Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:50 AM   #16
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Re: Travel Float / Bag Stiffener Build

Ahhh yes, the art of vac bags! Thanks for posting this!

Are you de gassing your epoxy before you bag these parts?

I noticed a huge difference in the amount of voids and air bubbles when using a degassing chamber. Sometimes i would use a heat gun to remove air bubbles in clear coats, but this leaves you with much less post care and the need to use less fillers.

On my jet skis, especially below the waterline kind of work air bubbles will cause mold and sludge to slowly eat the bottom of a hull up. Just like mold in a house, the fix the problem, you have to cut it out...
Old 01-27-2017, 07:31 PM   #17
lagfish

It's an artform I'm still grasping with

On the bottom side of the layup, the bag leaked and as a result I lost vacuum. As a result, there were some areas where the layup didn't stick to the plug. I probably also should've used a different twill pattern or maybe even mat around some of the corners. You can see it here:

The other side:

I'm glad I used EPS and not EPS and degassed the core for a day because the foam core will definitely be exposed to water. Time will tell if delamination will be a problem.

By the way, the epoxy was also degassed in a glass jar:

Being hung in the garage for spray painting fluorescent orange:

Next, the hardware will be installed
lagfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #18
lagfish

Stainless steel D-rings were installed for the elastic netting and to clip the backpack straps onto:

Big hole drilled for the dive flag pole mount. A 3/8" eye-bolt through the two pieces is used to attach the float line. An aluminum plate is used to spread out the clamping force of the bolt on the thin fiberglass ontop.

Here is the mount for the dive flag pole, which will is epoxied into the big hole

Here is the flag pole mounted. A shockcord allows the pole to be taken out when transporting but kept together.

Everything on top mounted

Stuff packed in:

In the bag ready to go!

May not be the prettiest but hey, it's not going to space it just needs to float on water.
lagfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:28 AM   #19
phil herranen

Looks good .

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote