Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Old 06-15-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
Fins369

Know The Regulations

I write this with complete respect that we were all beginners at one point too...

Swimming out to the Squan north jetty tip today, passed by a guy swimming in. His stringer had a 10" blackfish on it. I got his attention, and mentioned blackfish are out of season, and even if they weren't, that fish isn't close to legal size. The irony of it all is that the tip is filled with 10 pound fish inshore for the mating season.... why he took that fish....

He said he asked a guy "on the dock" if they are in season and the guy told him they are. 2 fish per person until end of June... I told him that is bad info, and we should be responsible for knowing the regulations on our own, and most importantly, BEFORE we shoot a fish.

He shrugged all this off, and continued to defend himself by saying the guy on the dock told him it was legal. The fact he kept calling the jetty a "dock" was a humorous aspect to all of this.

On top of it all, he was diving without a dive flag, and his float line connecting his gun to his float was twine...

We were all beginners too at some point, but everyone should know the basic regulations on size and bag limits and MUST dive with a flag on their float.

The guy had basically new gear (red inflatable float) and a Mares wetsuit. There was a black Tacoma in the parking lot plastered with spearfishing brand stickers. It might not have been his truck, but no other divers were at the inlet in this time frame.

If anyone knows this guy, please talk some sense into him. Diving without a flag and taking out of season, and short, fish is a really bad look for the spearfishing community. Relying on jetty fisherman for your information is just as bad...
Fins369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
Orbayburak

Re: Know The Regulations

2 things pisses me off the most. people taking illegal fish on purpose or walking on jetty with loaded gun. Diving a popular spot with no float/flag or with 50ft float line or anchored float is the next one. id have called the game warden if i were you.
Orbayburak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:47 AM   #3
jersymudsniper

I would piss you off then. I dive with a 50 foot float line.The current ripping and your 30ft down your float line is only 10 or 15 feet away from you tugging at you on surface. Plus I don't want anyone within 50 feet of me anyway. Short line is pia to me
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:09 AM   #4
Ric

The problem with these issues, I mean the loaded gun problem, is that when one accident happens. The consequences are always for all. For one fool that misbehaves, it's the entire community who is punished.
Like, the jetty will be closed to spearos, all spearos, all the time, no exception, period.
Whether or not 99% of spearos are very responsible and follow the rules is irrelevant, try to explain that to city officials.

I am not even sure that one accident is necessary. It could be enough that a mother with her kids is scared enough to complain to city officials to have the jetty close. I don't know, but one illegal fish is one thing, somebody walking the jetty with a loaded gun is an entire different matter.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:11 AM   #5
Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbayburak View Post
2 things pisses me off the most. people taking illegal fish on purpose or walking on jetty with loaded gun
Just to be sure, what do you mean 'loaded', do you mean the arrow is just engaged ?
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:50 AM   #6
jersymudsniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Just to be sure, what do you mean 'loaded', do you mean the arrow is just engaged ?
No bands loaded with spear ready to shoot. See it all the time. One slip on a rock and someone might die. Walking down slippery rocks with loaded gun with famillys ect. Gotta be a idiot to do that. But i see it all the time.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:23 AM   #7
njdiver

Aside from a few coastal Municipalities who outlaw any "weapons" or spearguns specifically from their beaches by ordinance, there is the State definition of a weapon that can land you in jail, if a LEO decides he "wants to go there".

These regulations govern our three major inlets and general rules for diving:

TITLE 13. LAW AND PUBLIC SAFETY, CHAPTER 82. BOATING REGULATIONS, SUBCHAPTER 3. OPERATIONAL REGULATIONS, § 13:82-3.17 Diving and swimming http://www.scubanj.org/NJdiverules.html

A single violation should not be enough to shut down an inlet, jetty or groin. The NJCDC has been there for you since 1956, defending your rights to enjoy the water, marine or fresh. Those regulations and the rules for diving NJ State parks were a compromise to banning all diving within any inlet or State Park. Individual compliance and self regulation in our sport is what keeps us safe and allows us the use of all navigable waters. If you see a violation and the individual(s) refuse your advise, call it in to the NJDEP or Marine Law Enforcement. Even a local LEO can detain someone in custody for a violation till a Conservation Officer or NJ State Marine Enforcement Officer can show up. If we cannot "police" ourselves, some politician or bureaucrat will rewrite our regulations and we might lose our rights to dive.