Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 07-25-2018, 11:52 PM   #31
kodama

Re: Carbon bulbous body barrels

It is all carbon fiber so there is not that much mass to speak of I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:18 AM   #32
Andrew Makely

I am not an engineer but in relation to the rest of the barrel of the gun there is definitely significantly more mass toward the rear of the gun. And water pressure exerted against the rear has to be greater than the front.
Andrew Makely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:54 AM   #33
kodama

The mass in a speargun you are looking for is weight. This weight helps to mitigate recoil. I can see how a cuttlefish shape could help in balance or maybe even hydrodynamics but in this case it will do little to mitigate recoil.

Of course it looks good and it sells...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:38 AM   #34
Andrew Makely

I see what you are saying but the question is more about how the shape helps movement of the gun through the water. Also, there are other factors however that could aid in helping recoil. If you think of a carbon fiber paddle- its very light. if you turn it sideways and pull it through the water it moves easily, however if you turn it forward the way it is supposed to be used it takes much more effort to move. I am just curious how this strange and unique shape effects movement of this gun through the water. Does the mass in the rear make the tip light and track very easily? Does it pivot faster than other guns because of this? I don't know I am just curious.
Andrew Makely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #35
Behslayer

The Mass you are looking for is Mass. Then this mass is counterbalanced with Weight the entire Mass has a Specific Gravity close to that of Salt Water. Shape can also effect Recoil in a few ways. Shape can get your bands higher and more inline with your shaft and handle. Shape can offer resistance to Muzzle flip. Shape can cause differences in balance which can then be offset with weight.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote