Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 07-25-2018, 11:52 PM   #31
kodama

Re: Carbon bulbous body barrels

It is all carbon fiber so there is not that much mass to speak of I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:18 AM   #32
Andrew Makely

I am not an engineer but in relation to the rest of the barrel of the gun there is definitely significantly more mass toward the rear of the gun. And water pressure exerted against the rear has to be greater than the front.
Andrew Makely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:54 AM   #33
kodama

The mass in a speargun you are looking for is weight. This weight helps to mitigate recoil. I can see how a cuttlefish shape could help in balance or maybe even hydrodynamics but in this case it will do little to mitigate recoil.

Of course it looks good and it sells...

kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:38 AM   #34
Andrew Makely

I see what you are saying but the question is more about how the shape helps movement of the gun through the water. Also, there are other factors however that could aid in helping recoil. If you think of a carbon fiber paddle- its very light. if you turn it sideways and pull it through the water it moves easily, however if you turn it forward the way it is supposed to be used it takes much more effort to move. I am just curious how this strange and unique shape effects movement of this gun through the water. Does the mass in the rear make the tip light and track very easily? Does it pivot faster than other guns because of this? I don't know I am just curious.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #35
Behslayer

The Mass you are looking for is Mass. Then this mass is counterbalanced with Weight the entire Mass has a Specific Gravity close to that of Salt Water. Shape can also effect Recoil in a few ways. Shape can get your bands higher and more inline with your shaft and handle. Shape can offer resistance to Muzzle flip. Shape can cause differences in balance which can then be offset with weight.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:12 PM   #36
popgun pete

Just looking at the Carbon C4 website and notice that the "Mr Dark" model has disappeared and maybe another one as well as from memory there were four, maybe the "Joker" was the other one. So what has happened as I must have missed some announcement elsewhere? Just noticed that the "Mr Dark" is still on the USA Carbon C4 website, but not the parent Italian website.

The "Mr Dark" certainly is an extreme, but intelligent design, however I always think of it as a very long necked mandolin just waiting to be strung. It would be disappointing for it to disappear solely because it looked a bit weird, however I have never met anyone who owned one. Different story for the other C4 guns right back to when they had the gritty looking fat handles that seemed a bit agricultural for such an expensive gun.

Last edited by popgun pete; 03-29-2019 at 10:45 PM.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:58 AM   #37
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
It is all carbon fiber so there is not that much mass to speak of I think.

Well, you have to take into account volume, too... Let's assume all guns are more or less neutral in the water then it doesn't matter if they are made of alu, wood, lead, paper or CF. If we play a bit of simplified Archimedes, then the total mass will be be equal to the volume of the displacement. In other words, a neutral gun that has a volume of, say, 2.5l will weigh 2.5kg no matter what material it is made of (in fresh water and a bit simplified and all that;-)).
Thus the more curvy C4 guns are not lightweights at all. I can't cut one up, so I don't know how thick the laminate is but from feel and knocking it is thick. But perhaps they have lead in them, too. If all the mass in a C4 comes from the laminate they sure are using a lot of CF which is why I tend to think they are filled with something else, too.
My own personal speculation is that perhaps they have some lead at the very back to make up for the thin front? So, the fat tummy keeps the buoyancy correct and works a bit as a pivot point while the heavy rear keeps the gun's fore and aft balance? But as said, pure, pure speculation. Would love to know, though.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 03-30-2019 at 02:13 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:19 PM   #38
popgun pete

The "Mr Dark" is a speargun that could only be fabricated relatively easily in carbon fiber, so here the material choice plays to its strengths. It is basically a skinny gun with a football shaped belly and the reel sits inside its flow shadow except for the traverse. When I first saw one it seemed to be a "shot in the dark" as looking so strange was anyone really going to buy it? Plus transporting it might be a headache as the big fat belly is at odds with a slim gun everywhere else. Also one could be the butt of cruel jokes such a "I saw a guy diving with a gun that looked like a frozen turkey and a broom handle in black plastic garbage wrap".

Looks like "Mr Dark" and the "Joker" have been the victims of production cuts if sales were not as anticipated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr dark all views.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	242002  

Last edited by popgun pete; 03-31-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:56 PM   #39
Andrew Makely

Apperently Spetton/C4 moved the production to a different facility. It is supposed to go back in production in a few months. That is at least what i have been told.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:58 PM   #40
Andrew Makely

I am going to get one sooner or later.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:44 AM   #41
spearq8

I have shot the Dr. Dark ... it is weird as hell but it shoots very well and is surprisingly not difficult to swim with.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:31 AM   #42
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
I have shot the Dr. Dark ... it is weird as hell but it shoots very well and is surprisingly not difficult to swim with.
I would think that the aim was to create a hydrodynamic gun form unlike anything that had been seen before and in that respect it is in my view a masterpiece of functional design built entirely for the fluid forces that will be acting upon it as the diver swims and traverses with it.