Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
Waiting2Exhale
.....born upon the tide

Seabass closing....again.....earlier

So they have decided to close Seabass down again this year. I might add that this is a month earlier than last year even with a higher rec. quota.

http://safmc.net/LinkClick.aspx?file...A%3d&tabid=139

I just have a hard time, and I mean a REALLY hard time, coming to terms with the fact that if you take an average seabass of 2.5lbs divided by the quota(409,000lbs) that over 106,000 fish were either reported or counted. I have never been solicited for my report nor has anybody I know of. You realize at 5 per person or we'll call it 12lbs/p/p and a high average of 4ppl on a boat so 50lbs/boat that we could collect that much info with so little presence by those claiming we have reached said quota. Okay so if you followed me that means they solicited roughly 8,180 boats for their research.........in three months????? WOW thats gathering trip reports from almost 91 boats a day!!!!!! That's also assuming that all 90 days of our most lengthy season were fishable.

Even with a conservative figure of 12lbs/per person that seems like a stretch......

I think we all agree that this is BS but do you realistically think we could have possibly hit these numbers already?!?!?!?! Im callin in on monday, I want to see where they got their info......

"NOAA Fisheries Service has determined that the 2012-2013 recreational annual catch limit of 409,000 pounds for black sea bass has been reached."
Why do they even say this?!?!?! The 2012 season started in June 2012 and will end in Sept 2012. It doesnt even extend into 2013 or even the nest year anymore!!!!! Why not just say the three month season will close early? They just want it to sound like you had a whole year to catch Seabass-

Lucky Jack - .......The Surprise is not old; no one would call her old. She has a bluff bow, lovely lines. She's a fine seaboat: weatherly, stiff and fast, very fast, if she's well handled. No, she's not old; she's in her prime.

Last edited by Waiting2Exhale; 08-25-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: because the SAFMC is suspected of being gay, very gay....
Waiting2Exhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
1bosshog2

Re: Seabass closing....again.....earlier

I have heard rumors that they are trying to bring Virginia into the South Atlantic Fisheries fold. I dread the day that happens. The feds have gone off the deep end with some of this stuff.
1bosshog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Waiting2Exhale
.....born upon the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bosshog2 View Post
I have heard rumors that they are trying to bring Virginia into the South Atlantic Fisheries fold. I dread the day that happens. The feds have gone off the deep end with some of this stuff.
Be afraid friend, be very afraid.....

Id fight it tooth n nail if I were you

Lucky Jack - .......The Surprise is not old; no one would call her old. She has a bluff bow, lovely lines. She's a fine seaboat: weatherly, stiff and fast, very fast, if she's well handled. No, she's not old; she's in her prime.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
mjmoore83

NOAA gets their numbers from state and federal fish reports done by commercial and charter fishermen. They also do random surveys at public boat ramps throughout NC and SC and I do not know about the rest of the states. To keep my charter license I have to fill out a trip by trip fish report. Everytime I leave the dock and return I have to document every species I keep and how many pounds those individual fish came to; along with what/how many fish species I released dead or alive.

NOAA has their ways of estimating the population but they do not fully understand how to make analysis of these fish reports becuase they have only been doing it for a few years. Unfortunatly for us they have a big heart and want to have plenty of fish for our grandchildren which is a good thing in the long run but they have to take care of people's jobs and the todays sportsman. When they changed the size limit in July to 13in they were going to drop the limit down to 3 per person but they were sick of hearing us bi**h so they threw us a bone. Then they come back and say the quota has been reached early so there you go.

There is a down side to these fish reports; unfortunatly some people do not know how to add or look at fish and tell how much they weigh. Did you know a 22inTL black seabass is only 2.25lbs maybe 2.75lbs. They look like they are 5 or 6lbs but looks can be deceiving. A white grunt that is 22in will be 4-4.5lbs; you see some fish are heavier than others. Inshore black seabass turn into males much earlier in life than resident fish that live offshore. Thats why you find big females offshore and few big females inshore. (Black Seabass are all born female and turn into males later on in life depending on average water temperatures, depth of water and nutritional intake) Males have extentions on their tail and have more white under their lower jaw (females have more purple under their jaw). Males are usually darker in color on average. Did you know black seabass turn pale in color almost tan when they have sand in their gills and/or there is a lower salinity like after heavy rain; this is a good indicator of how the vis is going to be on the bottom before diving.

Ok I got off subject; back to fish reports. So if the federal and state government sees that charter and commercial fishermen are harvesting tons of seabass then they think they are over harvesting. If they see that they are bringing back few seabass then they think they already overharvested and their is none left so its a lose lose situation for us fishermen. Thank the stars we have a bunch of fish kissing hippies regulating our nations fisheries; makes lots of sense. Grouper will also be closed early along with vermillion snapper.

Dont come in untill you run out of ice or the fishbox is full
mjmoore83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
Waiting2Exhale
.....born upon the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmoore83 View Post
So if the federal and state government sees that charter and commercial fishermen are harvesting tons of seabass then they think they are over harvesting. If they see that they are bringing back few seabass then they think they already overharvested and their is none left so its a lose lose situation for us fishermen.
This......is why no fisherman wants to cooperate. Damned if I do and damned if I dont. So how come with so much anti-sentiment towards the study are fisherman still participating. If its just an "educated guess" based on charters than that is unfair and misguided representation........

I know boats here get stopped and asked but NEVER once were any questions regarding Seabass.

I also know several of the acting and prior SAFMC members, many live here, and each one will tell you what a load of shit the whole Seabass thing is.....yet it still comes to fruition every year........imagine that

Old 08-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
mjmoore83

If we reached the quota so fast shouldnt that tell them that there is plenty of seabass out here?

And I do not have a choice but to fill out those trip reports. If I do not fill out a report every time I leave the dock I have my charter license taken away from my from the state. There is contact paper on these reports so we have three copies. One copy is for my records, one goes to the state DNR and the other goes to the feds. Again and again I have written all over the pages " if anyone is actually reading this please call me at ######" and I give them my personal cell phone number. I have been doing this for two years and have yet to recieve a call from anyone; so I am assuming noone is actually reading these reports.

Dont come in untill you run out of ice or the fishbox is full
mjmoore83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
Waiting2Exhale
.....born upon the tide

Ok so I talked with Myra today at SAFMC and boy was I surprised!!!! We had it wrong this whole time!!!!!! The quota has not been reached but is expected to be reached or surpassed. How you ask??????

Apparently the close was issued after JUNE's report came back with 61% of the total 409,000lbs being reached........wow, in one month??????? Man this is worse than I could have ever imagined. Leaves you thinkin that either someone is lying about their catch, that seabass are waaaaay too abundant or that 409,000lbs of seabass is not that hard to ascertain. All three could be possible but I only see two that are probable.

How bout some new math, huh??

61% of 409,000lbs = 249,490lbs

divided by the 30 days in June = 8,316lbs/day

divided by a "typical" boat load and limit(50lbs) = 166 trips per day in four states

which means 41 boats, that fished just that day, were contacted in all four states.......pretty hard to fathom

Want another good one? Divide 409,000lbs by the number of saltwater fisherman who could/are fisherman and see how many pounds per person are alotted to you by the NMFS. I gaurantee you it would be less than one pound per person....

Again this assumes that all 30days in June were "fishable"......

Old 08-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
Knightlife

Send a message via AIM to Knightlife

What have you heard about the new Closing date for Grouper?
Knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
Waiting2Exhale
.....born upon the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightlife View Post
What have you heard about the new Closing date for Grouper?
Not a thing- what did I miss???