Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-01-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
Albondiga
A Harmer

Four Days at Catalina and Santa Barbara Island, Lobster Opener Limits

So I just got back from spending four days in beautiful conditions in So Cal.
It started Friday morning at 9 AM in San Luis Obispo, being picked up by the captain with the boat in tow. We headed down to Channel Islands Harbor and were launched by about noon. Speeding on flat conditions to Santa Barbara Island, we got there in a couple hours.

Our plan was to spend the half day scouting where the bugs were holding, so we could focus on the best area for the midnight opener. We wanted to check the Arch first, since it is a nice dive and has some scallops. As we approach it this other boat speeds over and parks right over the spot. We tried hailing them on 16 to see what the deal was, but no answer. They proceed to hop in the water real fast and yell for us to get the Eff out of there. Not sure what that was about but I guess they were afraid we were about to stumble on their secret fishing hole. B plan was a deep tunnel off a drop off. Anchoring in 60 feet we went over the edge and went through a huge tunnel that cut all the way through the reef. There were rosy rockfish, honeycombs, treefish, decorator crabs, and very few bugs. Our consensus was that the bugs were likely still shallow. On our way back to the boat we had a huge school of yellows emerge out of the green water and swim right by us. These were 30+ pound fish, and a beautiful sight.

We get up from that dive to find out that a key piece of the compressor was blown overboard while we were down. Now begins our run to Avalon. On the crossing to Catalina we spotted a white tailed tropicbird, which is a pretty cool sighting. By the time we get to Cat it is too late to find any parts. We decide to freedive a spot on the East End at midnight. We did decent despite there being mostly really small bugs. I managed 5 good ones, one of those was pretty decent. The next morning we head into Avalon first thing and were able to find the part from Desi, Discount Marine, (310) 625-9862. He pulled a used part off a carburetor he had laying around and even had on water deliver with his skiff. What an awesome guy.

So we go and check another spot on the backside of the Island. Vis was great, and it was one of the prettiest dives I have been on. So much life, and I even saw a baby WSB in the white water and a couple of 40 pound yellowtail in 20 feet of water. After a couple gorgeous dives playing with tiny lobster we decide to go back to our original plan of SBI.

After our first dive at Santa Barbara Island we know we made a good call. All huge bugs, nothing smaller than a half inch over legal, many 3-5 pounds. Vis was good, 30-40 foot, current was light and running downcoast. So we all finished out our limits on the first day pretty easily.

Our second day of lobster season started awesome. Went to a spot known for big bugs. We pulled a few 2-4 pounders, but then were able to double team a 7 pounder from his lair. Right after that I made a grab and bagged another 7 pounder. After that I sat out and the other two went in and pulled 3 more seven pounders from there. While they were down I heard on the radio about the search and eventual recovery of a 53 year old male at SBI. Anyone have any details of that? Vis here was 30-40 feet and it was calm. After that we moved since we were surrounded by dive boats and we wanted to get pictures of our bugs (we always moved before getting pictures of our big bugs). The next spot we had to break from the plan and head deep since the surge was picking up and it became a safety issue. It worked out for me, at 40 feet deep I pulled an 8 pound lobster from a hole slightly larger than him, no back door or retreat. Reach in, shake, shake, pull, shake, tug, twist...and then try, successfully, to get him in the NHT bag. Personal best lobster in the bag.
We all ended up limiting on the second day with no need for a night dive. Went to the anchorage and had an awesome lamb dinner.

The third day of lobster season was just as epic. Every dive someone came up with 6-7 pound lobsters, and a bunch of 4-5 pounders came up. The surge and swell picked up quite a bit and we had to choose our spots accordingly. Most of the spots still had huge surges. The kind that pull off your face mask and push your regulator purge down all the way. Still pretty clear though at 30+ feet vis, and fun diving despite the slamming into boulders and urchins and being sucked into huge caves against your will. Good times.

In need of one more bug to finish the limit, I get in at a spot on the North West side of the Island. Bad call, the vis was 20 out in deeper water, but nearshore it was 3-15 feet. The surge was completely intolerable. At a couple points I was tossed from the bottom up onto intertidal shelves. The bugs of course were in super shallow. I had to hold onto the sea palm in 1-3 feet of water to see the bugs down in a narrow crack that went down 10-15 feet. One more trip up onto the Island and I bailed.

We went to a calm spot where I found some decent bugs last year. I know it is not safe to freedive after scuba, but I did not really care at all. I threw on my gear while they blew up tanks. I saw a familiar looking truck sized rock, so I breath up, dive down 20 feet and enter the small opening at the bottom. I turn to the right and there was a nice bug. I grabbed both horns, one with each hand and shook the heck out of him. He came out without too much difficulty and I shimmied out of the hole. When I surfaced I held the 5 pound lobster high in victory for a 3 day limit for 3 guys, and a great time at the Islands.

When we finished we stopped at a nice spot for lunch and noticed a sea lion hauled out. It was missing a large chunk from its rear end and there was a seagull pecking at the tender bits. Glad I did not run into what made that sea lion's injury.

Hey, this is my 1000th post!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SBI1.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	196320   Click image for larger version

Name:	SBI2.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	196321   Click image for larger version

Name:	SBI3.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	196322   Click image for larger version

Name:	SBI4.jpg
Views:	871
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	196323   Click image for larger version

Name:	SBI5.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	196324  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SBI6.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	196325   Click image for larger version

Name:	SBI7.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	196326  
Albondiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Scuba Fever

Re: Four Days at Catalina and Santa Barbara Island, Lobster Opener Limits

Very nice writeup. Sounds like a fun weekend....
Scuba Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
SpearS0CAL
Beau

Epic weekend! Nicely done, those are some beautiful bugs. Thanks for sharing!
SpearS0CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Michael J

Great job Bro!! Stoked for you!

Congrats on ur PB!!

Lets go get ours. Get the crew lined up.
MJ.
Michael J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Big_Berg

Wow! Pretty bad ass report. Again you see yellows and don't kill them?!? Congrats in the pb bug. I hope we can get out for some bugs soon. I'm super excited to hit the lunch counter again as its been too long
Big_Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
laguna80
El Capitan

Sounds like an awesome trip! Everyone is killing me with all these reports. Seems like the opener was way better than last year. Being landlocked in Alabama is no fun!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
donny
<"))))><

nice report, glad you guys gotem and stayed safe. That sounds like 200# of bugs! Impressive but TMI IMO. And yes, I am a greedy bastard that doesn't like to share.
donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
GREENBEAN88

I'm glad you had a great opener, those bugs are such a nice size. I have to plan a trip like that next year. Congrats and I'm glad you guys are all safe.
GREENBEAN88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #9
beconfly
Danger to self

Sounds like an awesome weekend. What kind of boat are you guys on?
beconfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny View Post
nice report, glad you guys gotem and stayed safe. That sounds like 200# of bugs! Impressive but TMI IMO. And yes, I am a greedy bastard that doesn't like to share.
x2.

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
Chet

You are the man
Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
Scottywotty
Long Beach Neptune

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny View Post
TMI IMO. And yes, I am a greedy bastard that doesn't like to share.
Greedy bastard brother in arms, nice to see you finally admit it Donny!

Scotty
Old 10-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
NihilisticMisanthropist
Pass me the lube

your best report yet. glad you didnt tear off any bugs

most of them even look like they have all thier appendages

Old 10-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
Albondiga
A Harmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihilisticMisanthropist View Post
your best report yet. glad you didnt tear off any bugs

most of them even look like they have all thier appendages

Thanks. Definitely pulled a few appendages, but most were fairly intact.

I read the report of the diver who was lost. We were diving right there where they describe, between sutil and the sisters the night before he was found.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #15
Albondiga
A Harmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beconfly View Post
Sounds like an awesome weekend. What kind of boat are you guys on?
It is a 25 foot Davis. What an awesome boat!