Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Kayak Diving

All About Kayak Diving Here is a place to discuss the growing travel mode of kayak diving.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
rhoadsmd

Help me design my Yak!

Hey everybody!
I am currently on a deployment for the U.S. Navy but when I get back in 8ish months I plan on purchasing a yak to be used mainly for spearing but with the option of H&L. After doing a bit of research I am leaning heavily towards a 12+ ft Prowler.

Here's a little background info: I currently use a 55inch JBL elite as my "big gun" with a couple smaller rail guns as my backup; I will be using a jeep wrangler to transport the yak (so I need to if I need a trailer, how to beef up security for a jeep, etc); I dive mainly out of La Jolla; and I am completely open to ideas on how I should set everything up.

I see a ton of custom jobs and I was wondering what mods were most beneficial/popular/efficient. Would you guys recommend purchasing one off craigslist versus a store and if so, what should I be wary of (i.e. warping, holes, etc)?

Any info you guys could throw out there I would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance and happy hunting

Money can't buy happiness. But it CAN buy fishing gear... And that is almost the same thing
rhoadsmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
North Star
Max

Re: Help me design my Yak!

Hire Diablo Loco (Bryan Mabrey) to design it for you. He is the king of kayak modifications. Or, read his posts on kayaks.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Topcat333
TheCleverFisherman

I have a Hobie Mirage Outfitter - Quite spendy - I love it because I can use my legs as power and switch off to the paddle when I want, lots of room for Free diving, scuba, fishing equipment and a cooler - If you just dive get a light narrow yak that cuts through the water but if your looking to do it all get the Hobie if you can swing it. I am 6'2 220lbs and it is quite comfortable for me
Topcat333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
rhoadsmd

Ok guys so it looks like I have a pretty good deal lined up for this yak off a fellow spearboard member. It looks to be setup for the most part but could probably do with a fish finder and some other mods. I especially like to fitted cold bag for the back hatch. Let me know what you guys would do to take it to the next level ok! Thanks everyone!

Scupper pro double-hatch for sale SD

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=132566

Money can't buy happiness. But it CAN buy fishing gear... And that is almost the same thing
Old 10-18-2012, 02:51 AM   #5
Lino
209-202-DIVE

Send a message via ICQ to Lino Send a message via MSN to Lino Send a message via Yahoo to Lino

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoadsmd View Post
Ok guys so it looks like I have a pretty good deal lined up for this yak off a fellow spearboard member. It looks to be setup for the most part but could probably do with a fish finder and some other mods. I especially like to fitted cold bag for the back hatch. Let me know what you guys would do to take it to the next level ok! Thanks everyone!

Scupper pro double-hatch for sale SD

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=132566
I don't know you, scupper pros are great, if your a skinny person.
I myself have one and just bought another, both Tank Well version, I don't care for the double hatch, I prefer to keep my fish separate from anything I stow inside the kayak, so much easier to through my fish in the tank well.
I said something about the weight because a bigger person might be better off with Prowler 15, close to the Scupper Pro, but a little wider, I know people that have bought the scupper pro and did not like how narrow it is, for me it's perfect.
I do not recommend a short kayak, or one that is too wide, some other choices are Wilderness Systems Tarpon kayaks, like a 140 or 160, there may be other models I'm not aware of, I have never owned anything but Ocean Kayak so I cant say much on these.
I also recommend buying used, many great deals to be had out there most will come with a paddle already.
Color, best any bright color for others to see you, orange, yellow.
The kayak in your link is beautiful, but I would not pay over 500 for it.
Hope this is of help to you.
Lino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
phil herranen

Scuppers are great and since you can't get them new anymore ,they are very sought after and the price seems fair to me . I would stay away from the mirage drive hobies ,they are fast and cool but are white shark magnets , the last 4-5 hits up here on yaks were on hobies ,it makes sense the drive looks just like flippers ,I bet it sounds like a seal to sharks also

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
rhyne

@ Phil... huh, no $H**. that's an interesting little detail. crazy.

I definitely 2nd the buying used route. there are so many out there and it doesn't sound like you're in a rush to need one... I've spent a TON of time shopping and learned that taking at least a month or more to familiarize myself with not only the specs i'm ultimately looking for, but to get familiar with the market has proved to be a wise route for making wise purchases. For us freedivers, speed and stability are valuable assets. short yaks are fun in the surf but not for paddling distance. I have a scupper and it's OK... but i'll be on the look out for something else soon... probably either a Cobra or I recently used a Prowler which was awesome.

www.BRINKexpeditions.com - 6-pack Spearfishing, fishing & Custom Charters. San Diego, CA
Your Gateway to What Lie Beyond the Shoreline

www.coroflot.com/RyanSweeney - Apparel Design & Development
rhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
Goody1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyne View Post
.....For us freedivers, speed and stability are valuable assets. short yaks are fun in the surf but not for paddling distance. I have a scupper and it's OK... but i'll be on the look out for something else soon... probably either a Cobra or I recently used a Prowler which was awesome.
I have been competing in the northeast for a couple years now. I have a prowler and I have to tell you to stick with the scupper. They are much faster on the water than the prowler.

When you only have so much space during a tourney, the fastest yaks get the best spots first.
Goody1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
rhyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody1986 View Post
I have been competing in the northeast for a couple years now. I have a prowler and I have to tell you to stick with the scupper. They are much faster on the water than the prowler.

When you only have so much space during a tourney, the fastest yaks get the best spots first.
hmmm... i'm gonna bet that what i have now isn't a scupper then. The Prowler was faster and more stable than whatever i have.

www.BRINKexpeditions.com - 6-pack Spearfishing, fishing & Custom Charters. San Diego, CA
Your Gateway to What Lie Beyond the Shoreline

www.coroflot.com/RyanSweeney - Apparel Design & Development
rhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
Lino
209-202-DIVE

Send a message via ICQ to Lino Send a message via MSN to Lino Send a message via Yahoo to Lino

Because the scupper pro is narrower I would be faster than the prowler, but a person with a 40 inch wasist is going to have a problem sitting in a scupper pro.
This is why I say something about considering a persons size.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
rhoadsmd

Hey guys. I ended up going with the scupper. I think I can make it work I'm not necessarily a skinny person but I doubt that I'll tip the yak lol. If this one doesn't work out I'll give it to the wife and get another one. For now though I'll just focus on making this one as effective a fishing machine as I can. I was checking out Diablo Locos thread on yak mods and I was considering setting up those spear gun holsters in the rear. What else would you recommend?

Old 10-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
Lino
209-202-DIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoadsmd View Post
Hey guys. I ended up going with the scupper. I think I can make it work I'm not necessarily a skinny person but I doubt that I'll tip the yak lol. If this one doesn't work out I'll give it to the wife and get another one. For now though I'll just focus on making this one as effective a fishing machine as I can. I was checking out Diablo Locos thread on yak mods and I was considering setting up those spear gun holsters in the rear. What else would you recommend?
With a double hatch, I think most guys stow everything inside.
You can tie something to the bow, for an anchor, or a kelp clip.
Also learn about how not to sink your kayak, this has happened to a few guys on spearboard, learn from their mistakes.
If you like the double hatch, you will not be disappointed with this kayak.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:23 AM   #13
Goody1986

Adding a mesh bag to the bow section for lobster is always nice.
Goody1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #14
Fis_Hunter

The scuppers are nice kayaks I wanted one for a long time until I sat in one it was ok but the seat was a little tight with a wetsuit on. I went with the Prowler trident 15. I realy like the rodpod you can store almost any size gun. I also like the tank well a lot plenty of room for fish and abalone. There is enough room between the two hatches to store all your gear inside. The biggest diffrence between the two is the weight limit. The specks are below.

Scupper Pro
Specifications:
Length...............14'-9"
Width..................26"
Weight................55 lbs.
Max Weight Capacity............350-400 lbs. (Depending on sea conditions)

Prowler Trident 15
Specifications:
Length...............15'-7-1/2"
Width..................29"
Weight................60 lbs.
Max Weight Capacity............500-550 lbs. (Depending on sea conditions)
Old 10-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

I have a prism by perception and it is basically a scupper clone. Two hatch. I rigged bungee over the rear hatch to keep quick grab gear and stow most everything inside. A good insulated fish bag is a MUST if you have fish inside the yak, the slime and blood will cover everything and occasional small fish might get lost and rot in the yak. Ewwww
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote