Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Announcements and Rules > Spearboard Announcements and Rules

Spearboard Announcements and Rules Check here for annoucements on things that would interest spearfishermen, including seminars or other events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 88 votes, 2.76 average. Display Modes
Old 09-20-2006, 08:08 PM   #46
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy
Re: Welcome Lurkers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McQuiston
Hello. I'm Pat, long time spearo, short time lurker. I think it's easier to get to the bottom of 130fsw and shoot fish in the head or sweetspot in the tail for AJs, than to post for the first time. Looking forward to meeting and diving with most of you.
Glad you figured it out. Welcome to the board! We are expecting many trip reports now!
Old 09-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #47
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McQuiston
Hello. I'm Pat, long time spearo, short time lurker. I think it's easier to get to the bottom of 130fsw and shoot fish in the head or sweetspot in the tail for AJs, than to post for the first time. Looking forward to meeting and diving with most of you.

Welcome Pat!

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:38 AM   #48
nyTroX

New owner?? WTH? I guess i've been busy being a Dad to my new daughter...

BTW, Congrats, seaweed27 on your (notso) new baby!!
nyTroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:44 AM   #49
Seahuntress
The Spinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhed
I have to say to all lurkers, Spearboard is not only a wealth of knowledge for the sport of spearing fish but a huge bank of good people most of which will reach out to newbies and take them under their wing. you give respect and you will get the same in return. I have been on here awhile now and have to say there are so many good people on here that have helped me in many aspects of diving and spearing and I have met so many nice people that have had me along on their boats for awesome trips that simply would not have happened if not for this place. Why wait to sign up it costs nothing and they do not send you any email.
Andy

Respect? I don't know about that! Well, they have put up with me this long. Its a great board!! The locker room does get a little rough sometimes, and Zany. But it is freedom of speech.

Now if you visit Texas you'll get an awesome trip to the Deepblue. CTFREEDIVER from CT. made it to Houston Happy Hour, and we took him out in style, on the 53 ft Viking Saturday. I'm sure you'll get some great reports when he gets back to CT. Southern Hospitality We have some great men here in Texas. And a few good lady's too.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:45 AM   #50
axline

Hi All lurkers,

If you like to spearhunting in Turkey I will wait you friends
axline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:38 AM   #51
SpeerO

I finally decided to stop lurking... im registered now

Zane...
SpeerO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #52
Tim Hatler
Spearboard Sponsor

PALAPAS VENTANA - BAJA

Hello System administrator --I wish to post the following job ad but am getting denied in posting a new thread - can you help?

SPEARFISHING GUIDE and DIVEMASTER JOB in BAJA

Where: Palapas Ventana in southern Baja near La Paz. We are a small bed and breakfast geared at SCUBA, snorkeling, spearfishing, kayaking, sailing, Mexican cultural experiences, education groups, and fun. See www.palapasventana.com

When: May – September (flexible). Option to stay longer

Job Description: Lead dives, teach some certification classes if you are an instructor (bonus but not mandatory). Help our Local Captain lead spearfishing and fishing excursions. Help with panga and facility maintenance, make espresso drinks, bartend, help clients with kayaks and sailboats. Lead groups of high school students through marine science programs during educational trips. Help run La Paz world Cup Spearfishing tournament logistics.

Pay: Room, ¾ board plus $400 a month + tips and $200 travel stipend. Your expenses while here will be minimal

Qualifications: Divemaster certified, Instructor a plus, working knowledge of spearfishing or willing to learn. Some Spanish, can do attitude with maintenance skills. Sailing and lifeguarding experience a plus.

How to apply: email Tim Hatler at tim@palapasventana.com with a resume and letter of interest or call 011526121140198. Closing date for position is April 30th.
La Ventana, Baja Mexico
tim@palapasventana.com
www.palapasventana.com
310 594 DIVE
Tim Hatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:13 PM   #53
groupergrabber
Get em Stoned

Do you by any chance know of a new scuba shop having a Grand Opening on Drew St.In Clearwater,on May the 5th? With sales from 30 to 40% off, and also having SBO signup.
groupergrabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:50 PM   #54
Richard

An end has finaly arrived to my lurkerness!
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:53 PM   #55
Double Down
Reel Mojo

Welcome aboard Richard!!!
Old 07-25-2007, 08:07 PM   #56
Qdiver911
"Q" is for Quahog!

