Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:36 PM   #1
riley's hump

Dengue fever

With all the traveling diver so now I wondered if any of you have had Dengue fever or the new emerging virus Chikungunya and where you caught it? I am very wary of where a I travel these days after catching it for the second time in the Dominican Republic in 2006.Very very sick. The first time was years ago in SE Asia. CDC Drs. advised me to be very careful as greater chance of having hemoragic next time. I can tell you it is not called break bone fever for nothing and is increasing in most of our favorite spearing areas of the world. Both are established now in SE Florida. At least the strain of Dengue there is a milder version.
A positive note the cases in Costa Rico declined last year. I advise all travelers study up on it and take mosquito precautions. You don't want either.
riley's hump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:19 AM   #2
bluebacore

Re: Dengue fever

I have gotten it twice. First time in Thailand in 2001. I think I got bitten on Koh Chang but fever came on in Koh Tao when went to dive with whale sharks. 2nd time got it in Bali when staying at Uluwatu in 2011. The first time was much worse than the second. Fever lasted 12 or 14 days temp of 104 for a week or more and temp outside 104. Would lay in bed with horrible pain in joints, bones, and cramping muscles. Sheets would be soaked with sweat 24/7.Went to hospital in Koh Samui stayed over night after first week. Doctor told me that if my blood platelet count dropped any lower they would have to give me a blood transfusion. I lost 10 or more pounds and I was already skinny after 9 months of traveling. I looked like a strung out crack addicted afterwards. I did not really fully recover for 4 to 6 months from first episode.
Second time was more mild but still very bad. Only lasted a week or 9 days spent 2 nights in hospital in Bali because of worried wife and recovered much quicker than first time. I was told by a doctor in San Diego who doing a study on peoples blood who had, had Dengue fever that there are 3 types of the Dengue fever. There is no cure and there is no inoculation. Best bet to avoid it is mosquito repellent and wearing long pants and long sleeve shirts when mosquitos are most active which is usually early evening or first few hours after sunset. You can get it at anytime during the day or night though. YOU DON'T WANT DENGUE
bluebacore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
Behslayer

Sure. I had that stuff several times.. pretty painful and can get pretty trippy. I remember one instance walking down the street in the city of Denpassar in nothing but a Sarong looking for the Hospital.. when I finally arrived there and saw hundreds of sick people in makeshift beds I got out of there as fast as I could. The trick is to not get bit by mosquitos.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:44 AM   #4
riley's hump

After two times you are much more inclined to get hemorragic which is the fatal variety. It is expanding and mutating I have read. Very common many cruiseship ports. Not much said about it in tourist areas. I just heard a up and coming surfer in Hawaii had contacted it somehwere on a trip and died recently? I'm sure gun shy. Traveling divers should be more aware of it. Mostly larger populated areas.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:23 AM   #5
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

I don't think I have ever had Dengue. I had a mystery fever, but I would assume they would have tested for Dengue along with everything else. (They told me it was tick bite fever. Then they told me the blood work said it wasn't. I asked what the blood work DID show and they told me if I felt better I should go back to my site. US Peace Corps baby!)

I DID get Malaria at least once. That was wretched.

At least with Malaria, the moquitos that host it only come out after dark. If you stay under a net all night, you should be fine (so goes the theory).
What about Dengue? Is it only hosted by a specific mosquito species? Are there precautions to take to avoid exposure?
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:15 AM   #6
stillinscrubs

The ban on DDT needs to be lifted. Strict guidelines on use would allow for the decimation of these mosquito species, the diseases they spread, and would protect other wildlife susceptible to over use.
stillinscrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:48 AM   #7
riley's hump

Same mosquito that carries maleria, chikigunta and yellow fever. The main plan in countiures now is a GMO modified male that is supposed to cut down numbers with out decimating bird population as DDT did. It will never come back. Panama started releasing new mosquitos a year or so a go and the Fla keys is working on it.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:39 AM   #8
Behslayer

That Surfer you read about died from a Drug Overdose. That being said plenty of people do die every year from Dengue. I lived for over 20 years in a Dengue Hot Zone. For example Blualbacore above visited my town and got Dengue.. The Dengue Mosquitoes bite during the Day. The Malaria Mosquitoes bite during the night. I figure the Chikungyna mossies bite whenever they want. The bottom line is to not get bit by mosquitoes. It's that simple.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:36 AM   #9
davidiskol

i just got back from a 3 month trip in costa rica and caught dengue ! i was out for ten days a local friend gave me herbs that grow everywhere on the caribean coast of costa. the herb was called sososari or nosari. drinking that tea got rid of it in about 3 days.
davidiskol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #10
davidiskol

http://www.thekriol.com/that-bitter-...t-or-cerassee/

heres a link to the plant
davidiskol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:16 AM   #11
riley's hump

Here is informative link on Dengue, also list of plants of world used for treatment. As stated once you have it much more likely to aquire hemorragic net time. Have lived around mosquitos all of my life from tropics to arctic and hard to keep from getting bitten in tropics.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3765846/
Old 02-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #12
HurricaneBK

I took care of a friend with Dengue in Panama, it didn't look fun. Since its a specific type of mosquito that carries both Dengue and Chik there's a proposal to release males of that species to breed with the females and create non-viable offspring.

"The aegypti prefer urban settings. They love backyards (not marshes), bite during the day and easily breed in tiny spaces (soda bottle caps, for example). Insecticides, which can harm other organisms, often miss them."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/20/us...toes.html?_r=0
HurricaneBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:50 PM   #13
Behslayer

When I say 'Don't get bit by Mosquitoes' That is what I mean. It is very possible to not get bitten by a mosquito every day. You just need to be diligent. wear Repellent. wear your wetsuit as much as possible.. If you need to clean a fish, etc, stay in your suit, burn a coil nearby, stay in your hood, keep your gloves and boots on. Control the environment, or dress for it. Light color clothes, Socks, Long pants, LS Shirts. I lived in ground zero of Dengue and Chikungyna for 20 years. Other things are eat a lot of Bitters and Garlic. Drink Papaya Leaf tea or eat certain bitter leaves, this makes you less desirable to mosquitoes. Have Health Insurance with Evac. If you need get Dengue etc, sometimes the best thing to do is to go somewhere immediately with good doctors. In places where you get Dengue, you get other things. Rabies, Snake bites, etc. Have insurance with Evac.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #14
riley's hump

Good information. i started this post because I was surprised at the lack of public information and knowledge on emerging viruses in the areas we like to dive. Most people have never heard of Dengue but lots of travelers get it and there is little publicity of it. Guess would be bad for tourism. My last bout in the DR the guy in the next room died and my case was severe. Got it in city shortly after getting off the airplane.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #15
Behslayer

Have travelled all over Indonesia with a Dirtbike, a Speargun, and a Mosquito proof hammock. Dengue is bad, but Cerebral Malaria is way worse.. Taking anti Malarial Medicine is not good either, so the protocol was Do Not Get Bit. Not even once.