Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 10-11-2016, 01:01 AM   #1
Brandon Sulik
Thirsty4SaltWater

Changing to a shorter shaft?

Hello Everyone,

What happens if I get a shorter shaft?

I have searched the board for threads about this, but couldn't find luck! Recently won a Hatch Amero 55" (140cm). Its a bit to long for the clarity I shoot in. So my question is if if I reduce my shaft length what would happen?

Click image for larger version

Name:	jpeg.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	229366
The image above is the speargun along side with measurements, I was thinking of reducing the shaft by 10 cm, making the overall length like that of a 130cm, yet still have the band stretch of a 140cm

My concerns (1) will I have shaft whip? (2) will I have to adjust bands/ shorten? (3) what will I loose? accuracy, punch, speed?

How short can I go, I know I don't want to go shorter then the end of the flopper?? So 10cm max??

Has anyone out there had a shaft that just barley sat out of their muzzle? not worried about looks, only performence.

Also if anyone has any info on the best set up for this gun band wise that would be great! Banding with Rob Allen rubber. let me know. This is my new blue water gun and I'm trying to have it on point. Installing 100m ulusub reel this week.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:02 AM   #2
Behslayer

Re: Changing to a shorter shaft?

Hi, Try the gun as it is first. It's your Bluewater gun, so the vis should allow the length? I'm not sure what the diameter of the shaft is? I'm not sure how the gun is balanced right now ie does it float or sink with the shaft? Is it nose heavy etc. You are going to add the big reel. This will change slightly the Balance as well, so add that first and see how it goes.

Changing the length of the shaft is not that big of a problem in itslef, but it may effect the balance of the gun. If I were going to shorten a shaft by 10cm on a well balanced gun, I would consider using a slightly larger diameter, ie if the shaft is 7.5mm I'd try 8mm. If the shaft was 7mm, I'd try 7.5mm. Another way to make up for any difference in balance would be to use some Adhesive Tire weights you could find at any tire store. you could stick those on the gun or in the handle.

Regarding the bands. Go on Spearitco.com. measure out your band stretch in both positions, and figure out what you want to use ie 320, 340, 360, ? if you have a 7mm (9/32") on that gun I would stay low. If you have a 8mm (5/16") you could go higher.

Bottom line. I'd use the gun as it is a few times first. Get a feel for it. If you have a Pool.. thats a great place to try new things
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #3
doyenofcastle

shorter than this will be tricky in aiming ,is there any problem using this length?
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #4
peripatetic

I built a gun based on the Amero, but re-purposed an AB Biller shaft that extends about 1 inch past the end of the gun (plus slip tip). It shoots like a laser. There would appear to be no need for the extra 10cm of shaft.

A shorter shaft will have less whip, not more
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:09 PM   #5
jfjf

I experimented with using a short shaft with near zero over hang. My shots were way off, high or low, I forget, but it messed up my aiming a lot. I doubt it made the shaft fly significantly different, but it was frustrating. I'm sure I could learn to adapt to it - eventually.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:50 PM   #6
Impaler Spearguns
Sponsor

on guns with et - short shafts make it very hard to aim- since you cant se the tip - you just use the gun to sight down and it's like shooting blind.
You can go short on a gun with an open track - especially a gun with a shallow track- because you can still see down the whole shaft.
This has been my experience