Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 438 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #766
Edward_Anderson

Re: California Dive Boats -- the legend of Radon (pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsurfer View Post
Just came across this 21ftr on craigslist, looks like a turnkey rig if anyone was looking. I dig the walk around pilothouse setup on this thing.

Also, has anyone out there replaced a bravo 2 with a bravo 3, if so what did you see as the differences in the two? I'll be doing this next week to my Radon since my B2 lower unit is toast. anyone looking for a stainless prop for a bravo 2 (19 pitch i think) i'll be getting rid of mine shortly.

The upper unit and transom shield are the same for all the bravo's. Should just be a gasket or 2 and turning some 11/16's wrenches. you're going to need a different kelp cutter though.
Edward_Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #767
sbsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_Anderson View Post
The upper unit and transom shield are the same for all the bravo's. Should just be a gasket or 2 and turning some 11/16's wrenches. you're going to need a different kelp cutter though.
Thanks Ed, I was curious about the performance difference between the two for those who have run both drives. I already hit up Henry for the cutter. I still want to meet up with ya for those stainless racks on my swimstep.
sbsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #768
Edward_Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsurfer View Post
Thanks Ed, I was curious about the performance difference between the two for those who have run both drives. I already hit up Henry for the cutter. I still want to meet up with ya for those stainless racks on my swimstep.
I've only seen better performance with the Bravo III over the Bravo II in the speed ranges we tend to run. Your low end hole shot is going to improve, but you low speed handling is going to be different. It took some practice the first time I got behind the wheel on a III.

I'm going to be back in about a week and a half, I'll give you a call and we can get together and get those things going.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #769
sbsurfer

Quote:
I've only seen better performance with the Bravo III over the Bravo II in the speed ranges we tend to run. Your low end hole shot is going to improve, but you low speed handling is going to be different. It took some practice the first time I got behind the wheel on a III.

I'm going to be back in about a week and a half, I'll give you a call and we can get together and get those things going.
That seems to be the consensus i am getting from everyone i talk to. I'm wondering about that low speed handling because i already love the way the boat handles when going slow if the conditions force that...i guess i'll find out next week when the new B3 lower goes on.

Definitely give me a ring when you get back in town, i think the racks on the swim step will be a sweet addition to the boat.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #770
Mahtzo
Shh

I've got a question,
when glassing corners like you get on the edge of plywood, how do you get the cloth to lay down without air bubbles? Do you use mat or something on the edge?

thanks,
Louis
Mahtzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #771
Edward_Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahtzo View Post
I've got a question,
when glassing corners like you get on the edge of plywood, how do you get the cloth to lay down without air bubbles? Do you use mat or something on the edge?

thanks,
Louis
For an inside corner, you need to use putty and make a fillet. For an outside corner, use the biggest router bit you can run, and cut the glass to within about an inch extra around the part. That and patience, lots of it.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #772
toptuna

what do you guys think of Stringaris????
Old 08-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #773
olekils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahtzo View Post
I've got a question,

thanks,
Louis
Hi Louis,
Having the cloth lay down around a sharp corner can be tricky. The obvious solution is to prevent tight corners by making rounds (outside) and fillets (inside). You can make a nice inside fillet on complex parts using a tennis ball.

You can also add a little bit of fumed silica or microbaloons to the resin to make it a little bit thicker which helps make your resin more sticky and also helps air from pulling through the cloth. This can be done in stages, where you can put some thickened resin on first, then start your layup, and continue with normal resin past your first layer. Keep in mind that adding thickening agents will usually make your resin react faster than normal.

Another good technique is to buy some peel ply and use it as the last (outside) layer. Like the thickening agents, it also makes it more difficult for air to pull through the glass preventing bubbles. Peel ply is really useful stuff as it pulls off when the laminate is cured, leaving a nice, smooth surface, reducing finishing work.

If you can't be bothered to get peel ply, or if you have a really tricky area, try using kitchen-type Saran wrap. The stuff works really well if you stick it on as the last layer starting from the center to the edge. As it's clear, you can carefully work bubbles out to the sides and no air will pull back through. Wait until your resin is hard and it usually pulls right off.

Then, if you really want to get into it, get a vacuum pump, but that's another whole discussion and there are probably better threads for it.

Have fun!

Ole
olekils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #774
Mahtzo
Shh

thanks Ed and Ole, I got the inside corner (but I never would have thought about the ball tip...thanks). (just like glassing fins on a surfboard), but outside corners are my problem. Ed, when you say use a router, do you mean to round off the edges of the wood (like the rails of a surfboard) and glass in the same way? I have seen square (or almost square) edges (and with great difficulty have done some myself) and would like to know what to do. I guess another alternative on thin ply would be to use a router like you said to round off and use multiple layers of lighter cloth? (that's pretty much what you mean right?)

I am hoping to make a pilot house for my boat and will be able to radius the 3 leading edges but the 3 in the aft portion of the pilot house will be a single piece of relatively thin plywood.

Thank you in advance. your patience and expertise is appreciated.
Louis Rosales

Last edited by Mahtzo; 08-20-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Mahtzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #775
sbsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptuna View Post
what do you guys think of Stringaris????
I've seen a couple rebuilds on bloodydecks that came out really nice. They seem like very tough skiffs, built well... but i guess the true test is how the handle when on the water and i can't comment on that since i've never been on one.

Last edited by sbsurfer; 08-20-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #776
starbright55

skiiff, is this you?

If so, looked like an awesome trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skiff.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	177475  
starbright55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #777
skiff

SB55-No, not me; that looks like the bow of Ed's bitchen Greenough 21? Looks like a fantastic day. Up in SF Bay right now, working The boat at the America's Cup. Millions of dollars worth of expensive RHIB's up here, but they still dig the SB dive boat design!
skiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #778
Edward_Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbright55 View Post
skiiff, is this you?

If so, looked like an awesome trip.
That's my Greenough 21, I lent it out for Paddle2Live 2012. A good friend of mine took 6 or 8 teenagers out and they paddled, surfed, fished and dove their way from Point Conception to Newport Beach via the channel islands. I wish I could have gone.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #779
starbright55

Quote:
That's my Greenough 21, I lent it out for Paddle2Live 2012. A good friend of mine took 6 or 8 teenagers out and they paddled, surfed, fished and dove their way from Point Conception to Newport Beach via the channel islands. I wish I could have gone.
Looks like they had great conditions and that they had some fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ed1.JPG
Views:	531
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	177517  
starbright55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #780
Adam Sachs
Lenguado fresco

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbright55 View Post
Looks like they had great conditions and that they had some fun!
Looks like fun! Did they have to get a special permit to run the PWC inside the sanctuary?
Adam Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote