Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Video and Photo Gear

All About Video and Photo Gear This section is for your video and photography gear questions, comments, and experiences

Old 10-22-2015, 12:17 AM   #16
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Re: ?'s about Sony A6000 dive housing

Yes it is a wet lens. Takes a minuet to get used to it, but I think it works quite well underwater.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:23 AM   #17
Scottyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
Yes it is a wet lens. Takes a minuet to get used to it, but I think it works quite well underwater.

Nice shot! Is it difficult to adjust the camera settings while wearing gloves? And what settings do you normally use for shooting underwater. Do you just play with the settings and use that for every time you dive, or do you readjust the settings according to the conditions? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for answering them so far!
Scottyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:52 AM   #18
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Nope not at all. Porker just keeps his camear in Iauto all the time, but I keep my camera in Manual mode and use the aperture wheel to make adjustments on the fly. I do play with ISO and shutter speed when needed but mostly its just the top knob getting messed with.

I would really suggest doing several test shoots before you go out and try to film anything of real worth. Because chances are, it wont all work like you want it the first time. Or the second or the fourth either.

This is a clip of me holding my a6000 in one hand and a gopro 2 in my other....GP got the better footage that day...plain and simple...

I use the camera on land all day long, but UW everything changes. Plus its kind of tough because you have to have the viewfinder somewhat close to your face in order to see the screen. This is my only issue with case, but its really not the cases fault. Every underwater housing has this issue. For what it is, its freaking perfect.

I need to buy another housing, and drill some holes in it so I can add a waterproof HDMI monitor on the shoe mount....that'll likely be my chrumus gift to myself. Those monitors are NOT cheap, luckily i have a good friend with a few of them that will lend me one till i sell my kidney to be able to afford one...
Old 10-25-2015, 11:30 PM   #19
Scottyp

Good luck with the monitor addition, tell me how it works out, I'm interested in doing that too.
Scottyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:59 AM   #20
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Couple pics from yesterdays tour with this Meikon housing and a6000... these are just crappy screen shots from the video.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #21
ny_er

I was just in Baja for a month and girlfriend had just gotten a6000 with the meikon housing and dome

It takes great photos for cheap, but we had some issues

We floooded the dome, which does not effect the camera and is supposedly fixable, going to sit down with it today and look at it

We also had a I think a bad memory card, which i originally thought might have been a camera malfunction

We found this bait ball with sea lions and fish charging though it, Cat took hundreds of photos and when we got home they were not readable, we thought the camera messed up and over heated or something but now we think it is the memory card

The wet lens is kind of a pain in the ass when you are going drifts and get air in it everytime you take it out of the water

If you keep the camera pointing down, you can keep air out of it

The threads on the lens are suspect and I can see them wearing out

of course the lens is $150, and when you drop it like I did it doesn't seem like a big deal
Old 11-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #22
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Just a thought Ben, but what if we closed off the drain/fill holes on the dome and kept the water in throughout the duration of the dive?

Im going to try this today and see if i can get a free minuet or two to test it out.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #23
ny_er

some photos with the setup