Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 06-30-2017, 06:52 AM   #16
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

Re: The Lost Boys... another Monobloc production

Damn good job!
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:00 AM   #17
Dr.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
helluva sexy tool for putting dinner on the table nice work Dr P, love the use of that limited real estate. thanks for sharing!

is that 5/16" Mori shaft? loading tab not needed?
Thanks! They are vey efficient for the length.

It is a 5/16 More shaft, good eye. I have honestly never used anything but 5/16, it's what I grew up using. Most people will say I should use a smaller diameter shaft, but I don't really care, my guns . I've been using this Mori shaft forever, no bends, and I've taken some big fish with it. It shoots accurately and with more power than I need for this gun with only 1 band. ...I have no complaints.

I'm surprised no one has flamed me for the shaft, but especially because I run it with a slip tip on a gun this short sometimes (don't get me wrong, I usually use a flopper shaft). HOWEVER, my main target on a daily basis are medium sized snapper and I've found that those little ninjas will tear through their own bodies to escape. I loose fewer snapper with the slip tip because they can't get the leverage they need to tear off, and it's just kind of fun to mess around with.
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #18
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

thanks for the feedback! all the thought gone into this and your prev builds, serious design progress! I imagine it's some effective therapy too

single band 7mm shaft woody is my next build, needless to say be some design cues from your Lost Boys! I dont envisage integrating handle as elegantly as you did, but great cues. will also be fitting in Ermes dbl roller long mech, which may make the mech area a little beefier, but got that mech on both my 2 and 3 band guns now, and once you've gone dbl roller there no goin back

just need to muck around with trigger guard shape so fully enclosed but without impeding natural grip for middle finger. or index finger trigger reach. In your pics looks like if trigger guard extended back to the grip, middle finger would be ABOVE the guard. have to have a play round with that. dont need a lot of steel back there, just enough to hold shape when floatline gets wrapped up
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:48 PM   #19
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Dr P - any chance of seeing side view of muzzle on your one- and two-band guns?

Curious as to what shape you ended up with to get the front of the muzzle that streamlined without going steel.

Am working with wood similar hardness and workability to padauk
Old 09-09-2017, 07:30 PM   #20
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Dr P, the deeper V stock profile for'd of the trigger on your Lost Boys, is that to improve vertical swing?

I've generally gone with the flatter oval profile, thinking to achieve maximum mass in that critical area with minimum drag [flattened oval profile] side to side

just wondering the reasoning for going with the deeper stock?
Old 09-09-2017, 09:20 PM   #21
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Just speculating - coz I have been wondering about the same - but the deeper V could be dictated by the original board thickness. I think Dr. P kept the gun stock almost as wide as he could given the board thickness. So, to get enough buoyancy out ot the heavy padauk perhaps he had to extend the gun in that direction instead of the more traditional oval shape?

Dr. P - awesome work and can relate to the part about the gun build having a therapeutic function, too. Hope all is good
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #22
Dr.P

Both are correct. I find the gun pivots nicely around a thicker depth near the handle - like having a reel on the gun - and I also needed the buoyancy. There are different ways this could be accomplished, but this rough shape has worked well for me. In fact, maybe hard to tell but I shaped this in, what I'll coin, a reverse cuttle shape. Thick at the muzzle to align the bands and give the needed buoyancy in the front and thick at the handle for strength and easy loading. In between is tapered, very thin, and very comfortable in the hand.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:20 PM   #23
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

any chance of posting a shot with hand on trigger of one of yr Lost Boys Dr P?

as you’ve mentioned, taking handle up really high introduces even more variables to the existing mix of angles, rotation, trigger height, thumb height. especially with a new mech

it’s a great learning curve, but there’s a point where need to lock down some of those variables, so can actually finish a stock, get the bloody thing in the water, and retrain your brain to aim thru those new angles

I suspect that was actually Majd's real reason behind sheathing those Abellans of his, to stop yrself continually bloody tinkering with em

Granted, really optimised handle config is always going to be pretty unique to that person, but am really interested to see where your thumb has ended up. thanks!

BTW, treated myself to a cordless Dremel 8220. what a bloody great tool for carving guns! just need to pick up a spare battery and i can do all this stuff sitting under a tree on the beach
Old 10-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #24
Dr.P

Quote:
any chance of posting a shot with hand on trigger of one of yr Lost Boys Dr P?

as you’ve mentioned, taking handle up really high introduces even more variables to the existing mix of angles, rotation, trigger height, thumb height. especially with a new mech

it’s a great learning curve, but there’s a point where need to lock down some of those variables, so can actually finish a stock, get the bloody thing in the water, and retrain your brain to aim thru those new angles

I suspect that was actually Majd's real reason behind sheathing those Abellans of his, to stop yrself continually bloody tinkering with em

Granted, really optimised handle config is always going to be pretty unique to that person, but am really interested to see where your thumb has ended up. thanks!

BTW, treated myself to a cordless Dremel 8220. what a bloody great tool for carving guns! just need to pick up a spare battery and i can do all this stuff sitting under a tree on the beach
I’ll post One first chance I get.

The double roller trigger is a freaking disaster of a design for trying to get a truly high handle. I got one on par with what I can quickly do with the neptonics reverse, but it took so much work I never want to do it again.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:28 PM   #25
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

thanks!

the Ermes mech plays nice with Abellan-style handle and plate, if you secure the rear of the mech thru to the plate [rather than leaving enough wood to hold screw securely] it allows you to bring the hand up a fair way, with a nice downward angle to drop trigger finger. I've dremeled out the underside of the stock a bit also, to allow thumb to sit up nice and high, a more natural orientation for me
But I havent yet managed to work out a good configuration with that mech for your behind-the-mech integrated approach, despite letting the OCD and new Dremel loose on a few practice stocks
Old 10-07-2017, 12:05 AM   #26
Dr.P

Quote:
thanks!

the Ermes mech plays nice with Abellan-style handle and plate, if you secure the rear of the mech thru to the plate [rather than leaving enough wood to hold screw securely] it allows you to bring the hand up a fair way, with a nice downward angle to drop trigger finger. I've dremeled out the underside of the stock a bit also, to allow thumb to sit up nice and high, a more natural orientation for me
But I havent yet managed to work out a good configuration with that mech for your behind-the-mech integrated approach, despite letting the OCD and new Dremel loose on a few practice stocks
Sort of... but not really. I’ll explain what I mean at some point. The abellan handle is not what I’d really consider a high handle anymore. It looks nice but the mechs sits up real high and the handle actually hangs off pretty low. If you really want to align the handle, shaft, and bands, the double roller is starting to look like a really tough sell to me. ...more on this with pictures to come later.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:10 AM   #27
spearq8

The last Abellan models ... Albacore and Denton ... there was a change to the handle that I really did not like. There was additional wood added to the sides of the back of the gun that completely blocks your thumb bridge and doesn't allow you to push the handle up high. It looks that the new teak model has the same thing ... hopefully this will change. I dremelled out all the side wood and carved a place for my hand to move way up. This does remove a lot of wood and even with the SS plate, I felt more comfortable reinforcing the wood with Carbon Fiber. I guess you could shave off a couple extra mm and get your hand even higher up ... but then reinforcing that back area really becomes critical and you need to make sure you have that covered. I also sunk the trigger in the stock where it is almost flat on top. For sure there are ways to improve on that ... but really even with an 8.5mm @ 170cm shooting a full power load ... recoil is completely controllable and I had zero left shift. This was true for other people that shot the gun. The nice thing with the Abellan is that it has a very short palm to trigger distance, and even with hand rotation and moving hand way up, the trigger can still be easily reached allowing you to really shape the handle perfectly.

The main point is to reduce any leverage that recoil has on the shaft as it is existing. Anything you can do to improve how stable the shaft exits the track is an advantage. Cutting the leverage to an absolute minimum means an improved shaft stability and improved energy release into shaft velocity. A stable shaft is a shaft that will fly dead straight with no oscillations and thus will be able to retain its velocity much better with distance. Another nice byproduct of good shaft stability is accuracy at a level that just a few years ago was thought impossible.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #28
Behslayer

Dr. P,

Could you just cut off the Wings and Tail and use the back Pin Hole and front what looks like a mounting hold and drop that thing into it's papoose?
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #29
Dr.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Dr. P,

Could you just cut off the Wings and Tail and use the back Pin Hole and front what looks like a mounting hold and drop that thing into it's papoose?
I don’t so much mind the wings, it’s the tail that really really ruins things. Also, it has 3 different points that you have to level perfectly (the tail height, the bottom of the mech, and the wing height (x2 wings) to get the mech to sit just right. This thing was clearly made for people who produce pop outs of out a computer. For real hand made guns it’s a nightmare. I’m also pretty obsessive compulsive so maybe it’s just my high tolerance level.

God I hate that tail thought. Disaster.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:43 PM   #30
Dr.P

...it also depends on how you use the mech too. I suspect most will just stick it on top of the gun like the abellan. I’m actually sinking it into the handle so that I can align the handle and shaft. Big difference in technical difficulty....