A lurker....never called that one! Report from Cape Cod, Scusset Beach Jetty, Viz 20+/Ft. Shot my ,limit of Blackfish, biggest 8 lbs. Chuck had three bugs to 3 pounds. Plenty of Huge! Stripers, small pollock, small flounder. A great day in the Cape Cod sun! Flounder Pounder, you missed a great one!
Qdiver911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:50 PM   #57
northwoodsgun

Hello All! New to the Orlando area. Moved down here for work from WI, so needless to say, the spearfishing down here is a whole differen't animal, but in a good way. you can only stay excited about foot and a half long yellow perch for so long..

well lookin forward to meeting some of ya and maybe spending some time diving with ya too!

Thanks,

Ian S. Kincaid
northwoodsgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:34 PM   #58
swimmingbird
Penguin

Send a message via AIM to swimmingbird

Heya all,

Have stopped lurking, was more difficult than i thought.

Advice to those who register: Pick a name that sounds aquatic.

I actually registered twice, as the first name i registered with (ayergo) was never activated by an administrator. If it could be deleted i would appreciate it.
swimmingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:30 PM   #59
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Smile Re: Welcome Lurkers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmingbird View Post
Heya all,

Have stopped lurking, was more difficult than i thought.

Advice to those who register: Pick a name that sounds aquatic.

I actually registered twice, as the first name i registered with (ayergo) was never activated by an administrator. If it could be deleted i would appreciate it.
Welcome to spearboard!

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:21 PM   #60
Guacamole

Enough lookin', time to say hello.. Same post I just put in the General area.. Nice website. After taking our 14 year old son to get certified in scuba this summer in Key West, I have become enamored with all things undersea. Oh and that's our son Eric and pit bull Lucy in the picture.

Live in New Mexico, half the time in the mountains the last 25 years and spent much of the first half of life in and around water. My son and I made 8 dives on the barrier reef off Key West last summer and look forward to going back around spring or summer again. We were fortunate to have an up close encounter with one large hammerhead and 10 other smaller sharks, some rays etc. For my son it was especially great since it was his first time undersea with all the fascination of youth. Let alone all the great food in Key West and the change of climate from the high country we live in. Anyone ever have that fresh coconut bread at Kelly's? WoW..

Stumbled upon Marlin Stepaneks free dive website. It’s like some kind of hypnotism has over me. Lots of dreaming about undersea adventure especially after seeing your website. Hopefully I’ll see more of the underwater world off Florida once again soon. Had a great experience in the 70’s while sailing around Florida on a boat I worked on out of Tampa. Fondly remember rounding Key West one late afternoon in early June 1978 lounging on the bow watching a lone spotted dolphin and seeing the shadow of the boat run across the bottom in very clear water. Then suddenly running back to the depth sounder after seeing the reef in what looked like 10 feet of water, it registered 85 feet. Whoa! Was the water that much clearer in 1978? We stopped over a flat area and did some free diving in 65 feet of water and were able to come up with a handful of sand. It was very cool at the time; I was a kid from Wisconsin 21 years old and full of energy. As fate had it that summer we broke our rudder just south of Miami.

We anchored somewhere north of what was stilt city and I had another very cool free dive, simply going down the anchor rode to the bottom that was still fairly clear and full of life. I’m sure that’s changed by now. But still it was like I’d died and gone to heaven. Later that day we limped into Miami marina and had to stay a few days getting the rudder fixed with some stainless steel plates and a welder bought from Sears loaded into a local taxi. None of us really knew a whole lot about welding. It worked! The dock experience in Miami Marina was a very cool memory of an eclectic crowd. DEA Confiscated cigarette boats, racing sailboats with mostly female crews that made it hard to concentrate and some just re-finished workboats that had way more money than regular work allows?? The last night there we were walking around the area and stumbled upon the band Little Feat playing in an old local theater. What a night that was. What a place back then! 51 now and wondering how to spend more time below the sea and in Florida. That was one great summer thanks to a great man in Tampa St Pete that paid us to take a replica Spanish Galleon up the east coast and into the Great Lakes stopping a lot along the way.

Ah but the Reef off Key West was still beautiful this last summer. I’m glad my son got to see it. Thanks for this website! I like the mountains and the desert out here but you all got it good down there! My son and I do a lot of back packing here in New Mexico, there’s a lot less people and many wilderness areas to explore, yet somehow the oceans are calling me again. Looking forward to learning more here on this great website.

Thanks,

Ray
Guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote