Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 11-03-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
Nitronarcosis

Camping in little harbor 11/6 - 11/9

Doing a last minute camping trip to Catalina nov 6-9. Anybody want to join? I'll cover the campsite, you just need to pay for your ferry trip and the bus ride to the site. That's about $125 for 2+ days of spearing in what should be good conditions and the water is still warm. I know this is a long shot, but it would be cool to have a dive buddy. HMU!
858-722-2879
Nitronarcosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #2
Bob Ballew

Re: Camping in little harbor 11/6 - 11/9

Fall is a great time to dive the island...possible larger size halibut out in front of Little Harbor over to Shark Harbor, good chance of seeing black sea bass and calicos in the big kelp bed going west by the wall and I have landed more than one wsb along the kelp strip by the east wall of Shark Harbor...Good luck.....this area requires you to stay more alert than usual....there is a deep water canyon coming in toward the island that occasionally channels a shark up into shallow water, which is why Shark Harbor is so named....I have never had a problem but, a few other divers and a fisherman have had run-ins with great whites...Once, Russ Armstrong (Avalon) had a swim fin ripped off by a 6' Blue while he had his head in a hole prying an abalone along the west wall....only got a twisted ankle out of it.... Once, I got a spooky feeling I was being watched while diving abalone commercially along the wall.....looked behind me to find a 250 lb bsb just hanging there watching my movements...later,she came back with a baby (50 lbs) and both just hung there watching me pop abs...each dive at Catalina is always a guaranteed new adventure!....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 11-05-2017 at 12:51 AM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:34 AM   #3
Nitronarcosis

Re: Camping in little harbor 11/6 - 11/9

Thanks for the feedback Bob! I always enjoy reading your posts with the detail and wisdom you put into them. I'll bring the gopro in case there's a run in with something big. Been keeping my fish on a float ever since a soupfin bit open my catch bag, cause I ain't going out like that...
Nitronarcosis is offline   Reply With Quote