Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 05-22-2007, 03:34 PM   #16
OutofBreath
Ocean Cove Baby

Re: Bobcat pics from Fort Ross

Last year I saw a bobcat about that size at ocean cove. They are alot faster tha you think.
OutofBreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:40 PM   #17
matt_petty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutofBreath
Last year I saw a bobcat about that size at ocean cove. They are alot faster tha you think.
Yeah, I know they're super fast. I've seen video of them taking birds out of pretty tall trees. Just rushing them, climbing the tree at full speed and exploding out onto a branch. I might have been tripping but I didn't feel any danger. The cat didn't show any sign of being agitated, worried or threatened. Also it had wide open escape routes and when it wanted to disappear, it was gone in half a second.
matt_petty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #18
Sherpa

Bobcats are awesome creatures........ I didn't know you could actually hunt
them......... with that said;

California desperately needs to re-open mountain lion hunting due to the
severe population losses occurring every year to the deer herds in Calif.

You used to see hundreds of deer over the course of a weekend in high-
elevation camping.......... we barely see any now... something needs to be
done about before too late..... those big cats are killing everything.

--Sherpa
Sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #19
apexpredator
Ace of Spades

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_petty
Quite honestly I'm surprised that you can hunt a bobcat anywhere in the states.
How come? They are the most abundant of all the wild cats in the world. They have a beautiful and luxurious fur desired by many both here and in the international fur market (China and Korea are the biggest consumers of wild fur). While fur is a luxury item here and falling out of favor because of the PETA crowd in many places around the world fur is desired because of it's superior durability to synthetic materials and insulating properties. While bobcat fur is mostly used for the trim trade a bobcat coat is a gorgeous piece of functional clothing. Wild fur is renewable, sustainable and ecologically friendly. BTW fur trading developed the western states of this nation opening up trading routes and discovering new territories. You want to meet folks that understand nature, the animals that inhabit wild places and the overall status of their populations across the land then talk to a trapper or a predator caller....few folks know more. One last fact what instrument was used to capture and propagate the formerly thought of as extinct black footed ferret.....answer padded coil spring foot hold animal traps...the same ones outlawed with misinformation by the antis in Cali and several other places across this land. If they cared about wild animals as much as they care about their fragile emotions then nobody would have to worry about the future of the wild places in this country. With the money PETA throws away on lobbying efforts (nearly all of it) to fight sportsmen and women they could establish natural preserves but protecting nature is not their goal.

BTW I am not slamming your decision to never hunt them. I have taken the ones I wanted and let some walk. My current land outdoor activities (deer and elk bow huting) while they might put me in front of another some day I would likely let them pass and soak up the experience. If I find the time to get in some predator calling I may want another. However, nobody who has seen one would argue that your mind tends to pause as if you had seen a ghost. I totally understand never wanting to hunt one.
"The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise..who spends his days on the mountain and forests..who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst..for the love of nature..to visit the utmost refuge of beast and bird." Pease

Extreme Divers spearfishing club

Last edited by apexpredator; 05-22-2007 at 04:26 PM.
apexpredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:09 PM   #20
Alkilla
Freediving Gangsta

How does bobcat taste???
I never tasted one...
Im guessing like some kind of weird taste to it
Alkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:01 PM   #21
♠█WhitêSëâBà§█♣

haha i doubt anyone would want to eat that thing...maybe someone has done it before, although i wouldn't =o btw nice find...its always nice to see pictures of wild animals...instead of seeing cities and buildings...one day the animals are going to revolt and take over the world...i just know it... =O Most likely cats with lazer beams...><
Old 05-23-2007, 12:59 AM   #22
Alkilla
Freediving Gangsta

Naw the world its goin to END bfor all that
and yeah were all goin to DIE.
But if that day comes when cats rule the world
Im killing my self..lol..so they wont kill me or make me some kind
of slave
Alkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:13 AM   #23
Pither
I Pith

Wed always tell the bait-barge guys they needed one of those to chase off the pelicans.
I once heard of a guy who could cozy up to a tree and call in coyotes with a wounded rabbit call. Apparently he could get them to come in so close that he could poke them with a stick if he was still enough.
Pither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:11 AM   #24
Aircowboy
formerly pilotspear

They are beautiful creatures but they are a pain in the A for us ranchers with livestock and other animals. They have no real predators.

And to the guy saying they need to reopen cougar hunting .........amen to that brother. The cougar population has exploded and deer populations are on a sharp decline in California. These idiots in PETA don't care about hard science. You can't take an animals only predator out of the food chain and not have detrimental effects to the balance of nature.
The cougars are starting to be seen all over the Monterey area and have even been spotted next to elementry school play grounds. My father in law is having a real problem with them on his Ranch. Its like the Abalone population being wiped out constantly because the seal and otter population is way above natural levels.
Aircowboy is offline   Reply With Quote