Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 08-03-2019, 09:36 PM   #1
Keysspearoo

Islamorada Bluewater

Hey guys,

Ive been spearfishing for about 2 years now out of Islamorada and have primarily been on the reefs. I really want to go to the next level and shoot some big bluewater fish like Amberjacks, APs, and kingfish. The problem is I dont really know where to start. I know the wrecks are a good place to start but where im located i only know of one, the Eagle, and i went out there one time and we spent all day doing drifts and came up with one rainbow runner and no sightings of any other fish to shoot. On top of that there is heavy boat traffic in that area with people trolling and bottom fishing. Im not asking for secret spots but just to be pointed in the right direction. Is the reef edge a good place to start, like where it drops off from 70-100? Any other wrecks that are worth the gas money? Im really looking for areas that hold AJs more than anything right now, really want to shoot one of those beasts. Any piece of information helps.

Thanks guys
Keysspearoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

Re: Islamorada Bluewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysspearoo View Post
Hey guys,

Ive been spearfishing for about 2 years now out of Islamorada and have primarily been on the reefs. I really want to go to the next level and shoot some big bluewater fish like Amberjacks, APs, and kingfish. The problem is I dont really know where to start. I know the wrecks are a good place to start but where im located i only know of one, the Eagle, and i went out there one time and we spent all day doing drifts and came up with one rainbow runner and no sightings of any other fish to shoot. On top of that there is heavy boat traffic in that area with people trolling and bottom fishing. Im not asking for secret spots but just to be pointed in the right direction. Is the reef edge a good place to start, like where it drops off from 70-100? Any other wrecks that are worth the gas money? Im really looking for areas that hold AJs more than anything right now, really want to shoot one of those beasts. Any piece of information helps.

Thanks guys
its pretty rare to see them on just normal reef there, even deep. I've seen them there but its random.

AJs i've noticed are either on the wrecks or they aren't. When they aren't there no amount of waiting will work. I'm not sure what season or tide phase makes them either be on the wrecks or not, but those are the variables that you would want to zero in on.
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #3
Eibwen

Re: Islamorada Bluewater

I believe the bluewater spearing is typically done out deep (blue water) where the boat uses flashers and chumming in an attempt to bring in the pelagics (dolphin, tuna, etc)
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote