial
Trips -‘sometimes more and I had very few sightings of sharks and we kept the grouper in a solid canvas bag and never had to float fish. If I even saw a single shark we would move and this rarely happened.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:11 AM   #41
tb_buc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Update on the SS issue. The paracord qr clips weren't strong enough so I used a bigger 1/2" clip and it worked perfect. SS leash never touched me yesterday. I think I have a winner.
Did having the leash “clipped” to your fin affect swimming/kicking?
tb_buc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #42
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb_buc View Post
Did having the leash “clipped” to your fin affect swimming/kicking?
No. I don't notice it at all. In fact, it's actually better now since it's doesn't drag on the bottom. As you can see I positioned it right at the end of the fin holder/tendon (whatever you call it) so it has very little effect on the hydrodynamics.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #43
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Dang, tough crowd on that dive.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #44
sailence

I haven't speared in about 5 or 6 years, was looking to get back into it. It looks like a sharkshield is a must have. What has caused increased shark activity in the coastal region?

My last dive I got chased back to the boat by 2 6 foot bullsharks. I had just shot a hog and you could tell he was expecting me to give it to him. These people that feed the sharks have really interfered with nature. Those 2 sharks, no matter how many times I jabbed them in the nose would not leave me alone. Until I got to the boat. Dem son bitchs didnt get my fish though.
sailence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:40 AM   #45
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

I think the increase in sharks is multifactorial (decreased commercial shark fishing, shark "conservation", as well as learning to rely on humans for food). It is not exactly a secret that when you take a wild animal and provide it with a consistent easy food source it will alter its behavior in some cases to the point it can no longer provide for itself if the artificial food source is removed.

Why migrate and follow the mullet or other migrating food sources when you can stay put and be hand fed by "conservationist" divers.