Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Upper Gulfcoast

Upper Gulfcoast This is the area for spearfishermen in Panama City, Destin/Ft. Walton, Pensacola, Alabama, Miss., and Louisiana.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
Thood6

What riffe gun for freediving oil rigs?

I've been looking at guns for freediving oil rigs, specifically riffes. What style handle and length should I be looking for? I'm new freediving these things and will be using a reel.
Thood6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
kylo1597
Pro Snorkeler

What riffe gun for freediving oil rigs?

Where are you located? For the money you can get a nicer ballasted custom Ulusub or many others. If you're close to destin go visit mike at benthic ocean sports, he has a ton of nice freediving guns in stock. As far as length goes for freediving I would go with a 120-130cm. with that length gun you can shoot all the reef fish youll encounter and mahi on the rip.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
Thood6

Re: What riffe gun for freediving oil rigs?

I'm out of Baton Rouge. I'm not sure of much freediving gear in the area here.

I have some experience freediving wrecks and reefs. I guess a question I have is if it's reasonable to have a gun that can take down decent size AJ's while still being maneuverable on the rigs and taking smaller reef fish. Please forgive my ignorance and I appreciate the help!
Thood6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
jstiver09

Do a few hours of research before buying a Riffe. Mostly subjective stuff but good info none the less. Riffe wouldn't be in my top 10 guns that is for sure.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:53 PM   #5
skram
Sam S. / Descent Apparel

120-130cm with a reel is ideal for the rigs. Lots of options out there but the riffe is nice also.
skram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
Alec

Try looking at the Koah Euro 120's, we're offering free shipping until Labor Day
http://benthicoceansports.com/collec.../koah-euro-120
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #7
kylo1597
Pro Snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thood6 View Post
I'm out of Baton Rouge. I'm not sure of much freediving gear in the area here.

I have some experience freediving wrecks and reefs. I guess a question I have is if it's reasonable to have a gun that can take down decent size AJ's while still being maneuverable on the rigs and taking smaller reef fish. Please forgive my ignorance and I appreciate the help!
you're looking for the same gun we all use. either a 2 banded euro 120cm-130cm or a 3 band midhandle 120-130cm gun. i have friends shooting 120cm riffe euros, 120 wong hybrids, my 130 ulusub midhandle, riffe #3 standard, koah 120-130, mako 130's, RA 120-130's ect

Old 08-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #8
Les Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thood6 View Post
I've been looking at guns for freediving oil rigs, specifically riffes. What style handle and length should I be looking for? I'm new freediving these things and will be using a reel.
I just happened to see your post. I have spearfishing many years in the GOM with many trips to your area.

Since your specifically asked about Riffe, the Standard No 3 is probably their most popular gun; it will shoot all of the fish you asked about. The same length gun is offered in the Competition model which has a slimmer stock.

Another choice with Riffe whether to go with a rear handled gun or mid-handle one. The Na-ka-oi is a good size mid-handle gun for your application. You can shoot it with 2 bands and a 9/32nd shaft or power up to 3 bands with a 5/16th.

They also offer some nice Euro guns which are lighter weight. Their new reel is great.

Having said that, I'm sure you noticed the Riffe guns are quite expensive! If budget is no concern, then both the Riffe and Wong guns are very well made, and quite popular. If you haven't seen a Wong speargun then google Wongspearguns.com. Daryl W. makes a famous Hybrid gun having a CF barrel with a wood stock. I love my 55" CFMagnum; it works extremely well on the rigs.

But....

You don't have to spend a huge amount of money on a speargun to shoot fish on the rigs. There are so many choices. Many, many fish are shot in the Gulf with Biller guns. ABBiller makes guns with wood stocks; their 54" gun will do everything your want also.

If you are going to be shooting Cobia and large AJs, then you may want to stay with a 5/16 shaft, so you don't bend it. You will also possibly want to rig up with SS shooting line.

I would suggest you make a trip or two with friends and try some different guns before your buy. If possible, rig up a target out of a 1" PVC frame with mesh to see how different guns shoot. Some people can't hit the target with a a mid-handle gun. ))

Good luck!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #9
PartyBoy
Aqua Aces

What Les and Kyle said is great advice! About a 55" gun is all you're going to need. Go out with people that have different guns/set-ups to see what you like best before you invest $500+. If you want to see a good selection, go to Temento's on the Westbank in NOLA. They have a great selection of Riffe's, Koah's, and JBL's. People knock JBL's, but there's a lot of fish shot on the rigs w/ JBL's.

Use SS line, slip tip, and possibly a 3/8 shaft when shooting larger fish. I recommend using a horizontal reel to cut down on the drag.

PartyBoy + booze = mayhem
PartyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote