Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Mono Shock Damage?

Hey guys,
Have any of you seen this before?

It looks like my shooting lines have been squeezed with pliers in a handful of places all along the lines. Weird thing is, I have only target shot them for one session each. No bungee, but three full wraps of line and then a reel. No hard tugs on end of shoot, either...
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Mono Shock Damage?

Distance of the flats with respect to the length of the line wrap? If the line release fails to let go, but is wrenched free by the jerk on the shooting line, then it may damage the mono by the metal line release finger hanging onto it momentarily. The shooting line may not always wrap as tight, hence some movement along the line where the damage occurs.
popgun pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
FreediveCA

I have no idea, however, I find it curious that in the first picture the imperfections almost match up with the swivel.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Distance of the flats with respect to the length of the line wrap? If the line release fails to let go, but is wrenched free by the jerk on the shooting line, then it may damage the mono by the metal line release finger hanging onto it momentarily. The shooting line may not always wrap as tight, hence some movement along the line where the damage occurs.
I was using the Pelengas magnetic on this handle, and it does take quite a tug to release it. I have used it before but haven't had this impact the mono, so initially ruled the line release out. But now I remember this was with a different brand of mono and the one I am using now is very soft and malleable, so perhaps it could very well be the release.
Very good point about the movement during stringing possibly leading to the flats being in different spots.
I took the line off yesterday but will do a dummy rigging later to check if the flats match up with the line release.

Will report back later.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreediveCA View Post
I have no idea, however, I find it curious that in the first picture the imperfections almost match up with the swivel.
Ah, I can see how one could start thinking like that, but my bad - the flats just happened to line up with the swivel when I took the pic. When rigged, they don't. Sorry about that
Old 03-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #6
phil herranen

Without knowing more about the gun you are using and how the muzzle looks. I would say the line wrap /tab/whatever , is catching a loop of line and snagging the line at around the shaft leaves the gun , that's why you don't feel the jerk , there is still plenty of power to tear the line of the pin and it happens so fast you won't feel it

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:03 PM   #7
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
Without knowing more about the gun you are using and how the muzzle looks. I would say the line wrap /tab/whatever , is catching a loop of line and snagging the line at around the shaft leaves the gun , that's why you don't feel the jerk , there is still plenty of power to tear the line of the pin and it happens so fast you won't feel it
Just to complete the story the gun is a pneumatic, the "Pelengas" magnetic line release is an "add on" which replaces the rear inlet valve cap on various brands of pneumatic guns. With reels fitted the rear mounted line release is a way to get past the body of the reel when the original trigger operated line release is on the gun's centerline.

Some model changes later "Pelengas" (which is a Mullet, as in "Grey Sea Mullet", a desired catch in that part of the world) moved the trigger controlled line release lever to the left hand side of the gun from the original trigger finger guard location. In the West we usually line wrap on the right hand side of the gun to keep out of the way of the unravelling wraps, but in the former USSR countries shots are taken where the diver is close flanked by aquatic vegetation, hence to avoid the wrap system hauling on the plant life it faces the diver, assuming a right handed user.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	magnetic line release R.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	231839   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic-01.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	231841   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic-02.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	231842  

Last edited by popgun pete; 03-13-2017 at 09:10 PM. Reason: adding photos of line wrapping, sourced from Pelengas website
popgun pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:35 AM   #8
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Sorry I didn't get back to you on this subject guys. The thing is, I misplaced the nicked mono before I got a chance to dummy rig it back on the gun to see if it was the magnetic line release (which Pete posted about above) which was the culprit.
I have since changed the handle on the gun in question to one which has a normal line release which lets go as the trigger is pulled. So far, I haven't seen the same marks on the new mono on that handle.
So, if I had to speculate (and it is only that) I would think that it was the line release needing too much pull to open and that flattened the mono. I don't think there are that many Pelengas line releases outside of Russia and Ukraine yet, but one could reduce the pull needed by adding a few layers of tape or epoxy around the magnet. Their newer version can supposedly even be adjusted in this regard.