Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-29-2018, 11:35 PM   #46
spearq8

Re: Roller Spearguns - whats the fuss about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Makely View Post
Obviously you only handled it in the pool but any thoughts about how the shape would help or hinder tracking fish in a real world situation with current, swell, etc?
Oh ... I have used the Urukay 120 for spearfishing many times. In its modified setup that I have, it performs very close to my older Albacore 120 with 3 x 14.7mm bands and an 8.5m shaft. This would be a perfect gun for shooting large pelagics at distance. I haven't used it for a long while as I have an Albacore 130 (modified) that I now use anytime I hunt large pelagics. This is an Albacore 130 that has about 10cm more band stretch on 3 bands and has an Ermessub double roller trigger. This is a gun that can shoot flat and accurate all the way to 8 meters while pulling cable and can still easily pass the Tuna Penetration Test at that distance. I can aim at the top edge of an orange sized target at 0 meters and hit it and use the same aim point and still end up hitting the same target at 8 meters (bottom of it) without any compensation for shaft drop. Nothing comes close to that type of performance and this is only with 3 quick loading thin bands. You can see test of this modified Albacore 130 here

As for the Dark ... I only used it in the pool and it seemed to handle well. The belly seems ridiculously large and I think in high current it might be a PIA. In its default setup it is not a gun I would recommend ... but as things are with many guns you should not be stuck with the default setup and you need to change a few things. My friend who uses it is a spearfishing safari guide and hunts pelagics all over the world. He really likes, so that should say something. I will say that in the pool though, the setup he used was similar in power to my customized Pathos 90 with 2 x 14mm bands. I think with his spearfishing ability any gun would work for him, and he just loved that the gun shot so accurate and was willing to sacrifice power. Personally I think it is possible to get power and accuracy in one package ... you just have to mod the handle and adjust the muzzle.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #47
kodama

Roller Spearguns - whats the fuss about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
. I can aim at the top edge of an orange sized target at 0 meters and hit it and use the same aim point and still end up hitting the same target at 8 meters (bottom of it) without any compensation for shaft drop.

How large is the target a size of an orange? So letís say the orange is about 10cm. If I understand correctly you have a shaft drop of 100mm @ 8meters distance?

It is good to put some numbers to it so I know what to aim for once I get in the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kodama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:33 PM   #48
Behslayer

Are we still talking about Classic Band Guns even in this thread?

Where's the Roller Tests? Carbonia, Alemanni, Roisub, Mr Joints, etc.. if you're listening, could we please see some of the newest tests at ranges 8mtrs and +?
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:07 PM   #49
Nix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Are we still talking about Classic Band Guns even in this thread?

Where's the Roller Tests? Carbonia, Alemanni, Roisub, Mr Joints, etc.. if you're listening, could we please see some of the newest tests at ranges 8mtrs and +?
It would be really interesting if a comparison could be done somehow across a few of these good one. Maybe add Gladiator add Petar Pan. It's surprising that the inverted rollers are not more utilized. The physics definitely makes more sense than the standard rollers.

Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:23 PM   #50
Marco

Are there any real life videos of that Albacore in action? I mean, with swimming fish.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:37 AM   #51
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

would LOVE to see any of the rollers Jon mentions in the pool. But especially the big Vela!

Satdiver - youíve teased us numerous times re pool footage

Kon? 2fishin2? Címon Vela owners, someone take the big girl for a spin in the pool, fire off a dozen rounds at any old 8 metre target with the goPro rolling
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:52 AM   #52
Behslayer

Seriously.. Yes. Peter Pan. Yes Nevin. Give us something to talk about.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:20 AM   #53
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Are there any real life videos of that Albacore in action? I mean, with swimming fish.

With that albacore I have caught several Dogtooth Tuna, Yellow Fin Tuna, Giant Trevale, Spotted Trevale on one single trip in about a 4 hour period. We eventually stopped spearfishing because there we ran of place to put fish in the boat. I think if I would post about that trip it would have more to do about the amazing location rather how well the gun performed.

