Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
ny_er

Anyone going to be around La Paz/Loreto in Oct?

Going to La Paz area with some fisherman from Key West.

Anyone going to be in the area who might want to meet up and/or go in on chartering a boat, contact me.

Also I want to drive to Loreto and try diving up there. I researched it on here but most found old posts for like 7 years ago, so if anyone can give any tips I would appreciate it.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:15 PM   #2
JakeinVegas

Re: Anyone going to be around La Paz/Loreto in Oct?

Careful spearing around Loreto. Most of the area is a marine preserve and is off limits to spearing. Apparently you can fish hook and line in the area but no spearing and no large commercial vessels. If I remember correctly I read about some guys from this board who got in some real hot water spearing in an area that they thought was out of the preserve but actually wasn't and mex fish and game was not amused. Have a great trip.
JakeinVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:08 AM   #3
Polespearo
Waterman

I live in La Paz and spearfish every weekend. How many people and for how long are you guys staying. As per the reasons mentioned before. Skip Loreto. There is enough action around here or incan recomend you a great trip around here.
G
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:38 AM   #4
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinVegas View Post
Careful spearing around Loreto. Most of the area is a marine preserve and is off limits to spearing. Apparently you can fish hook and line in the area but no spearing and no large commercial vessels. If I remember correctly I read about some guys from this board who got in some real hot water spearing in an area that they thought was out of the preserve but actually wasn't and mex fish and game was not amused. Have a great trip.

My uncle has a house in Loreto. After checking with him, spearfishing is actually legal anywhere you can legally fish. The problem is that some local movers and shakers want to turn Loreto into an eco/adventure tourism venue. These people have convinced the local enforcement authorities that spearfishing is against the rules, even though it is not. Well, only if your are scuba diving.

Here are the latest park rules and regulations. http://www.bajaquest.com/loreto/marinepark.htm

They specifically mention

A) "Remember, free diving (snorkeling / skin diving) and SCUBA diving (autonomous) are for observation only. It is prohibited to use a spear gun, as well as to chase, disturb, ride, feed, or touch any marine life. It is important to keep a distance that will not harm any rocky or reef formations."

B) "Underwater fishing is limited to five specimens (fish only) per day per person, using rubber band or spring type spears and only while free diving. This activity also requires the purchase of a Mexican fishing license before it takes place. Please be advised that while at this time underwater fishing is permitted, this regulation may change."

As you can see, they intentionally word the rules and regulations in such a way as to confuse spearfishing on scuba with spearfishing while free diving and to confuse speargun with "rubber band or spring type spears". You can thank the treehuggers from the Nature Conservancy for that. I guess you will have to use the term "underwater fishing with a rubber band spear" when hiring a pangero or when someone from the enforcement side asks what you are doing.

Not that they object to you to spending your spearo tourist dollars there, either. Here is a report by a Loreto local on spearfishing outside the park boundary. http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/thr...-spots.504295/

This should give you a good indication of what to expect when you get there.

Good luck and dive safe.

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote