Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-07-2020, 07:22 AM   #1
Hpwatson

Roller gun rubber storage

I've been wondering if leaving roller guns stored with the rubber tensioned underneath can cause the band to lose stretch over time. Even if the band is only pretensioned a little bit, it seems like leaving it stretched a little bit for a long time can make the band lose its snap or lose some performance. Do any roller gun users out there store the band unhooked underneath or do you not bother?
Hpwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:31 AM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Roller gun rubber storage

Rubber under tension will deteriorate as it is then more susceptible to attack by oxygen in the air, this is why rubber folded with sharp bends cracks at the outside of any bend. When the gun is being stored for months it is best to remove any tension from the bands. During a trip you need not bother as you will be using the gun most days. The same deterioration occurs where bands are necked down by ties or wedding band rings, but that tension is unavoidable and bands break down there first. Rubber bungees break down for the same reason if left under tension on the gun, i.e. with the shooting line strung in storage. It is best to store your gun with the spear removed on open muzzle guns.

One way to transport an open muzzle gun so that the spear does not fall off is to secure the spear near the muzzle with a plastic zip-lock band which once you have arrived you simply cut off to free the shaft for use.

Last edited by popgun pete; 03-07-2020 at 03:39 PM. Reason: extra comment
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
Hpwatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Rubber under tension will deteriorate as it is then more susceptible to attack by oxygen in the air, this is why rubber folded with sharp bends cracks at the outside of any bend. When the gun is being stored for months it is best to remove any tension from the bands. During a trip you need not bother as you will be using the gun most days. The same deterioration occurs where bands are necked down by ties or wedding band rings, but that tension is unavoidable and bands break down there first. Rubber bungees break down for the same reason if left under tension on the gun, i.e. with the shooting line strung in storage. It is best to store your gun with the spear removed on open muzzle guns.

One way to transport an open muzzle gun so that the spear does not fall off is to secure the spear near the muzzle with a plastic zip-lock band which once you have arrived you simply cut off to free the shaft for use.
Yeah that's what I expected, great input thanks Pete
Hpwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:51 PM   #4
Marco

I store my rollers without any tension on the bands. It's obvious that they will deteriorate if stored tensioned.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote