Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 298 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #2131
ddeangelo

Re: Santa Barbara Conditions Report "Perma-Thread"

Vis was excellent in Carp last two days. Up to 20' or so off the bluffs.
ddeangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #2132
SBH20Man
Brent

Just ran up the coast from the harbor to Goleta pier. Mesa was an easy 15+ feet of viz and 200 yds off the Goleta pier, I could clearly see the bottom in 25' of water. The sewer pipe rubble pile was easily distinguishable.

More Mesa/Full Crog was green and turgid

Generally the viz looked really good.

Anyone up for an early morning dive tomorrow?

Today could be the best day!
SBH20Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #2133
fisherman1133

Hey SB I would be down text me or call me tonight to let me know 805-455-3999.
fisherman1133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #2134
Namor
Goletard

I hit the Dev red zone for a dive this morning. It was kind of a tense dive that started with 3 jetskis and a Radon tearing through the kelp within the first 20 min in the water. I was able to talk to the ski guys on their way back and bitched at them for not staying outside the kelp when they are ridding so fast. One guy was a diver and assured me that they were keeping an eye out for divers in the kelp; he was cool and respectful, which is more than can be said for me Im sure.

Vis was 2-12' and the water was cool with fairly strong surge. There was lots of bait, and plenty of reef dwellers, but I came home with not a critter. I didnt see one crab or bug. If I were a good diver I would have scored the big calico I saw in the cave, the fat octopus I couldnt grab fast enough, and the full sized ling (biggest Ive seen in the water) that I spooked; but I didnt.

I did have a good dive till I got sea sick at the end as the swell picked up.

Anyone get a look at the mesa or north goleta today?

Jeremy
Old 11-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #2135
fisherman1133

Went out today with SBH2o and Forrest, thanks guys had a blast! We hit Mesa Lane but checked as far north as Naples. Mesa had the best viz at about 5 to 8 with better horizontal than vertical viz. Between the three of us we shot some rockfish a Calico and a lone Cab. I didn't see any bugs but the guys said they saw one each. Always awesome to get out though and especially with new people.
fisherman1133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #2136
ForrestG
World Traveler

Ha, you mean between the two of you! I was too busy re admiring last nights dinner!
Old 11-20-2011, 02:04 AM   #2137
fish impaler

we dove mesa ln from our inflatable, vis was nice, but surgy
got some rock fish, saw some bugs and spent about 45 minutes working on one cave before eventually giving up.

fun dive, hopefully the vis holds out for tomorrow.
fish impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #2138
SBH20Man
Brent

I was really surprised (and disappointed) by how much the viz and conditions changed from Friday afternoon to Saturday morning. Top-to-bottom viz had turned to surgey 4-6 feet (less in some spots). It was one of those rare days where I felt quite "green" after sitting at anchor while putting on my gear to get in the water.

If the &%^* swell had not picked up late Friday/early Saturday it probably would have been an epic dive. Interestingly, the viz was best closer to central SB than it was up the coast, with better viz on the top water everywhere, then getting dirty at the bottom (classic symptom of wind-swell driven surge)

Next week may clean up in time for the holiday... (let's hope!)

Today could be the best day!
SBH20Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #2139
Namor
Goletard

Looking at the tides makes me a little hopeful, early AM ultra high tides, and If its a strikeout, ultra low minus tides in the afternoon for shell fish gathering and beachcombing.

Funny about you getting green from the motion of the swell, I got seasick at the end of my dive, and watching the cross swell toss the bug boats about from the beach made me so glad to be a shore diver.

Jeremy
Old 11-22-2011, 02:57 AM   #2140
CaliDiverDan

I'm going to be in the SB-Ventura area this weekend. I'd like to get some freedive/ spero time in if anyone is going out I can buddy up with. Send me a pm.
CaliDiverDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:45 AM   #2141
meangreen
Go Pokes!

What do you guys think, is it to early to collect some mussels this afternoon? I'm thinking the runoff from the latest rain might stop me from it.

Some would like to call it luck, I like to call it....... well, luck i guess......
meangreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #2142
Couplescaddy
Will Borgers

Send a message via AIM to Couplescaddy Send a message via Skype™ to Couplescaddy

Hey guys, I've been kinda on the low down for the last week or so, itching to get back in the water as I've been soo busy with work and such. would love to get an early morning dive in on Thursday (turkey day) before dealing with the fam if anybody is interested. Would love to make it a turkey and lobster day if possible let me know, 805-403-6546 or post your number up on here and we'll make it happen! hopefully the viz will be good for the long weekend!
Couplescaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #2143
Barley

Looks like a "seasonal local" commerical guy decided to cut off the bouys to over 200traps along the coast. Many longtime local commerical fisherman had thousand of dollars of gear left on our reefs due to the greed of a few bad apples.

If anybody is out walking the beach during the holiday and you find bouys please return them to the harbor pier if you can. All the guys who were affected would appreciate it. Many of the local SB Commercial fisherman are honest, hardworking guys who respect the resource they harvest and this crap sucks for all of us.

Also, if you are diving and come across one of these ghost traps, please open it so they do not end up killing lobsters. Be careful if you are doing this as you can get hung up on them underwater.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #2144
Mike Cloonan

Tides and solunar are looking good for the next couple days. Anybody seen the water today? I'm looking at getting tomorrow a.m. if anyone wants to join up, shoot me a call 448-2302.
Mike Cloonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #2145
ApneaAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barley View Post
Looks like a "seasonal local" commerical guy decided to cut off the bouys to over 200traps along the coast. Many longtime local commerical fisherman had thousand of dollars of gear left on our reefs due to the greed of a few bad apples.

If anybody is out walking the beach during the holiday and you find bouys please return them to the harbor pier if you can. All the guys who were affected would appreciate it. Many of the local SB Commercial fisherman are honest, hardworking guys who respect the resource they harvest and this crap sucks for all of us.

Also, if you are diving and come across one of these ghost traps, please open it so they do not end up killing lobsters. Be careful if you are doing this as you can get hung up on them underwater.
That's horrible! I can't imagine what someone was thinking cutting the buoys. Those ghost traps just kill and kill and kill.
ApneaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote