Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2004 Tournament Archives > Spearboard Open Archives 2004 > Spearboard Open Results

Spearboard Open Results Check here for the 2004 Spearboard Open Results

Old 05-28-2004, 07:46 AM   #31
girliegills

Sheri, I would have to 2nd that you provide great inspiration to female spearos and I might add great competition. You kicked my tail in the tournament, I had only 60 points. But I had a great time and I always enjoy the camaraderie that these tournaments provide with fellow spearos. I hope we have more females join us in the future and discover what a great sport spearing really is. Now, all I have to do is try and figure out how to double my points next time so that I have a shot at that female award. Are you diving the Southern Open?
girliegills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:31 AM   #32
Sheri
So Little Time

Girliegills....60 pounds of fish is pretty darn respectable! You go, girl.

Even if someone shot 5 pounds of fish, you can't be too judgemental. I respect someone if they are a beginner, didn't have access to a good boat, don't know good spots in that area, and gave it their best shot anyway. Even if you do have all those factors in your favor, there is a chance the fish won't be there. That's what makes spearfishing very interesting. It's a combination of skill and planning, but you cannot take luck out of the equation either.

I'm thoroughly impressed by Giuseppe. Freediving the Middlegrounds....that takes skill. Usodimare, did you dive also? How did you guys hear about this tournament? Did you know someone with a boat to take you to spots? Did you know it was mainly a scuba tournament? As you know, I was trying to talk to Giuseppe, but he was speaking Italian, and I was answering in Spanish, and the music was so loud. Thanks for translating later. I still didn't understand....is effesub a manufacturer, distributor, sponsor? I know Italians make some wonderful products, especially fins, wetsuits. It was great to meet you and hope you had a good time. The sharks were just trying to make you feel welcome....they were friendly sharks.

I'm not doing the Southern Open, but looking forward to St. Pete Open!
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:48 AM   #33
ROCK BOTTOM

Sheri,

Are you diving the HDR? My wife is curious about the competition.

Stevie Zz
You got to move your ass."

The Radiators
ROCK BOTTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 12:04 PM   #34
usodimare

Hi Sheri.
What Giuseppe did is quite usual in Italian/International Spearfishing competitions, where tanks are not allowed. Giuseppe told me there are people shooting fish below 150 feet!
He is not such a "phisycal power" diver, he is very technical and won a lot of tournaments because he thinks like a fish, and knows how to get them in shallow waters too. He was on Terry Maas old version of Blue Water with his Tuna record (125Kg).
I dove as well but I preferred to use tanks, because I am not trained at all.
We were on Tally Ho, together with the owner Charlie, his friend Les plus the captain Tom, professional Fisherman that knows a lot of spots.
Unfortunately put together freedivers and Scuba divers did not allow Giuseppe to give his best. He managed to convince the Captain to bring him on the spots right for him only at noon, when he really started to bring up fish one after the other.
Effesub is a manufacturer and importer of Diving gear, both scuba and freediveing. Giuseppe designes spearguns, fins and wetsuits for them, plus manages its spearfishing team.
You can log on their website www.effesub.com and see what they do.
I visit Tampa very often and I heard about the tournament from a good friend, Fishboy.
I know the sharks are friendly, they just want to have a meal with you...
usodimare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:52 PM   #35
Sheri
So Little Time

I have seen videos and heard enough about spearfishing in Europe to know that it's normal to freedive to 130 feet. Then you have to lay on the bottom for awhile, real quiet, because you have few and spooky fish over there. For those that don't know, when you're freediving, the fish will actually come look at you if you can lay still for awhile.....curious critters.

Giuseppe did great, especially for not having ideal conditions. You usually need a dedicated boat to be doing that, someone willing to follow you around, protect your head from getting run over, taking fish from you, etc. I imagine he also had to learn the new fish species, their behavior, etc. What do you guys think of our fish? Pretty stupid? It's not that way everywhere in Florida though. The fish where I live (southeast coast) are smarter and less abundant. We seem to have more bullsharks....and they like to eat Italian too. For some reason, we see them more when freediving. Maybe the bubbles keep them away sometimes. Anyway, you guys are welcome to come diving here if it works out during your next trip.

I am not doing the HDR, but it sounds like a blast. Maybe someone can fit me on a boat next year?!?
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote