Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 05-22-2007, 06:51 AM   #1
matt_petty

Bobcat pics from Fort Ross

Hey all,
Post dive on 5-18-07 we were rolling back up past the fort and I thought I spotted a fox in the grass. As I crept the car closer and got out the digicam it turned out to be a bobcat. We got within 15 feet in the car and got to check out the kitty for at least 2 minutes. It got bored and trotted off, never seeming threatened. I've seen mountain lions for a flash and another bobcat in grass that spooked at about 100 yard, but nothing like this. The cat was in the grass directly West of the fort. Keep an eye out.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bobcat_1.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	54797   Click image for larger version

Name:	bobcat_2.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	54798   Click image for larger version

Name:	bobcat_3.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	54799  
matt_petty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
cnoren
Picture coming soon

Re: Bobcat pics from Fort Ross

Wow, very cool pictures. Must have been awesome to see in person.
cnoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
JimmyJam

nice work
JimmyJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
JZumi

Good eye.

We dove Ft Ross that same day and none of us saw a cat. Durn.

John
JZumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
retrosub
Mario Korf

Wow, that's really cool!
Old 05-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
Sebastien

kitty, kitty..... this one is nice but last winter his big brother followed me for 100 yards when I was deer hunting in San Diego County
Sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:05 PM   #7
David Deman
twentytwomonk

Send a message via Yahoo to David Deman

I was laying in bed the other day, when I was woken up by the sound of a mountain lion chasin a family of raccoons up a tree. Dude, raccoons being chased by a mountain make the most disturbing noise I've ever heard, right next to the sound of an IED detonating...
David Deman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:17 PM   #8
ben
fish pimp

Last year I used to see a cat north of fort ross all the time, it never messed with us just watched. I have not seen it this year though, pretty cool if its the same one.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:20 PM   #9
Aircowboy
formerly pilotspear

I have some bobcat tails from a hunt a few years back and no matter where I hide them my cats seem to find them and they are their favorite play toy!! Kind of sick and wrong but oh well.
Aircowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:35 PM   #10
matt_petty

We were thinking that kitty could smell the vegi-Benz's exhaust, 9 abs, 2 cabs (my first) and the ling in the trunk. Deli sandwichs. Slaughter and gluttony. Mmm.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:59 PM   #11
apexpredator
Ace of Spades

That's awesome. I have been bow hunting a pretty long time and all in all I have seen a total of 3 bobcats from my stands. I got arrows off at two of them and harvested just one. Calling them I have had more success. They are really neat critters, very secretive, stealthy and fast. Their noses are the pits but they will not normally tolerate movement. To indian up on one is a incredible feat....Congrats

PS be very careful with wild animals that tolerate your encroachment. With other critters like foxes and raccoons this is usually a sign of an animal with a late stage disease or injury. Either one can change your exciting brush with nature to a trip to the hospital or worse. Wild cats are not known as animals that show a propensity towards rabies infection but that is not the only thing that might make it dangerous to approach one. Animals hit by cars can sometimes lay for hours as they recover consciousness and spring to life in an instant. I have a funny story about a guy who picked up a deer he hit with his car and took to the same guy who processed our deer for us. It woke up in his trunk and the 70 lb doe went to whipping this 200lb mans ass as he tried to extract it from there when he pulled into the cold storages parking lot. The car trunk was a bloody dented mess that looked like someone was playing drums in there with a ball and peen hammer.

PS I did not know your bobcats in Cali were so spotted. In most midwestern states these same spots are more toned down (like a linx) while in the south the edges and intensity of the spots are very pronounced and distinct. Beautiful animal...& great pictures!
"The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise..who spends his days on the mountain and forests..who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst..for the love of nature..to visit the utmost refuge of beast and bird." Pease

Extreme Divers spearfishing club
apexpredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:03 PM   #12
Polystigma
No Bananas!

You should have slayed it. Now it is probably going to attack some small child.
Polystigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:10 PM   #13
apexpredator
Ace of Spades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polystigma
You should have slayed it. Now it is probably going to attack some small child.
Not unless cornered. I have not heard of a single unprovoked attack from bobcat on humans unless you count the ones that have pounced on hunters near turkey decoys, break off from a dog pack or have rushed predator callers by mistake. It is very cool to let something walk if that is your choice...sometimes gives you a much more satisfying feeling than taking it.
"The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise..who spends his days on the mountain and forests..who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst..for the love of nature..to visit the utmost refuge of beast and bird." Pease

Extreme Divers spearfishing club
apexpredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:26 PM   #14
matt_petty

Quite honestly I'm surprised that you can hunt a bobcat anywhere in the states. I'm content to look myself, and I know I couldn't hurt one. Hell, I get mad when they automatically kill these mountain lions that have the nerve to end up in a neighborhood. Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging, just letting you know where I'm coming from.

I took the whole thing as a really good omen. The trip was to get food for my family who came out to see me graduate from Berkeley. The whole weekend was a smash hit. We probably fed 30 people abalone, most of which had never tried it. Lotsa fun.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:33 PM   #15
matt_petty

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexpredator
They are really neat critters, very secretive, stealthy and fast. Their noses are the pits but they will not normally tolerate movement. To indian up on one is a incredible feat....Congrats
We crept up on it in an '84 Mercedes diesel. I couldn't believe it. We had direct eye contact from about 80ft and slowly rolled up to about 15ft. Full blown safari style, minus the Defender 110.