Look ... I understand that for some people shooting targets in a pool using static metrics has no value. But I would say that by far the biggest jump in speargun performance has come from these tests. The metrics test accuracy, shaft drop and shaft penetration on target. The distances are exact and the penetration testing media is repeatable. If you would use shooting fish as a metric it would be difficult to be sure what the distance was, also penetration would be hard to judge as if you hit bone it would be different than if you hit soft belly ... also different fish have different flesh hardness. The angle you shoot a fish also has an affect on impact point. While a video of shooting fish might have much higher entertainment value, it does not provide much useful information with speargun performance.

As for rollers ... I think we need to separate rollers into two categories. Simple rollers and Invert rollers. Many consider them the same but they are completely different categories. Lately it seems that invert rollers are taking over the simple rollers, and that probably is because they perform better. It would be great if more static testing could be done to actually gauge performance and what advantages a certain system has over the other. I am thinking of setting up a pipe gun barrel at about 110 (widely seen as the optimum length of a roller) and have it set as a classic setup then a roller setup and then an inverse roller setup. All these setups would be tuned to the maximum possible setting using the best materials available today. While it would not test all possible scenarios and all possible roller setups, it should give some good data. The idea would be to test 3 different shaft diameters 7mm, 7.5mm and 8mm. It would be a long project but I think it would provide useful data.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:31 AM   #54
Nix

Quote:
With that albacore I have caught several Dogtooth Tuna, Yellow Fin Tuna, Giant Trevale, Spotted Trevale on one single trip in about a 4 hour period. We eventually stopped spearfishing because there we ran of place to put fish in the boat. I think if I would post about that trip it would have more to do about the amazing location rather how well the gun performed.

Look ... I understand that for some people shooting targets in a pool using static metrics has no value. But I would say that by far the biggest jump in speargun performance has come from these tests. The metrics test accuracy, shaft drop and shaft penetration on target. The distances are exact and the penetration testing media is repeatable. If you would use shooting fish as a metric it would be difficult to be sure what the distance was, also penetration would be hard to judge as if you hit bone it would be different than if you hit soft belly ... also different fish have different flesh hardness. The angle you shoot a fish also has an affect on impact point. While a video of shooting fish might have much higher entertainment value, it does not provide much useful information with speargun performance.

As for rollers ... I think we need to separate rollers into two categories. Simple rollers and Invert rollers. Many consider them the same but they are completely different categories. Lately it seems that invert rollers are taking over the simple rollers, and that probably is because they perform better. It would be great if more static testing could be done to actually gauge performance and what advantages a certain system has over the other. I am thinking of setting up a pipe gun barrel at about 110 (widely seen as the optimum length of a roller) and have it set as a classic setup then a roller setup and then an inverse roller setup. All these setups would be tuned to the maximum possible setting using the best materials available today. While it would not test all possible scenarios and all possible roller setups, it should give some good data. The idea would be to test 3 different shaft diameters 7mm, 7.5mm and 8mm. It would be a long project but I think it would provide useful data.
I would definitely look forward to the test. It would be great if a test could be done of inverted rollers with an without booster bands. I'd guess the booster bands definitely help when the shaft diameter goes up but we need the testing

Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:30 AM   #55
deanmc
FII Professional

Quote:

I am thinking of setting up a pipe gun barrel at about 110 (widely seen as the optimum length of a roller) and have it set as a classic setup then a roller setup and then an inverse roller setup. All these setups would be tuned to the maximum possible setting using the best materials available today. While it would not test all possible scenarios and all possible roller setups, it should give some good data. The idea would be to test 3 different shaft diameters 7mm, 7.5mm and 8mm. It would be a long project but I think it would provide useful data.

I'd love to see this test as well.
deanmc is offline   Reply With Quote