Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #1
Bob Ballew

Time to put in the Time Offshore!

...A massive school of bluefin is now just due south/southwest of San Clemente Island. It is good enough, that the long range boats from San Diego are coming up to hit it....Yft and first dorado catches have crossed the border... Yellowtail and seabass at all the islands and along the coast. Full moon waning down, lots of bait, some squid and good high tides bode well for both divers and fishermen. Mexico hurricanes should push up some warmer water and with it, more pelegics!!
... Monday, wife and I will be heading for Avalon town for 5 days, including 2 at the Wrigley mansion for her birthday/retirement, with lots of merlot and snacks on the patio overlooking all of Avalon (expensive, but, a good spot for your better half when she is paying for part of the gas...…...plan to scout the backside spots a few times to start the season and see if I can hit ten feet...first trip of the season to test out the electronics on the squid grounds, boat upgrades, etc. Taking the big reels in case the water is too green to dive, although diving green water is an excellent way to get close up shots on seabass ..still, .combo rod/spearo trips have their fish benefits at times and heading s/w of SCI isn't out of the question......
...Regular gas at the Alamitos Bay gas dock is $4.79 a gallon (subtract a 10 cent discount if you are a member of Tow US) vs. $3.39 regular on a credit card & $3.52 for supreme for the truck at Vons and $3.29 for regular at Arco plus a $2.00 credit card fee....I fill up five extra 5-gallon jugs of regular at Von's and Arco to extend my Parker 25 range without gassing up in Avalon; at over $7 a gallon during the summer season....That will get me out to west of SCI and back to Avalon, if needed...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 07-25-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #2
Lompoc Local
Errin

Re: Time to put in the Time Offshore!

You shouldn't be using Costco or any other type of shitty gas in your boat dude

Chevron all day

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #3
HEX
Hector F.

Chevron is all advertisment Hype bro. Here's a list top tier gas that has to meet high standards to be able to make this list. We just had a thread going about this on BD...

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/
Old 07-09-2018, 06:00 PM   #4
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEX View Post
Chevron is all advertisment Hype bro. Here's a list top tier gas that has to meet high standards to be able to make this list. We just had a thread going about this on BD...

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/
Chevron is not hype dude it's the real deal. Notice that Chevron is on your list.

I had been running crappy fuel (USA Gasoline) in my boat and truck for years. I burned out two carburetors in my boat and my truck was noticeably not running smoothly.

Took the carb in to be rebuilt the second time and new mechanic at the Mercruiser dealership asks what type of fuel I'm using. Tell him USA Gasoline. He immediately says not to use that crap anymore and use strictly Chevron. So of course I listen and apply the same logic to my truck.

Boat is running like a dream and after three straight tanks of Chevron in my truck I can't even hear the motor anymore it's running so smoothly. NO doubt in my mind that Chevron is a superior gasoline. No doubt.

Second tier gas brands are buying leftovers from the primary refiners and then adding ethanol to get the octane rating up. Ethanol is no bueno for boat motors and really any fuel system, especially older carbureted motors like mine.

Not sure how Costco got on that website's good list cause they are buying leftovers from the primary refiners. I personally would not use that in my boat

Old 07-09-2018, 07:41 PM   #5
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
Chevron is not hype dude it's the real deal. Notice that Chevron is on your list.

I had been running crappy fuel (USA Gasoline) in my boat and truck for years. I burned out two carburetors in my boat and my truck was noticeably not running smoothly.

Took the carb in to be rebuilt the second time and new mechanic at the Mercruiser dealership asks what type of fuel I'm using. Tell him USA Gasoline. He immediately says not to use that crap anymore and use strictly Chevron. So of course I listen and apply the same logic to my truck.

Boat is running like a dream and after three straight tanks of Chevron in my truck I can't even hear the motor anymore it's running so smoothly. NO doubt in my mind that Chevron is a superior gasoline. No doubt.

Second tier gas brands are buying leftovers from the primary refiners and then adding ethanol to get the octane rating up. Ethanol is no bueno for boat motors and really any fuel system, especially older carbureted motors like mine.

Not sure how Costco got on that website's good list cause they are buying leftovers from the primary refiners. I personally would not use that in my boat

No doubt Chevron is top tier fuel, you end up paying more though due to their marketing that techron shit, same with Shell, but my point was that these other brand (the ones on the list) are also top tier brands that are just as good and most of the time you pay less money than buying Chevron, Shell. In example Costco brand gas it made the list. USA didn't make the cut due to them not being able to meet the standards, it's just low tier fuel. That was all I'm saying

Last edited by HEX; 07-09-2018 at 07:53 PM.
HEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #6
malibujohn

Man I don't know about that list? I didn't see Pemex on there!!:
malibujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:22 PM   #7
aus
squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibujohn View Post
Haha came here to write exactly that
aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:27 PM   #8
LookPointShoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibujohn View Post
There's a Pemex station here in Bakersfield. That confused me. Not sure if Pemex is branching out to other US cities or maybe they just figured Bakersfield is basically Mexico

Are there Pemex stations in the coastal cities now?

I'm surprised Arco is on the top tier list. I've definitely had mechanics give me the same warnings about them that Errin got about USA gas. I've never had any problems from it. The limiting factor of what we put in our boat is usually just which station is feasible to get the boat in and out of. I'll pay 10 extra bucks to not have to McGuiver the boat out of a sketchy gas station layout.
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #9
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookPointShoot View Post
There's a Pemex station here in Bakersfield. That confused me. Not sure if Pemex is branching out to other US cities or maybe they just figured Bakersfield is basically Mexico

Are there Pemex stations in the coastal cities now?

I'm surprised Arco is on the top tier list. I've definitely had mechanics give me the same warnings about them that Errin got about USA gas. I've never had any problems from it. The limiting factor of what we put in our boat is usually just which station is feasible to get the boat in and out of. I'll pay 10 extra bucks to not have to McGuiver the boat out of a sketchy gas station layout.
ARCO has their own refinery in SoCal so they are not buying leftover fuel from another refiner. They produce gasoline and then it goes straight to the station. Not surprised they made the list but I still wouldn't put their gas in my boat. I have a 2000 Mercruiser 4-cylinder and it's more finicky than newer motors. If you're running a relatively new outboard I'm sure the fuel doesn't affect the motor and fuel system as much as it will mine.

Agree with you about the station layout. I am def willing to pay a little more to get a better quality gas in the boat and for ease of use while filling up. Chevron is not significantly more expensive than the cheaper stations, we're talking like 0.20 cents per gallon here.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #10
Castor

My buddy and I went to our favorite spot the other day and I had 2 yellows in the boat before he had his suit on. I had my limit by 10:30. Some good size to them. There are a ton of fish out there. If you’ve never shot a yellow before this is your year!!! Get out there.

Last edited by Castor; 07-10-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #11
divenfish

Thanks Castor,were the yellows gas or diesel powered?
No doubt they were not toptier powered since you got your limit by 10:30
divenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:57 PM   #12
Postmortem
Eric

Fuel quality 100% makes a difference in the reliability and longevity of your engine. Old fuel can gum up injectors or carburetor orifices, rob your rig of power and fuel economy, cause hard starting, foul plugs. Too low of octane can cause predetonation resulting in pinging and poor power and economy and even engine failure. Fuel from station to station of the same brand can vary depending upon how frequently their reserves are filled. All these little things make a difference in the long run. Personally I run 76, shell, chevron, or Mobil in my boat. For an extra $10-15a fill up it's worth it to me. I also run marine stabil to preserve my fuel and lines since my diving is irregular. Take it for what it's worth, and believe me I'm all about keeping my trip expenses down but this is not the area to skimp.
Postmortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:38 PM   #13
Castor

Quote:
Originally Posted by divenfish View Post
Thanks Castor,were the yellows gas or diesel powered?
No doubt they were not toptier powered since you got your limit by 10:30
All yellows shot that day were taken on Cheveron Premium.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:58 AM   #14
divenfish

Thanks for the report, Castor!
divenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #15
Greasy Gar

Ethanol/Additive free gas > Everything. Chevron has Techron in it. "Detergents and molecule scrubbers" = problems
Greasy Gar is offline   Reply With Quote